What spiritual book are you reading?

So what are you reading/why are you reading it/would you recommend it/why or why not?

I am in the middle of another book by Fr. Timothy Gallagher.

frtimothygallagher.org/

I began with **Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living **and after reading two other am now on Spiritual Consolation: An Ignatian Guide for the Greater Discernment of Spirits.

Fr. Gallagher has inspired my spiritual life more than any other book of late. Discerning spirits and understanding spiritual consolations and desolations has opened a completely new way of prayer for me. I have read many books on prayer (Dubay, Saints, Eastern Rite) and though they have been beautiful and thought filled ~ none have given me a “method” that has been so applicable as Fr. Gallagher.

Also discerning spirits in this world today I know (for me) is essential in growing closer to Jesus Christ. I highly recommend Fr. Gallagher’s books.

I recently finished a book called Franciscan Prayer by Ilia Delio( I think). It was pretty good, I thought. A few of the things were what I would term “out there”, but over-all it was helpful to me. Right now I am getting a lot of spiritual wisdom from a set of talks by Ralph Martin on Catherine of Sienna which I listen to while I’m knitting. It’s really great!:slight_smile:

I just finished two books:

“Ecstasy and Comman Sense” a rather nice complied writings of St. Teresa of Avila. Great for getting one’s feet wet with this saint. This is my second book by this author, Mother Teresa Bielecki, and I enjoyed her skills in grouping specific writings together. I picked it up for my trips to school, I ride the public transportation. I look forward to reading St. Teresa’s books!

“We Believe… A Survey of the Catholic Faith” great for catechumens like me just starting out in the Catholic faith. It touched on key elements of the faith and gave a nice amount of information about each.

Mahogany

Prayers of Hope, Words of Courage - by Cardinal Francis Xavier Van Thuan Nguyen.
amazon.com/Prayers-Courage-Francis-Xavier-Nguyen/dp/0819859389/ref=pd_sim_b_3_img

Hi CAF friends,

I have just published a book on Divinization. These are some links for getting a copy:

amazon.com/Agape-The-Divinizing-Love-Pitcharan/dp/1482817780

rakuten.com/prod/agape-the-divinizing-love/262066836.html

unishop.uow.edu.au/book/agape-the-divinizing-love.do

lovereading.co.uk/book/9781482817782/isbn/Agape-The-Divinizing-Love-by-Pitcharan.html

Pitcharan

I’ve recently finished Heralds of the Second Coming, by Stephen Walford. Fascinating stuff about the Pope’s thoughts on the second coming, way back from Blessed Pius IX up to Benedict XVI. It’s not sensationalist at all, but I found it to be full of interesting insights and quotes I’d never seen before. There’s also the foreward by Cardinal Dias, so you know it’s on the right track! Definitley worth a read…
amazon.com/Heralds-Second-Coming-Blessed-Benedict-ebook/dp/B00DBNETXW/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

I can recommend any book written by the former Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster, George Basil Hume.

And of course the classics such as the Rule of St Benedict, Imitatio Christi by Thomas a Kempis, and so on.

Hi CAF friends,

I have just published a book on Divinization. These are some links for getting a copy:

amazon.com/Agape-The-Divinizing-Love-Pitcharan/dp/1482817780

lovereading.co.uk/book/9781482817782/isbn/Agape-The-Divinizing-Love-by-Pitcharan.html

Pitcharan

I spent the last two hours exploring CAF instead of reading my current spiritual book :wink:

“Three Ages of the Interior Life,” by Father Reginald Garrigou-LaGrange

I’d like to know if you’ve read it and what your thoughts are on it.

KfG

The New Testament.

I am still on New Seeds of Contemplation, by Thomas Merton. …almost finished though.

The Return of the Prodigal Son, by Henri Nouwen.

I am reading two books. The first is “Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul” I started reading this about 3 days ago. The second book is “Interior Freedom” by Jacques Philippe. I downloaded it on kindle today and started reading today.

Too early for me to say much about these books. I will let you know when I have read some more :slight_smile:

Throughout the year, I make it a point to go through the “Big 3” at least once: The New Testament, The Imitation of Christ, and Introduction to a Devout Life. Right now I’m reading the Acts of the Apostles.

God bless.

Dear acacia12,

I read “Interior Freedom,” by Philippe. Let me know what you think!

The Gospel of Matthew, but I hope “The Imitation of Christ” will start to call me soon.

The important book Ascent of Mount Carmel Saint John of the Cross.

Hi CAF friends,
I have recently published a book on DIVINIZATION which is very exhaustive and does an in-depth analysis of several complex topics like: Purgatory, Trinity, Transfiguration and Divinization. It is also an excellent depiction of Catholic Spirituality and blends theology, philosophy, christology and maryology.

I invite you to read my book and copies can bought online through any of the below links.

best regards
Pitcharan

LINKS to buy the book:
flipkart.com/search?q=pitcharan&as=off&as-show=off&otracker=start

scribd.com/doc/207469501/AGAPE-THE-DIVINIZING-LOVE

barnesandnoble.com/w/agape-pitcharan/1118623423?ean=9781482817782

amazon.com/AGAPE-THE-DIVINIZING-LOVE-Pitcharan/dp/1482817780

ebay.com.au/itm/Agape-The-Divinizing-Love-Pitcharan-/231193381422

bookworld.com.au/ebook/agape-the-divinizing-love/47530996/

angusrobertson.com.au/ebook/agape-the-divinizing-love/47530996/

amazon.in/Agape-The-Divinizing-Love-Pitcharan/dp/1482817780

CHRIST. My son, do not let the work that you have undertaken for My sake break your spirit, nor any hardships discourage you. Let My promise be always your strength and comfort; I can give you a boundless reward. You will not labour here for long, nor will sorrow always be your lot. Wait but a short while, and you will see a speedy end to your troubles. The time will come when all toil and trouble will cease: everything temporal is short lived and of little consequence.

Labour with all your might; work faithfully in My vineyard; I Myself will be Your reward. Write, study, worship, be penitent, keep silence, and pray. Meet all your troubles like a man: eternal life is worth all this and yet greater conflicts. Peace will come at a time known only to the Lord; it will not be day or night as we know it, but everlasting light, boundless glory, abiding peace, and sure rest. You will not say then, ‘Who will free me from this mortal body?’; nor cry, ‘Alas, how long is my exile!’, for the power of death will be utterly broken, and full salvation assured. No anxiety will remain, but only blessed joy in the fair and lovely fellowship of the Saints.
-The Imitation of Christ, Book 3, Chapter 47

I haven’t read it from cover to cover. But there certain topics I’m very interested in.
The Three Ages of the Interior Life can be read online; see HERE.
He is a great theologian and taught at the Angelicum in Rome for 50 years. He died in 1964 but is considered by many to be the greatest theologian of the 20th century.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.