What should we do about secular music today?

So, I watched a Catholic speak about how some music has subliminal satanic messages in them and we should ignore them. Now, I’ve listened to Led Zeppelin since I was sixteen, and the only thing they made me ok with was pre-maritial sex… but I wonder: what is the limit? When do we say: Enough!

The ONLY thing they made you ok with? Hmmmm…

I think being OK with pre-marital sex is already MORE THAN ENOUGH! Not sure but I think God would agree with that:o

I’m leary of subliminal satanic message claims, but I would say we draw the line as soon as the music starts to irrationally affect how we see certain issues. Premarital sex, for instance, is absolutely wrong, and we ought not listen to music that confuses us on the issue.

Of course which music does this varies person to person, different people have different tolerances for this sort of thing. I tend to avoid all music which celebrates evil, but this isn’t much of an achievement for me because I can’t stand most styles of music that most often have those themes anyway.

Actually even some popular standards from the early 20th century carry some pretty bad messages. Even some folk songs such as “Little Brown Jug” celebrates alcoholism. Then “Swanee River” or “Dixie” celebrate black slavery. So it isn’t just modern music that celebrates evil things.:shrug:

Can’t say anything about your specific examples, but it certainly is true that it’s not purely a modern phenomenon. It does seem more common now though.

Regardless of what you choose to do about the music you listen to I would highly suggest you take some time to figure out who you are and what your values are. There is no reason whatsoever that a band should have that much influence over your beliefs and morals. I listen to a lot of music from a lot of different genres, and sometimes an artist or song will strongly contradict my beliefs and values, but I never change them because of it. Same with movies and TV.

For your sake you need to determine what you believe and what your morals are, and then not let them be challenged by overpaid entertainers.

I believe that years ago the evil messages were more or less hidden by poetic language. Today it’s right out there in front of God and every body.:eek:

Agree. This is where free choice comes in. If you find yourself drawn to things you find questionable you need to look at yourself for the why.

In the 1960s, certain words and phrases were added that were code for something bad. Today, it’s in your face. Nasty as We Wanna Be. So, the line has been crossed. Your choices are music prior to 1968, and no secular music. I mean when I heard George Michael yelling “I Want Your Sex” in the late 1980s, I didn’t know it had been banned from play on some American stations and in Canada. Time to just say no to dirty, immoral media.

Peace,
Ed

Some secular musicians do have songs with lyrics that glorify or even promote immoral behaviors such as drug use, prostitution, fornication, and other things. The best thing to do would be to simply not listen to or purchase music from these musicians. One could also write to the music industry and to certain musicians and express their concern with such immoral content. One could also write to legislators and ask them to pass legislation which would place restrictions on immoral music lyrics. Unfortunately there is not much in the way of legislation here in the United States that I know of which would work. There is legislation which requires one to be 18 or older or have parental permission before buying music with explicit lyrics though and that’s a good thing. I suppose one could write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper about concern with immoral lyrics in music. Another thing you could do is make others aware of immoral music lyrics and musicians who make such music. One could encourage others not to buy music from these musicians or listen to it. One could also encourage others to do the same things mentioned above. I am not sure what else could be done other than the things I mentioned.

Well, there’s also modern music without vocals. And some country. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s hilarious that people are still worried about “satanic subliminal messages” when the obvious messages of many songs are already promoting grave sin.

Personally, I occasionally listen to secular pop and rock songs. I look at the lyrics and determine whether they significantly contradict my morals or celebrate evil. And whether I even like them. If I don’t like them for any reason, or they promote immorality (with me, these tend to line up), I don’t listen to the song anymore. I’m not saying that’s the only way to deal with it, but it’s what works for me. I mostly avoid commenting on other people’s musical tastes.

When people play “Blurred Lines”, OTOH, I fly at them in a fit of feminist rage. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, BEL was spot on when she said bands shouldn’t have control over our morals. If you think they are having undue sway in your thoughts on these matters, maybe switch to a different genre of music until you get your thoughts straightened out.

If you do decide that your line has been crossed, I think the sensible thing to do would be to stop listening to and buying that music.

Yes, thank you. I’m not personally so easily swayed by outside sources to alter my core beliefs. Instead of censoring what other people might view, one could simply avert one’s eyes - that is not read, watch, listen to what one finds objectionable.

It’s not a personal choice matter. There are words I hear coming from the car next to me at the stoplight. There is NO WAY those words are good for anyone, and it’s usually turned up loud.

Politely complain about it here and encourage others to not listen to it.

Peace,
Ed

I like music a lot and I used to listen to rock music when I was younger but now I cant stand it. Am I alone in the world when I say I hate all rock and roll? From Billy Joel to Led Zeppelin and most especially the Beatles! Yes I said it especially the Beatles! I hate the imbecilic repetition, I hate the effect its had on western culture, I hate the way it makes light of sin! I hate the way it is the preferred theme music to every sick type of debauchery there is! I hate guitars and even the shape of guitars!

I know some people are going to say “its not all bad” and even though I still have a soft spot in my hart for, or am still tempted by, the B52’s “Love Shack” I think we would all be better off without it.

I dream of a day when American popular music once again can turn out people like Cole Porter and Ella Fitzgerald instead of Lady Gaga and whatever other clown you want to put in there. Am I the only one that feels like this?

I wasn’t even thinking in terms of possible censorship, because that just isn’t practical. Let’s face it, standards are only going to get more, not less permissive. And even if they did get more restrictive, like edwest said, there’s always the chance that you’ll hear it from someone else’s car or home. All you can do is set your own values and go from there.

To a certain extent, yes, one’s choice of music IS a matter of personal choice. There are songs that don’t help anyone, but I don’t think everyone needs to draw their line at exactly the same place.

To be clear, I agree with you that the sort of music you’re talking about isn’t good for anyone. But secular music exists on a continuum- some isn’t objectionable at all, some can be interpreted multiple ways, some contains a single reference to immoral activity, some just accepts that immorality is normal, some actively celebrates it, and some is about possibly-nonconsensual premarital sex where every other word is vulgarity. While the final category is without any merit, I’m not going to say that we can only listen to things in the first category, either. :shrug:

To make such a general statement about secular music is silly.

Bottom line. If it causes you or someone you know to fall into sin, then don’t listen to it.

Probably not. Maybe. I can’t comment, since I don’t know who most of those people are. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does this mean that I shouldn’t tell you that I’m listening to Skillet while I’m typing this? Christian alt-rock for the win. :smiley:

If you like the tune or beat of a certain song, but find the lyrics objectionable, you can do what I do: Christianize it!!! That is, sing it with Christian words. :slight_smile:

God bless,

Rony

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.