What to call him...?

I want to be a part of the Catholic faith. I have not gone to a Catholic church yet. But I know where one is that I want to try. I was raised Baptist. Never have felt good there and always felt like I was missing something. I was adopted at birth and those parents are the Baptist. My birthmother and all that family is Catholic. I have been asking them questions.
So here is my question.

When I go to talk to the preist for the first time, what do I call him since I am not a member of the Catholic church yet? Do I say Mr.________, or sir. Or do I have to be a member to call him Father _________. I don’t know his name that is why I am putting the blank. I want to make sure I do what I am suppose to do to give him the full respect he deserves.

I also am not sure what to say to him either. I am very nervous about talking to the Father.

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Just call him “Father.” You don’t have to add his name to that. “Father” is fine. There’s really nothing to worry about. It’s not a matter of breaking the ice. You’ve already done that with me. You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.