What should I have done in this situation?

I know there are already threads on Wicca and Paganism and all that but my question is more specific. Also I don’t know if this is the right forum for it so move it if its not.

I live in a shared house with two baptised but non-practicing Catholics. They have both become interested in Wicca/ Paganism/ even Satanism.

Last night I was just leaving the house to go to Benediction, I was asked where I was going and I told my friend. He sneered and asked why.

I said I don’t mock your moon goddess or whatever, so let me worship who I want, when I want.

I know my reply wasn’t very Christ like (what can I say, I am not Christ). Should I have just been silent? If not, what should I have said/ done? Its hard to invite them to Christ when they have already rejected Him.

I think your response is in the ballpark. Try not to stoop to their level next time. “I don’t disrespect your religion, so I’d appreciate it if you didn’t disrespect mine.

If this is a constant issue it might be time to move though. I’ve lived with a Wiccan before. She was always respectful. I’d never live with a satanist though. :flushed:

@MockSock change your house or room,love with discernment.Philippians 1:9 And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight,do not eat or drink what they give you, speak to a pious priest who has the gift of deleverance.sprinkle holy water in your room or keep a crucifix in gthye room,better brink a catholic priest prayed in the room and get it blessed.

Care in Choosing Friends
Sirach 11:29 Do not invite everyone into your home,
for many are the tricks of the crafty.
30 Like a decoy partridge in a cage, so is the mind of the proud,
and like spies they observe your weakness;[d]
31 for they lie in wait, turning good into evil,
and to worthy actions they attach blame.
32 From a spark many coals are kindled,
and a sinner lies in wait to shed blood.
33 Beware of scoundrels, for they devise evil,
and they may ruin your reputation forever.
34 Receive strangers into your home and they will stir up trouble for you,
and will make you a stranger to your own family.

1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”1 Corinthians 6:12 [ Glorify God in Body and Spirit ] “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are beneficial. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything

She’s not a Satanist per se, but they both have these religious/ spiritual interests. She has talked about Satanism and the Satanist “bible” several times before (I hope there isn’t one in the house!)

I have been asked to join them in sacrificing a bull and sprinkling the blood, though.

Time :clap: to :clap: move :clap: !

Get a St. Benedict crucifix, have it blessed, place it above the door to your room.

It really is time to move.

YOU STICK TO YOUR FAITH and keep praying for them they are getting into something very wrong and very bad. If at all possible try to find new roommates ASAP.

Thanks for all your replies and concern. I will not bore you with the reasons, but its really not possible for me to move right now. I do have reason to think she will be gone within the next six months. He is not so bad as he is just interested in Wicca and pagan mythology as far as I know, it is she who is leading him to much worse.

Also, it would be difficult to separate myself from my house mates completely because they are actually my childhood friends and our families are very close.

It might sound a bit odd, but until I wrote it down on here, the bulls blood thing never really seemed very serious to me. (Obviously it does now).

@Francis How important is it to bring a priest to the house? My room is not exactly Buckingham Palace🙂. Does Lourdes water count as holy water or does it have to be blessed? If I can find some blessed chalk can I write the Epiphany blessing over the door, or does it have to be Epiphany for that? Can I write it on the inside or does it have to be on the outside?

@mrsdizzyd I’ve never heard this thing about the St Benedict Crucifix. I have quite a few (small ones). What is the protection they give? Can you explain or post a link?

Was my response appropriate, do you think? In the situation I described in the first post.

Troll, troll, troll the boat, gently down the stream…

[quote=“MockSock, post:8, topic:500026”]
How important is it to bring a priest to the house?

Normally it is done every year after the Easter, or some do it during the enthronement of the sacred heart of Jesus house blessing, or anytime when you need, but with a good reason.am just saying, the gravity only you can really sense.

Doesn’t have to be, just keep it clean since it is Jesus coming to your house, remember cleanness is next to Godliness

yes,if it is blessed by a priest it’s a sacramentals, is it mixed with other normal water? http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c4a1.htm

1673 When the Church asks publicly and authoritatively in the name of Jesus Christ that a person or object be protected against the power of the Evil One and withdrawn from his dominion, it is called exorcism. Jesus performed exorcisms and from him the Church has received the power and office of exorcizing.178 In a simple form, exorcism is performed at the celebration of Baptism. The solemn exorcism, called “a major exorcism,” can be performed only by a priest and with the permission of the bishop. The priest must proceed with prudence, strictly observing the rules established by the Church. Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.

yes do it according to your faith.It is better to read the word of God in the room.like Pslam 91, Luke 1:46-55 also say the holy Roseary Mother Mary will hyelp you

I think your reply was very Christlike.

You have received good answers so far, but I would like to answer this one question:

Water from Lourdes is indeed special, even miraculous for some! Nevertheless, it is not holy water until it has been blessed, so please ask a priest or deacon to bless it for you before sprinkling it around your room. Praying for you and your roommates :pray:

What a strange household - you live in !

But he, knowing their thoughts, said unto them,
Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation;
and a house divided against a house falleth.
If Satan also be divided against himself,
how shall his kingdom stand?
because ye say - that I - cast out devils - through Beelzebub.

And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils,
by whom do your sons cast them out?
therefore shall they be your judges.
But if I - with the finger of God - cast out devils,
no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace,
his goods are in peace:
But when a stronger than he shall come upon - him,
and overcome - him,
he taketh from - him all his amour - wherein he trusted,
and divideth his spoils.

He that is not with me is against me:
and he that gathereth not with me
scattereth.

When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man,
he walketh through dry places, seeking rest;
and finding none, he saith, I will return -
unto my house whence I came out.
And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.

26 Then goeth he,
and taketh to him seven other spirits -
more wicked than himself;
and they enter in, and dwell there:
and the last state of that man - is worse - than the first.

Yes it is quite weird sometimes :wink:

Please can you explain what you are saying with this quote.

Is the kingdom which is divided against itself my house, my household (since I have said we are all old friends), my soul? Or something else?

Is it I that has the unclean spirit who leaves and returns with seven others within me? Or is it within my house or room? If it is within my house, household or room then should I take any action at all if it will only return with seven others more wicked than itself.

The armour I presume is holy objects, prayers, blessings, etc. (Correct me if I’m wrong). But according to this quote it doesn’t work because the wicked spirits just return. Please explain further.

Wow really? I was feeling bad because I thought it was hypocritical of me to speak to him like that on the way to Benediction. But your reply is very reassuring, thanks.

It’s kind of a two against one scenario - in your household.
You do have your hands full - from a spiritual perspective.
"(since I have said we are all old friends) "
I hope you find way better Catholic friends.
Not people - who are dabbling with the occult - near to your bedroom.

The St. Benedict medal is very powerful when it comes to protection from evil. It doesn’t have to be the cross, it can just be a St. Benedict medal on or over the door. I just like the St. Benedict cross because it combines the crucifix and the medal.

You must have it blessed with the appropriate prayers said.

Here is more information on the St. Benedict medal: http://www.catholicapologetics.info/library/onlinelibrary/Benedict.pdf

@Seagull

good, observation, two against one, as said in Ecclesiastes 4:9 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. 10 For if they fall, one will lift-up the other; but woe to one who is alone and falls and does not have another to help. 11 Again, if two lie together, they keep warm; but how can one keep warm alone? 12 And though one might prevail against another, two will withstand one. A threefold cord is not quickly broken.

yes good advice,a quote said show me your friends and i’ll tell you who you are ,you @MockSock should never trust anyone who is not a practicing Catholic,they worship satan and sacrifice to him.

John 2:24 But Jesus on his part would not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people 25 and needed no one to testify about anyone; for he himself knew what was in everyone.

Romans 2:28 For a person is not a Jew(Catholic) who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. 29 Rather, a person is a Jew(Catholic) who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart—it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but from God.

yes very true, 2 Corinthians 2:11 And we do this so that we may not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.

If they actually did sacrifice a bull and where not just saying stuff for shock value, they have probably broken the law. U.S. law for sure.

I love - that quote !
I think it speaks well of the importance of a solid family - first and foremost.
I think God said - early on - it’s not good for man to be alone…
then Paul…it’s better to marry than to BURN ! Yikes -
But also - Jesus may have said - one will be taken - the other left.
May the family unit stay strong -

But this question sounds like a hippie commune - lol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.