What sins done by others makes you personally angry?

For me things like murder, rape, robbery, pretty much all property and theft crimes make me personally angry. Taking the Lords name in vein makes me angry. If someone is disrecpectful to their parents that makes me angry. Those are the sins of others that make me angry.

There are a lot of other sins, obviously, but I do not ‘get angry’ when someone does them (I may have left one or more out that hasn’t come to mind when making this post, and may revise my list based on what others have to say).

I recognize all sins as sins but don’t get angry over other people doing them.

As an aside, do people believe/feel that priests ‘get angry’ when others commit sins? I mean they sit in confessional booths and listen to the actual people who have committed certain sins telling them right to their face the sins they have committed. In my experience I haven’t sensed that priests have gotten angry when I have confessed sins. And I have broken commandments and lived a sinful life for many years when I was away from the church, I had morals but they were not in line with Catholic teaching, and as such committed many, many sins. Yet when I went to confession for the first time in 17 years I did not sense the slightest bit of anger from the priest. And I am greatful for that. I feel that the experience brought me closer to God and think that if the priest had gotten angry with me I might have had an opposite reaction, rather than being drawn closer to God and Jesus I might have reacted with fear and withdrew from the Church again. But I felt love and acceptance from the priest and that was just what I needed. I already knew every sin I did was wrong. But because the priest seemed to have the Holy Spirit working through him, drawing me closer to God and Jesus, I am a much better man today because of that experience.

Additionally, does anyone get and remain resentful about sins committed by other people, and if so are these sins committed against you or loved ones, or by peple in general? I used to be very resentful of all the sins my parents and grandmother who raised me committed against me, and it left me filled with hate for several years. I have since come to believe that by forgiving them I personally am in a better space, my heart is not reliving the experience of feeling angry over and over again, and the sins they did were very bad.

In addtion to the sins that you personally get angry about others committing, do you think priests get angry about people committing sins. I would immagine their jobs would be extremely difficult if they got angry at every sin, because they listen to them so much. But I am renewed to my faith and in a learning process and curious as to what others have to say on the matter. And I’d immagine that if they resented people in general for committing sins I don’t understand how they could remain priests.

God Bless,
Bill

All of 'em, :p. Except for the ones I’m personally guilty of :D:D

Seriously, this is a thought provoking question, and I will have to think on it a while.

Personally about the Reconciliation stuff, my Priest actually curls his lip up at me and looks quite disgusted. I should probably go to Confession now, but he truly scares me.

:shrug: littlechicken

A priest should not get angry at you. He hates the sin not the sinner. If you don’t judge others you won’t be judged yourself. In fact the priest is happy that you were smart enough to accept the Lord and confess your sins to him. The Lord told us himself that this makes him rejoice so why shouldn’t the priest? That is who he serves. If you serve the Lord you should try to remember his teachings when dealing with the sins of others. If you forgive you yourself will be forgiven. If you don’t judge you won’t be judged. Remember that you have no idea what their life is actually like.

The lord said that being angry at your brother (some interpretations say without reason some don’t) puts you in danger of hellfire (different interpretations use different words in the place of hellfire). That is not the exact wording by the way I haven’t been reading enough to get it word for word.

That doesn’t mean priests won’t get angry sometimes. Imagine how hard their job really is.

I’m no expert but I doubt I said anything wrong here.

You know the phrase, " he pursed his lips". Maybe he is pursing his lips while he thinks. Some people do. It doesn’t mean disgust. It means the person is thinking.

Bill, not so much angry as profoundly sad that people hurt other people. At times, overwhelmingly sad and wearied by the cruelty and injustice that people inflict upon others…and the knowledge that at each ordinary moment of my life this is occurring in a multitude of ways to a multitude of individuals.

Like you I used to get angry about a whole lot of stuff. I have read Joyce Meyer’s book at that has improved my life enormously. The books as she has several , can be purchased at local book stores.

Nope, this isn’t a pursing, this is a curling. Really. It happens at other times too, not just in Reconciliation. Of course I had over 40 years of a hedonistic life to confess… wish I would have known all about this confessing stuff years ago.:shrug:

I do try to think of all a Priest goes through, they are to present the Bride spotless, and that can’t be an easy task.

Yes, I hate to see people hurt others intentionally, and I think that sums it up for me. It’s likely a catch all, but a good one.

littlechicken

Yes, thoughts such as these can get overwhelming, and lead one to despair of the human condition.

One of the Sins that people do, which makes me really mad is> “Promiscuous Sexual Activity” At nighttime, and immediate confession the next morning.

I know quite a few people who stick to this routine.

I don’t get it, is it common for most Parishes to have Reconciliation services before Sunday Mass? Or am I just reading what you’re saying too literally?
My Church only offers Reconciliation on Saturdays, and by appointment.

Just curious.

littlechicken

Well where I’m currently located, we only have reconciliation once a week. At my previous location, there were loads of churches around and one Monastery at the heart of the city, which offered reconciliation almost every hour of every day. There were 5 confessionals, and 5 different priests rotated around a daily schedule to provide people with the ability to do confessions.

It’s kind of sad I no longer live there, I miss the way churches there were organised.

Edit: The Monastery I mentioned is located in Central Europe. That might explain the differences…

Ahh, I see. I can also understand why your saddened by not living there any longer, it sounds…well, heavenly. :slight_smile:

The way you worded your original post, I was imagining someone misbehaving, going to Saturday evening Reconciliation, then not even being able to wait until Sunday Mass before misbehaving again!!:blush: :eek:

Yes, “heavenly” is a nice way to put it.

The sins of another that make me personally angry are the sins that impact others on a huge scale.

When a girl/woman is raped. It’s all fine and dandy to be sorry for destroying her life as she may have known it, any sense of safety, security, everything. But she has to still live with the sin of another forever.

When a person from our family was kidnapped to never be seen again. I’m pretty human when I say, I just don’t care how sorry the person that ripped the family to its core may be. They aren’t sorry enough.

Although I wouldn’t counsel a person to damage their own soul, but you know, keep it on your dime. Exercising ones own free will to sin is one thing. Imposing those sins on others. Like I said: Very human here. These people need to be very thankful for the Grace of God. As I am. 'Cause without it… well…

I have to agree, I was just reading that they think they’ve found the body of Jessica Ridgeway, the little 10 year old girl that came up missing in Colorado, and have been crying my eyes out since.
Between the tears, well, I’ve never felt such intense loathing in all my life thinking that someone could harm a little one so horribly.
When I say intense loathing, I mean it, it is gnawing and deep.
Please pray for the little girl’s loved ones.

Yes, all of them. It makes me so angry that I have to live in the presence of all these sinners. Do you believe the nerve of them. They have the nerve to distract me from the contemplation of my own awesomeness. phaw.

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I thought that in order to be forgiven, or to do a proper reconciliation, one had to not only be truely sorry for what they had done, but also needed to have in their hearts an honest desire to change the behavior.

Is this not correct? I’m newly back to my faith and the Catholic Church, but I think this is something I remember from when I was a boy being raised Catholic. That it wasn’t enough simply to confess your sins, you had to want to change your behavior and try to do so.

Yes? No?

God Bless,
Bill

Thanks for the replies, I included in my list all crimes of violence and property crimes against others (so the unspeakable examples a couple of posers listed would obviously quality).

Something that just came to my mind, I used to watch this show ‘leaving the Amish’ or something like that where this guy helped kids who wanted to leave the Amish as I guess they get shunned by their familes if they do.

He told of a story where some guy murdered several Amish people and the familes of the Amish people who had relatives who were killed actually went to the family of the person who did the killing to pray with them (and from what I remember this was very shortly after the murders happened). I’m not sure if it is true or not but accepted it as fact when I heard the guy talking about it, it didn’t seem like he would make that up being the kind of person he came across as…and because people could check the story for accuracy if they wanted to so I couldn’t see him lying for that reason either. I can’t fathom how someone could do something like that. I have no idea if it’s common among the Amish or was some anomoly or what. But it really struck me as I grew up hating the people who raised me and it took me years and years before I could find it within myself to forgive them (and some things they do or say still have the effect of opening up old wounds, so it’s still a sensitive matter for me).

I’m certain I would be more angry if someone did a sin that harmed a family member of friend, but the one’s that harm anyone certainly make me angry also.

God Bless,
Bill

For me, what upsets me is when people, especially when they are Christians, express the “us and them mentality”. My poo doesn’t stink. I am good, they are bad. Basically I get frustrated when people glorify their personal moral actions in the sense of lording them over those who do immoral things or happen to be weaker then they are. They forget that the goal of Christianity is not to compare our selves to other sinners, but rather the goal is to participate in the love of God and express it to the world. Only God is good by nature. But this is very difficult because it is very tempting to think of our morale pride as being a licence to look down on people and hate people. Even I fall victim to that sin. It is hard to love ones enemies. It is difficult to think of Hitler as your brother and pray for the salvation of his soul.

But the reality is that we have all committed mortal sin at some point in our lives and we are likely to do so again in the future; which makes us hypocrites when we think we are better than other people. We have all betrayed the love of God. Even the least mortal sin condemns us to death. In hell it really does not matter how your sins compare to the sins of Hitler if you are in hell with him; you are still both enemies of God. Nobody that sins is worthy of heaven. But everybody has the gift of Gods mercy, and even the greatest sinner has as much right to the lords mercy as the least. This is the love of God. A love so great in fact that even a rapist of children who repents can be saved and go to heaven, while a person who has only fornicated will go to hell if he does not repent; regardless of how righteous he may think him self to be compared to the rapist of children.

A lot of the people that are thinking that they are going to heaven are in for a server shock when judgement day comes. Wise men strive for holiness in fear and trembling.

The greatness of Christianity is the opportunity to admit that you are a sinner. It is also the opportunity to ask God to transform are sinful state so that we can help others to see the light and love of God.

It’s been a really long time since I last went to any kind of formal confession, but isn’t there some sort of protocol involved, whereby the priest is not entitled to demonstrate a personal judgement of the confessing person?

Anyway, ‘sins’ that make me angry are any that demonstrate a lack of empathy. If any person does to someone else something they would not want done, or could not tolerate being done, to themselves, I find myself feeling angry and indignant, not only at the action itself, but at the attitude that permitted the action. As a nonbeliever, I might add, I find religious belief an insufficient excuse for a violation of human needs and rights.

I think it’s very difficult to forgive offences committed against onesself or one’s loved ones - perhaps the latter even more so. But even as a nonbeliever, I feel that forgiveness is of far more benefit for the one doing the forgiving than the one forgiven, at least in circumstances where the perpetrator of the offence is out of the reach of vengeance from the one offended against - as is the case for most victims of crime in modern Western society. It’s much better for the mental well-being of the victim if they can let go of anger and resentment, difficult though this is. Be that as it may, I think true forgiveness, especially if it’s for a personal offence committed by someone close to you, does require - at the very least - recognition of the effects. I find it very difficult to forgive those who fail to acknowledge the hurt they have inflicted. It’s one thing to apologise for a wrong action when one believes it to be wrong; it’s quite another thing to uphold one’s actions as justified, yet regret that people were hurt through said actions. I can accept the latter, under some circumstances at least, even if I don’t agree with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.