What sins do you think most catholics are unaware of?

I think tithing (giving 10% of your income) to your church is one and I just found that out a few days ago myself. Also I don’t think many catholics think missing mass every sunday is a mortal sin.

Catholics aren’t taught that giving a 10% tithe is compulsory on pain of sin. It’s about giving what you can of your time, treasure and talents. Per the NT God loves a cheerful giver not one that is forced to give a certain amount.

surrogacy (a way for having a child)

Giving $0 is not a sin… you can give your time & talents to the Church.

https://hsccatl.com/Stewardship/Worksheet

It says its not optional to support one’s parish financially. And it should be around 10% of your income.

Missing mass on days of obligation is also sin.

As for tithing, time, treasure and talent are accepted.

I know a lot of people on fixed and limited incomes that donate time and talent.

I find it very creepy :eyes:

This is the guideline put out by one parish.

The Church does not expect people to give more than they can afford.

Again it is not sin to not tithe.

This is a suggestion on some church’s website and not official dogma.

Our diocese has over the years put out a similar formula, making it very clear that it is optional to meet the suggestion of a total of a 10% figure (only 4% to material needs of parish if I recall, 1% diocese, 5% poor people). I’ll point out that the word “tithe” does appear in the CCC, in conjunction with the poor, not the parish. It is not a option to love our neighbor or to meet the precepts of the Church. But there are various ways to do that. Here is the precept passage and the tithe passage

2043 …the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability…

2449 Beginning with the Old Testament, all kinds of juridical measures (the jubilee year of forgiveness of debts, prohibition of loans at interest and the keeping of collateral, the obligation to tithe, the daily payment of the day-laborer, the right to glean vines and fields) answer the exhortation of Deuteronomy : “For the poor will never cease out of the land; therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor in the land.’”…

It could be a sin because if you’re not generous with the Church it shows a sign that you lack faith in God’s providence and trust in God. Therefore, not having faith in God is a sin.

Even a poor person can offer 10% even though it may be little compared to someone well off. Remember the story of the poor widow who gave more than the others.

If you are giving less than 10% then you are tipping God like a waiter in a restaurant. But if you give 10% or more then you are giving God a true offering.

I know Catholics who don’t know it is wrong to use birth control or things like IVF.

IVF, pride, gluttony, sloth , not helping the poor and I’m sure there are others I can’t think of now

Murder - - - - - - - - - -

“Since there are so many people prostrate with hunger in the world, this Sacred Council urges all, both individuals and governments, to remember the aphorism of the Fathers, “Feed the man dying of hunger, because if you have not fed him, you have killed him,””(Gaudium et Spes)

NOT A SIN!!!

I discussed this with a priest and he said the Catholic Church is the church of the poor!!

Which is why “tithing” is not part of Catholic teaching!!!

What if no one donated to the Church because its optional. You have a duty to support the Church financially. Being generous to the Church is of the first commandment.

I beg to differ. It was called to mind in Confession when my Priest asked if I had any sins of omission and I asked him to give me an example and the first thing he said was helping the poor.

It would seem to me that a lot of Catholics aren’t aware that gossiping is a sin. Also that trashing people is another serious sin…

There may not be a direct dogma about this but we know you can’t love God and mammon (money). If you are not giving you could be committing idolatry because you value security and money more than God’s providence.

Most Catholics don’t realize that refusing to believe certain teachings is the sin of heresy. Most don’t know that malice toward any other person is a mortal sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.