What should I pray?

There are two moments in church when I've always been confused and not sure what to do.

When I kneel upon entering a pew before Mass--is there a particular prayer I'm supposed to say?

And after receiving Communion, is there a particular prayer for that time?

In both situations I've always kind of made it up on my own, but I feel kind of silly not knowing what to do. :shrug:

You could print this out and pray it before Mass
Prayer Before Mass

To be honest, it's been a while since I've been able to kneel before Mass and pray, but when I did, I took that opportunity to talk to God. Please help me focus on the Mass, help me be patient with distractions, etc. And I'd end with a Hail Mary.

Here is a prayer for before Communion and a prayer for after Communion, but I prefer to pray the Anima Christi

Often you can look on the back cover of the missalette in the church and find some great prayers. The Anima Christi is there.

[quote="on_the_hill, post:1, topic:336219"]
When I kneel upon entering a pew before Mass--is there a particular prayer I'm supposed to say?

[/quote]

It could be as simple as asking God to help you to fully experience Mass and to be open to what he might have to say to you.

And after receiving Communion, is there a particular prayer for that time?

I often find myself giving thanks. This is also a good time to listen.

In both situations I've always kind of made it up on my own, but I feel kind of silly not knowing what to do. :shrug:

Making it up on your own sounds like a fine approach to me. No need to be formal.

Make it personal!

Before mass I usually pray the "Act of Contrition". After communion, if I am not singing, I'll pray the "Anima Christi" and "Prayer of Self-Dedication", both available on iMissal. In this part of the country (Oklahoma), it is common that people will kneel and pray after the recessional; when I've asked, I've been told they're usually praying "St Michael, the Archangel".

-- Glenn

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.