What should I do??

I am kind of in a tough spot.
My mom is a (mostly) practicing Catholic: she brings us kids to Mass on Sundays, makes sure that we receive the Sacraments, and doesn’t miss a single day of holy obligation. However, when it comes to practicing the faith at home, there isn’t a whole lot. Recently she fractured her foot and I gently hinted that she could pray a Rosary while she was resting her foot. She decided not to, and later that day she was telling me how it’s practically impossible for her to fit praying the Rosary into her day. :shrug:

She told me a couple days later that she knows she is lukewarm but doesn’t really care. I don’t know what to do. Jesus told St. Faustina that it was the lukewarm souls that caused him the most agony in the Garden of Gethsemane. I recognize that my mom is doing a great thing by taking us to Mass and providing a reasonably solid base for our Faith, but I wish she could cultivate it at home a little more. Am I asking too much, and should I back off?

Yes, you should back off. Suggesting to your mother how to conduct her spiritual life is not your place. She also does not need to explain to you why she does or does not say a rosary when you suggest it.

I agree that it’s too bad she said she “doesn’t care” that she is “lukewarm”. Ultimately though, we each have responsibility for our own spiritual lives. It isn’t wrong of you to want to cultivate that at home, and you can invite her to do certain things with you if you want. Ask her to go to daily Mass one day, ask her if she’d like to join you in saying the rosary, watch a show together on EWTN, etc. Inviting her to do something with you is different than “gently hinting” that she should be doing something, which is not really appropriate since she is the adult and you are the child.

Keep praying for your Mother. I’ll be praying for her.

I disagree with some of the statements above. We are our brother’s keepers and we should help each other in our journey to Heaven. Pray for your Mom and gently and occasionally share with her your Faith experience. Share with her what Jesus told St. Faustina just like St. Monica insisted on St Augustine stopping to sin. Then, let her choose but now with this knowledge of the Truth.

Yes, invite her to Mass, or the Rosary. Share with her what you learn but remember that your responsibility is limited. Sometimes we are too gentle. We must love souls with Zeal but always keep a strong prayer life so that the Holy Spirit leads our intentions and actions. I will be praying for you and your mom at daily Mass today.

It’s great that you want your Mom to have a more vibrant faith life. We should all want that for our parents and all those close to us (and, indeed, everyone).

As to what you can do about it, you’ll have to be discerning about it. You don’t want to badger her. Sometimes a person’s faith journey is more like a marathon than a sprint. You may need to move slowly – always moving forward, but at a pace she can accept. I like the idea of extending invitations to do things with you.

Really, the only thing that can snap us out of lukewarmness is a genuine encounter with Christ. And that’s not something that can be forced. We can plant the seeds and extend the invitations. But then it’s up to them to respond. And it takes some people longer than others. That’s okay, though.

And of course the most important thing for you to do is pray. Pray for openness. Pray for discernment. Pray for your mother. :slight_smile:

Alright, thank you.

The next time you think it would do her good to pray the Rosary, you might have more luck if you asked her to pray the Rosary with you. That is both harder to turn down and probably more edifying for both of you.

Took the words right outta my mouth…

Okay, that sounds like a good idea. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.