"What should our attitude be as Christians toward the Muslim Fast?"

You ask me…I love Muslims for living such a principled life when they honor the Ramadan fast…after all our Lord Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights in the desert…so honestly as a Christian I admire the Muslims who fast,

www1.cbn.com/onlinediscipleship/%22what-should-our-attitude-be-as-christians-toward-the-muslim-fast%3F%22

Agreed, I’ve actually had some of the best faith discussions with Muslims. I also lived in a Muslim country for two years. While I didn’t follow the fast, I had respect for and no real issues with the practice. Besides, the best thing was that you could shop without all of the crowds (the shops tended to be run by Filipinos or Indians). :wink:

When I was in Jerusalem back in 95, outside the walls of the old city, not just fast, but when there were 15 mysteries (not 20 as we have today) to the rosary, and I heard the Muslim call to prayer 5 times/day broadcasted over loud speakers from one of their minarets, I prayed 5 mysteries of the rosary. :wink:

As always I pray(ed), standing in the very land of Jesus, His holy family and apostles, and the beginning of the Catholic Church, for the conversion of all souls in the world to Christ in His one Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.

That is a nice story…thx for sharing

Thx for sharing and nice message my friend…

I have no opinion. If a Muslim can respect Lent, I can certainly respect their right to Ramadan.

I see it as a good way to open discussion about the Christian Faith and learn more about the local practices of Muslims.

I would be hesitant to partake in it. The article mentions, and it just makes sense logically, that it may give the impression you are on the way to converting.

I agree. Blurring lines serves no purpose other than confusing the already confused.

God’s covenant went the direction of

Abraham-----> Isaac----->Jacob[INDENT]NOT
[/INDENT]Abraham----> Hagar------>Ishmael

In Context

Matthew 6 Prayer
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
but deliver us from the evil one.**’
14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Fasting
16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Amen!

MJ**

Title is a bit leading. Why should we have any attitude toward a Muslim fast? Why do we need to trouble ourselves with their fast. It’s their fast not ours. Some one mention it’s admirable to see dedication to their faith. And I agree, when I see a Muslim (doesn’t happen often) lay out paper towel so they can do thier prayers. I think what a great witness to their faith, than I get annoyed when they leave the paper towel on the ground for someone else to clean up.

I respect other faith traditions right to exists, right to freedom, right to safety, right to worship etc etc. But I’m not sure learning about Ramadan or embracing it on any level will help me grow as a Christian. Our local Mosque had a open house and they were icalling it Islam 101 and I wanted to attend. Purely for intellectual reasons. I didn’t have an attitude about it. Unfortunately I missed it and I’m very disappointed.

Admittedly I did not click the link so perhaps this entire post is missing the point. But a thread should not rely on a link for its substance so hopefully my post has some revelance.

Cheers and God Bless

No feelings either way; it’s not my religion. Not admiration, not hatred. Or perhaps, more bluntly, I do not care.

My own Catholic faith has its penitential season and its own cycle of prayer, all of which I consider worthy practices to worship God. THAT is good enough for me. I do not need to admire or envy Islam for that.

Their piety, self-denial and discipline is something I admire a lot.

I work at an Islamic school and today I am proudly wearing my cross…hopefully some of the Muslim parents take notice and ask me about my religion…and I will then ask them about their religion. During the Ramadan season there is an upsurge in spirituality among Muslims and I suppose it has brought me to be closer to Christianity :). Our Lord Jesus teaches us Christians to love, not hate, we are even taught to love our enemy…it would be unthinkable for this Christian to say something negative of Islam and I know Muslims who defend and love Christianity like I do with Islam.

I agree 100%

Our attitude should remain Christian and not to feel the slightest if ever asked to join the break of fasting. Also as a Catholic I will certainly make the sign of the Cross before the meal . :harp:

MJ

That’s a good reminder (bolded) for us all to proclaim Jesus the real Jesus.

Peace be with you.

MJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.