What sins did Jesus pay for?

[LIST=1]
*]Did Jesus only pay for original sin?
*]Or all sin? Original sin and all mortal and venial sins?
*]If he payed for mortal and venial sins, why do we have to pay for them in purgatory?
*]If it’s only original sin he paid for, is “sin of the world” referring to this particular sin?
[/LIST]

From what I gather, even though a sin is forgiven, it still has to be paid for. But we can’t pay for the original sin because it’s too large. I think…? But I don’t see how we can pay for a mortal sin in purgatory either, since the cost is one life. I do understand Jesus’ life is worth an infinite amount, which can pay for all sins though. So, what details am I missing or not understanding?

Feel free to elaborate. Thank you!

[FONT=Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on the necessity of Confession. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.[/FONT]

**[FONT=Arial]Recommended Reading:**[/FONT]

[LIST]
*]Confession the Early Church Fathers
*]Forgiveness of Sins
*]**God Is too Hot to Handle **(Protestant Misconceptions about Confession) by Jason Shanks
*]
A Confession to Make
by Tim Staples
*]The Fathers Know Best: Confessing to a Priest
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.