What should I do?

For years I had lived in a state of mortal sin, and just recently I have been joyously taking part in the Sacrament of Confession. However, no matter how hard I try, I always feel like I fall back into a state of sin, soon after being absolved.

I went to Confession last Sunday, and this week I found myself in sin again. For instance, I even committed one of the worst’s sins, pride. Not against God, but against others. I feel so bad about committing such a deadly sin only days after being in a state of grace.

My question is if I go to Confession tomorrow, do you think the priest will even absolve me for what I have done in such a short period of time?

Thanks and God Bless.

Just a thought, but maybe you are being too strong on yourself. The world we live in requires as much fortitude and patience as at any time maybe in history.

I would consider going to Confession as often as you’d need to. But, always remember the love that you bring with you can elevate you as much as the daily transgressions may bring you to Church Confessional.

Also, I believe faith is very important - perseverance to the end. Any doubts about this or feelings of despair may be alleviated by the all too common idea that we are only human and God loves us through it all.

So go to Confession but I believe God is with us all through the daily transgressions that may transpire.

if you are sorry for your sins, and repent, he will give you absolution. go to confession and receive the eucharist as often as possible. we need it for building strength against sin. we are all sinners, including our priests. God is merciful! don’t doubt that, and don’t forget it. God bless.

I really can’t see why you wouldn’t be absolved. If you didn’t care, you wouldn’t be posting on here, for one.

Seeing as how you are coming back to the Church :yyeess: I am concerned about your thinking on the deadly sins. I think you should ask a priest when and if pride is a mortal sin for you.

Just because you accuse yourself of committing a deadly sin does not mean it was mortal.

Remember that Jesus forgave Peter for his abandoning of Him.
Of course escaping sin is important, but a moment of pride or anger is not going to damn us. Our task is not impossible. Earthly saints (excluding Our Lady) were not perfect.

“I plead with you! Never, ever give up on hope, never doubt, never tire, and never become discouraged. Be not afraid.”
“If He asks much of you, it is because He knows you can give much.”

• St Pope John Paul II

A valid confession requires, as part, a strong commitment to amend your life. This does not, however, mean there is a certainty of amendment - that is, you will, most likely, sin again. We all have our ‘favourite’ sins, the ones we commit the most often. For this reason, we NEED to go to confession more often. To overcome our sins, habitual or not, we need God’s grace. We get that through the sacrament of reconciliation.

Also, know that priests have heard it all, and then some. There have been times where I’ve gone to confession several times in a week - the priest is not there to brow-beat you, but, though the ministry of Christ, to forgive you, and help you grow in spirit and truth. Frequent confession is HOW you defeat your sinful vices, not the final ‘act’ after they’ve been defeated.

It’s unreasonable for you to expect yourself from not committing any sin whatsoever. Even the saints committed unintentional venial sins, which helped keep them humble.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.