What should I say re: class reunion?

I have been corresponding via e-mail with an old classmate. She is organizing the class reunion (20th). I said I was not attending. I mentioned that I have not been working and told her what was going on. She said another classmate wants to pay for my ticket and asked me if I want to attend. The truth of the matter is that I have no desire to go, and finances are not the reason. What should I tell her? I do not want to lie.

I would just say that you are unable to go at this time but that you appreciate the generosity of your classmate. Simple and to the point. If she asks why, I would simply repeat, “It sounds like a great event, but I just won’t be able to make it.”

Thanks. :slight_smile: That’s what I’ll do.

I don’t see what the problem is with just laying it out there and saying that you don’t have the desire, as much as it would be great to see her again.

This always happens to me. Sometimes i have no desire to do anything. Most of the time what happens is i go and then really appreciate the fact that i got up and got out. I always have fun…im just not so motivated. I would just go and have a blast tell her you’ll pay for your own ticket.

I went to my 20 year class reunion. No thanks. If I could do it over, I would not have attended. I have not kept in touch with these people, we have nothing in common, and you can only make small talk so long. The cliques were the same, even after 20 years (this was a small town, and many never left, so the cliques continue, and now they all have kids in school together, so I’m still on the outside). (I moved on to college and then moved out of the town). Blech.

I do not want to go. I do have friends that I will be doing something with. My friends are not the ones I knew in high school.

Here’s what I said in part of the e-mail I sent her.

Hi ______,

Please tell ____ that I appreciate ____ generosity, but it is not a money issue. I have other plans and will not be able to attend.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.