What should I have done?

I’m an altar server at my church. Lately, I’ve had to deal with unpredictable severe back and stomach pain that makes me get very, very hot. Unfortunately, it hit during mass on Sunday.

I had served at the mass prior to this one, and I was fine, but the pain hit me during mass #2. It was so bad I had to leave mass before the consecration and go to the sacristy. I could not go back in, and had to call my mom to pick me up. Luckily, the other servers could cover for me.

My question is, what should I have done? I received communion at mass #1, but was it a sin to miss it in mass #2? Did I react appropriately?

Thanks very much for all your help!

Doesn’t sound like you had any alternative - it certainly makes no sense to keep going when you feel extremely ill.

And no, you certainly committed no sin of any kind. It is only the priest who is obligated at any Mass to receive Communion.

I thikn you did fine. If you are ill, you should be excused from serving and the other servers picked up the slack. Since you had already been at an entire Mass that Sunday, you were also fine from that stand point.

Please ask your mom to make a Dr appt for you though!

You poor thing :frowning: I started getting those episodes in my late teens; inherited it from mom. I can’t imagine anything worse than being in an altar server role when one hits! You definitely did not do anything wrong.

You definitely did the right thing. Even if you hadn’t served at another mass earlier, it would have been right to go home.

As the others said, you did great.

Note that while it is permissible to receive at a second mass there is no requirement to do so. There isn’t even a requirement that you receive at the first mass. One is only obliged to receive Communion once a year in the Easter Season.

I have two environmental suggestions for this week. As almost everyone who likes to breathe clean air knows, Earth Day was April 22. But one day is not enough. We should celebrate Earth Day year-round, from the time we wake up until we go to sleep, all day, every day. After all, we want a clean, healthy, and enjoyable environment all the time, not just one day a year. So my first suggestion is that we start celebrating Earth Year and make Earth Day something we did last century. used laptops texas mortgage lending cash out of refinancing

Many people already have the Earth Year attitude and contribute to making our environment safe, healthy, and pleasant in myriad ways. One of my favorite activities, which I hope is a contribution, is to answer questions that help people become familiar with the intriguing array of life forms and ecological interactions that exist in the world. The complexity of both exotic and everyday plants and animals is fascinating, and I applaud everyone who wants to learn more about the natural world. So my contribution to Earth Year is to answer questions and respond to opinions related to environmental awareness and appreciation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.