What to cook for Lent Fridays, Wife hates Fish and Veggies

I do 90% of the cooking as I am home earlier that my wife. Also, I am a better cook and enjoy.

0 Likes

[quote="mkipp, post:21, topic:189436"]
I do 90% of the cooking as I am home earlier that my wife. Also, I am a better cook and enjoy.

[/quote]

I was just joking;)

0 Likes

How about puffy omeletts?? I found some good recipes by googling them.

0 Likes

I have a good recipe for a baked omelet that you roll up to serve. Very pretty and lots of things you could add to it:thumbsup:

0 Likes

Here’s a great crock pot mac & cheese my family loves it - it could be done in the oven easily.
Ingredients:

• 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 cup stick margarine or butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
  • 1 can (1 0-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika

Directions:
Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add margarine or butter (personally, I only use butter). In a bowl, combine the eggs, evaporated milk, soup, milk and 3 cups cheese. Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 10 servings.

0 Likes

Bookmark this

www.allrecipes.com

You can go in, check what you like, what you dislike and see recipes that are tried and true with actual real people reviews.

0 Likes

We aren't big veggie fans either. Does she like hummus? Can eat with pita (we switched to whole wheat pita). Also, sweet potatoes are delicious and healthy; will give you something like potatoes but different (you can add a little butter and/or cinnamon). What about veggie burgers, like Boca (dress them up - can add cheeses, salsa, etc)? Or portabello mushroom sandwiches?

0 Likes

I understand not liking fish.:( I do like veggies in moderation, however. DH made Veggie Spaghetti last Friday for dinner it was wonderful. He chopped fresh zucchini, red, orange, yellow and green peppers, fresh mushrooms and added them to a can of Italian style diced tomatoes, then he added a can of tomato sauce. He let all of that simmer while he cooked the spaghetti. He served the veggie sauce over the pasta with Parmesean cheese and cheese bread on the side. It was wonderful. The spaghetti was whole wheat. :thumbsup:

I will have to return the favor and make him a homecooked fish dinner soon (ewww). :eek:

0 Likes

You said she hates fish but what about lobster, crab, shrimp, clams, calamari & mussels.

Does she not like shellfish as well?

0 Likes

You asked for a mac and cheese recipe, I really get great recipes from cooks.com. There are many variations on recipes offered - and you can always do your own substitutions or delete any meat.

0 Likes

[quote="mkipp, post:4, topic:189436"]
The sad thing is that the ocean is two miles from our house, and we can get fresh seafood anytime. She might like a casserole with beans and cheese, if anyone has a recipe. She usually only eats beans when I make Chili or Jambalaya, but would not eat a 100% veggie version of either.

[/quote]

I'm a Cajun from South Louisiana, and have never heard of beans in Jambalaya!!! What's the recipe?!!?

0 Likes

how about just something easy like pasta, garlic ,lemon and some herbs like parsley. sprinkle on some parm too. she can eat hers plain and you can add some shrimp or salmon to yours.

i’m making falafel tonight with tahini sauce in pitas. i’ve got baba ghanoush i made yesterday to go with. the kids love it!

you could check out

catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/

or

catholicfoodie.com/

for more ideas too.

0 Likes

Dutch baby pancakes

Nothing is easier or more impressive.

Mix with a mixer or in a blender:

1 cup flour (I like to use whole wheat pastry flour)
1 cup of milk (whole milk will make it puff up a lot better)
6 eggs
a dash of vanilla

Pour into a hot pan (I use an iron skillet) that has had about 1/2 a stick of butter melted into it and cook in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. The pancake will puff up and the edges will brown a bit.

When it comes out of the oven you can serve it the traditional way with some lemon juice squeezed on it and some powdered sugar sprinkled on it, or you can top it with some fruit. I like to warm up some chopped apple or pear with a little butter in a skillet and add a little sugar and cinnamon and chopped walnuts, cooking until the sugar is dissolved into the butter and the fruit is tender.

0 Likes

red beans and rice w corn bread.

on another note; Seems like veggies and fish would be a good act of penance for her afterall it is Lent. Isn’t that the point?

0 Likes

Grill some Shittake Mushrooms - marinated (soysauce or Lea&Perrins, + onion powder, pepper, other spices to taste) - taste just like steak (filet minion) - serve with baked potato stuffed with cheese+, or (fresh steamed rice mixed with fresh crushed-grilled-tomatoes+ pepper) instead of the potato. MMMmmmmm:D

0 Likes

[quote="mkipp, post:1, topic:189436"]
I wanted some thoughts on what I can make for dinner tonight and for other Friday’s of Lent. I will eat anything and love fish and vegetables, but my wife hates fish and hates all vegetables (except potatoes.) I was looking for any suggestions or dishes that you make during Lent that maybe I could cook for my wife. It seems that every Friday is Cheese Pizza. God Bless

[/quote]

My kids are the same way. We basically rotate three meals through on Fridays. 1) Spaghetti with a good tomato and basil sauce, sometimes we substitute cheese tortellini, 2) peroigi - if you aren't familiar, they are kind of a pasta turnover with a potato filling. They can be boiled, fried or baked and any good sauce works but we like to serve with sour cream and salsa. 3) coocnut shrimp (the frozen kind). Even though my kids don't like most seafood, they will eat coconut shrimp.

Good luck.

0 Likes

[quote="spirit4life, post:35, topic:189436"]
Grill some Shittake Mushrooms - marinated (soysauce or Lea&Perrins, + onion powder, pepper, other spices to taste) - taste just like steak (filet minion) - serve with baked potato stuffed with cheese+. MMMmmmmm:D

[/quote]

Too funny ~ I make the same meal... :D

For the OP, here is my portabello cheese burger.

1 bag of those round onion rolls.
1 package of the big portobella muchrooms
Your favorite cheese

Clean the portobella mushrooms well - remove all dirt.

remove the stem and with a small spoon, scrape out the black "gills" from the mushroom

season it with S&P and sprinkle some terriaki sauce and a dash of worchester sauce and a drizle of olive oil.

let it sit for about 10-15 minutes

Get a grill pan or flat pan hot, add a splash of olive oil when the pan is hot and put your portabella mushrooms in there.

do not croud them, perhaps 2 at a time will do.

Meanwhile, cut your onion rolls in half and toast them.

When the mushrooms are brown on one side, flip them over and cook for about 5 minutes

Use the mushroom on your onion roll as you would a beef burger and top it off with cheese.

Serve that with any potato dish you like, but I like mine with oven french fries.

0 Likes

Kage, this is my favorite “go to” recipe site! I have made many delicious meals from allrecipes.com. Love it!:thumbsup:

0 Likes

Fetuccine alfredo is very easy to make. I usually just melt some butter, add cream, and melt parmesan into it. Garlic and onion are great additions!

Look up spaghetti alla carbonara. You would have to omit the bacon -- my mom makes it for Fridays with artificial bacon bits. It's basically pasta with eggs lightly scrambled into it ... tastes better than it sounds.

Cheese enchiladas. I love these.

Bean burritos or tostadas.

This one does have a vegetable, but it's sort of hidden -- broccoli cheddar soup. I make it with potatoes in it to fill it out.

Mexican food is a great source of ideas, if your wife likes it. Almost any recipe can be made meatless and not be much different -- the beans supply the protein.

Spaghetti can easily be made without meat. Top with plenty of parmesan cheese!

0 Likes

[quote="Shamrock57, post:5, topic:189436"]
My mom became allergic to all fish a few years back. And she loves fish, which makes it sad for her. She never eats meat on ANY Friday. Some ideas for you: macaroni & cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, quiche (obviously without bacon! ;) ), French toast or pancakes ("breakfast" foods for dinner!), egg salad sandwiches, any soup without meat, cheese ravioli.

[/quote]

I was going to suggest the above or even what my friend on her blog: Benmakesten suggested a few weeks ago when she made a post about Lenten pretzels:

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.