What to do about Showtime's "Our Fathers"?

Here’s a press release for Showtime’s upcoming (May 21 - 26) movie, a so-called “searing indictment” of the cover-up of the scandals.

sho.com/site/schedules/product_page.do?episodeid=123687&seriesid=0&include=04pressrelease.inc

These are the same folks who carry “Queer as Folk”, “The L Word” and other such family classics:mad:

What should be done, if anything?

“A saga with no real ending, this film only begins to illuminate a scourge that the Church would have continued to disavow were it not for the courageous lawyers, victims and Catholics who came forward to shine a light onto this insidious tragedy”

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is so biased we should send them e-mails and phone calls and so forth…does the Catholic league know about this?

I don’t know if the Catholic League knows yet.

I don’t even have a TV set! I heard a radio advertisement for it, and just hearing that text made my blood run cold…so I looked it up online & here we are.

OUR FATHERS tells the moving stories of the individuals who overcame the anguish of their abuse, as well as the crusading lawyers who took on an arrogant and monolithic Church that no one believed would ever admit wrongdoing.

What tripe. That’s all I can think to say. Complete tripe.

Don’t subscribe to this channel.

Now lets see if they will do a special on planned parenthood protecting child rapists:mad: Shame on them:tsktsk:

Here is a link to a press release from the Diocese of Pittsburgh that I just received in my e-mail:

www.diopitt.org/mw051605.htm

The real tragedy is that those who hate the Church are going to watch this and be thrilled, accepting everything as 100% truth, adding nothing but fuel to their hatred.

Joe

This just proves that being Christian has no protectors…its okay to attack the institution of the church…they are all evil enemies of the common person. Media’s attack against the church seems to be escalating to an all-time low. The best thing…is remind the station that you are subscriber and pull the plugs on it. The only message they understand is their bottom line. Pull iit out from under them.
Keep praying!!!

This is truly truly nausiating.:frowning:

For those who are truly “open minded”, tripe like this won’t matter so much as “real” information. It really isn’t hard to find out the “facts” about the sex scandals, provided one doesn’t depend on the MSM but goes to the organization itself. . .IOW, the Vatican site, the USCCB, etc., and examines what has been done on the diocesean and other levels, etc. (Of course it’s even easier to find out the lies and distortions by going to the MSM, but the MSM is and has been in decline in the last few years, and even the older fans are rather disillusioned about true journalistic integrity. . .)

Unfortunately, few people are truly “open minded”. Even so, the rabid “anti-Cs” wouldn’t change their minds about the Church if Jesus Himself told them the real facts. They may get more of a “charge” from a crummy breathless TV hypefest, but heck, they get hot under the collar watching the Pope’s FUNERAL or a showing on TCM of “Going My Way”.

We’d like to think that there is a tremendous group of “neutral” people out there, and we worry that a program like this will sway a large number of “neutrals” into “antis”. But that probably won’t happen. The number of people actually “neutral” about the Catholic Church is probably very, very small, especially with the last decade or so’s “Internet” access. While there are anti-C sites there are also POSITIVE Catholic sites available (like this), and with the ever increasing computer literacy even more people have SOME opinion of Catholicism, and are NOT likely to be swayed by ONE “event” or “Op-Ed” piece, no matter how breathlessly “hyped”. That is, of course, both good and bad news–good, in that relatively few “neutrals” will be swayed into becoming Jack Chick disciples, and bad in that relatively few neutrals have been swayed into becoming fervent Catholics even when given the graces of Karl Keating e-mails. . .

JP2 said it best, “Be not Afraid”. Add St. Francis’ admonition of “preach the gospel always, use words if necessary” and St. Pio’s, “Work, pray, and don’t worry”. . .that is MY advice for dealing with trash, religious “trash” and “lies” especially.

I can not FATHUM why anyone would be in DISGUST with this showing. IT IS ABOUT time someone stood up for the REAL VICTIMS out there. We need not forget there was and STILL is cover up for these pedophiles that are still serving. Those who feel disgusted by this have never seen 1st hand the results of molestation. The only problem with this situation, however, is that we are supposed to be SAFE in the church and with clergy. This type of behavior will never GO AWAY if kept QUIET. :mad:
And those who feel Queer as Folk or L-Word are not good programming, have obviously never watched and are still under the belief that homosexuals are not God’s creation. GOD CREATED ALL OF US, homosexuals and transexuals ALIKE. Hate is not religion and Homosexuality is a part of NATURE, human and animal. Those who don’t believe or feel this way have never looked at the science point of view, instead of the BIBLE point of view.
The BIBLE is a story and a guide for living. Will we all go to hell if we eat shellfish? NO, of course not. A homosexual is acting on NATURAL instincts, not devient instincts. :confused:

[quote=dmgs11]I can not FATHUM why anyone would be in DISGUST with this showing. IT IS ABOUT time someone stood up for the REAL VICTIMS out there. We need not forget there was and STILL is cover up for these pedophiles that are still serving. Those who feel disgusted by this have never seen 1st hand the results of molestation. The only problem with this situation, however, is that we are supposed to be SAFE in the church and with clergy. This type of behavior will never GO AWAY if kept QUIET. :mad:
And those who feel Queer as Folk or L-Word are not good programming, have obviously never watched and are still under the belief that homosexuals are not God’s creation. GOD CREATED ALL OF US, homosexuals and transexuals ALIKE. Hate is not religion and Homosexuality is a part of NATURE, human and animal. Those who don’t believe or feel this way have never looked at the science point of view, instead of the BIBLE point of view.
The BIBLE is a story and a guide for living. Will we all go to hell if we eat shellfish? NO, of course not. A homosexual is acting on NATURAL instincts, not devient instincts. :confused:
[/quote]

Without getting inflammatory, there are some points which need to be refuted here. The majority of priests involved in this tragedy were homosexual priest molesting boys, so it wasn’t technically pediophilia. But you’re right, this type of behavior, homosexual molestation will not go away until because we are in a fallen world and many many men with this temptation do not resist it. Yes, we are all God’s creatures. Once again you are right, but God did not create homosexuality. He created sexuality within a marital union to bring forth children into the world. He made men and women complementary in every way, including our physical bodies, which is why a man and a woman’s body fit, but a woman/woman or man/man’s bodies do not. Homosexuality is objectively evil in that it thwarts God’s plan for His children and for creation. It thwarts natural law.The Church has never confused the act of homosexuality with the person committing the sin, just as Jesus through His many examples did not confuse the sinner with the sin e.g. as with Mary Magdalen. But do remember that he told her – after he had forgiven her – to go and sin no more. Finally, the Bible and science should not be put in contrast with one another. Although we have made strides in science, science cannot and should not overturn the natural law, which is the law which God placed in our hearts. Furthermore, science cannot supersede the word of God. Yes, there are some parts of the Bible which are metaphor, some which are literal, some which are allegory, all presented nonetheless to put forth the Word of God. That we have made strides in science does not in any way negate the objective evil of homosexuality. Without God at the center of science, mankind will unleash untold terrors and horrors which render man a stranger to his nature does violence to his stature as a child of God. Now to say that nature makes it so, does not grant us license to indulge in homosexual behavior. Remember that what sets us apart from the animals is free will. Yes, some may have homosexual tendencies, but we also have free will to make decisions. That we make the right decisions result from our willingness to align ourselves with the truth of God’s Word as well as our willingness to partake of His grace which is always freely available to help us through whatever temptation might prevail upon us. What we have to recognize is just because an action is no longer regarded as sin does not mean that it no longer is a sin. In these changing times, we must recognize that God’s Word is immutable. If God’s word is mutable wouldn’t that be scary; then how could we call Him God? Why do some have that tendency? Who knows. It’s a cross to bear for those who do, but it’s just that much more of an opportunity to partake of God’s infinite Grace. But changing God’s Word to suit our fancy does us severe harm because in changing God to suit ourselves, we change our nature in the process.

The Webster’s Dictionary definition of pedophile is “an adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children.” How on earth do the Catholic priests who are molesting young boys NOT fall under this category? I commend you for recognizing that homosexuals are indeed God’s creation, but to say that God did not create homosexuality is absurd. Since later in your post, you say that science and the Bible are not to be compared, it follows that you believe that God created everything in 7 days as Genesis tells us. If that is true, then why am I here talking to you? I am a homosexual and just an everyday person. I was raised a Roman Catholic and was an avid churchgoer until I was 17 or so. And during all of those years, I was led to believe that evil was brought by the Devil and akin to such crimes as murder and rape. Calling homosexuality “objectively evil” is ridiculous. What is “evil” about two people in love? God taught us all how to love, and I don’t remember ever hearing any limitations or guidelines on who should or should not be loved. Any two people trying to make a life for themselves surrounded with love in this dark world should be commended, not chastised because the picture doesn’t look like what you think it should. I have absolutely no qualms about whoever you may choose to lay your head next to at the end of the day. I see no reason why who I choose to lie my head next to has any effect on anyone else whatsoever. If these priests are homosexuals, thats fine. Preying on young, innocent children because the church tells them that they cannot have what thier bodies desire is not. Celibacy of priests is an outdated practice. The church would not look like such hypocrits if thier priests were allowed to be happily married like everyone else. Maybe then, they wouldn’t have to turn to little boys to fulfill thier needs.

Well, this thread really called’em out. (no pun intended)
Tell you what I’m going to do about this "show; not watch it.

[quote=soulspeak23]The Webster’s Dictionary definition of pedophile is “an adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children.” How on earth do the Catholic priests who are molesting young boys NOT fall under this category? I commend you for recognizing that homosexuals are indeed God’s creation, but to say that God did not create homosexuality is absurd. Since later in your post, you say that science and the Bible are not to be compared, it follows that you believe that God created everything in 7 days as Genesis tells us. If that is true, then why am I here talking to you? I am a homosexual and just an everyday person. I was raised a Roman Catholic and was an avid churchgoer until I was 17 or so. And during all of those years, I was led to believe that evil was brought by the Devil and akin to such crimes as murder and rape. Calling homosexuality “objectively evil” is ridiculous. What is “evil” about two people in love? God taught us all how to love, and I don’t remember ever hearing any limitations or guidelines on who should or should not be loved. Any two people trying to make a life for themselves surrounded with love in this dark world should be commended, not chastised because the picture doesn’t look like what you think it should. I have absolutely no qualms about whoever you may choose to lay your head next to at the end of the day. I see no reason why who I choose to lie my head next to has any effect on anyone else whatsoever. If these priests are homosexuals, thats fine. Preying on young, innocent children because the church tells them that they cannot have what thier bodies desire is not. Celibacy of priests is an outdated practice. The church would not look like such hypocrits if thier priests were allowed to be happily married like everyone else. Maybe then, they wouldn’t have to turn to little boys to fulfill thier needs.
[/quote]

The vast majority of these cases involved older children or teenagers which strictly speaking is not pedophilia. And as I said, some parts of the Bible are literal and some are not. That God created the world in seven days or seven thousand years is not the issue here. The issue is that God created the world. That’s the point,and He created it all good. I don’t know why you’re talking to me. I assume that you’re addressing me,since you’re post follows mine. But I would say it might be because the Holy Spirit led you here, and that’s a good thing,and I want to welcome you. But let’s look at evil. In this day and age, many believe that the only evil is murder, and that sexual sins are no longer sins because the vast majority of society deems it sin no longer. That is a grave error. Sin hasn’t changed,and homosexuality is a sin, gravely disordered. The Catechism of the Catholic Church says in #2357 that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complimentarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.” So our “love” has to be ordered in the proper way. Homosexual love is not ordered in the proper way. This is a hard saying for some, who can accept it? That we may fall short of the mark in some way,whether it be homosexual tendencies, or gluttony or anger does not mean that must morph our shortcomings into a virtue or a “right.” Instead it means that we have to call upon God’s grace to overcome our shortcomings. No one said that being a Catholic is easy, but Jesus did say that His yoke was easy and His burden light. So we have to abide by what God says by what Jesus says, who is the way, the truth,and the life. If I love another woman’s husband does my love for him supersede the wife’s right not to have her marriage violated? Our passions have to be reconciled to our wil, and our will to the truth. So many may have homosexual tendencies, but not of of those who does lacks free will. These priest acted on disordered tendencies, and as such their will has to be reconciled with right reason. And no celibacy is not an outmoded practice. It is a gift from God, who does not call everyone to the celibate life, but once again because we cannot abide by God’s law, (even though celibacy is technically a discipline) does not mean that we lower the bar. So once again, what led you to this site. The Holy Spirit. And may he continue to guide you into the truth that is Jesus Christ and the repository of His word, the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Any doubters of this film, need to also watch the accompanying film “Holy Water-Gate”.
Those in disgust with this film are as guilty as the bishops and cardinals that kept quite. Defending them has gone on long enough. The FACT is, this has and is still going on in our Churches today. We need to start thinking about the victims and PROSECUTING the perpetrators. If any one man anally raped dozens of young boys, that man would be in prison for decades. Instead, we move them around like pawns and pay off the victims to keep quite about their abuse. How much less guilty is the Mafia Boss for killing and threating those who witnessed crimes, than that of the guilty cardinals and bishops out there for paying for silence. We need to start protecting the children, NOT the pedophiles.

[quote=cecelia]The vast majority of these cases involved older children or teenagers which strictly speaking is not pedophilia.
[/quote]

So may I ask what your definition of a pedophile is? I would also like to ask if you have any children, which you are by no means required to answer. However, please place yourself in the hypothetical situation of having your 13 year old son molested. Please do mnt misunderstand me; I do NOT wish this upon anyone, for any reason. But if the situation were to arise, how quick would you be to call that monster a pedophile? Would you say “No, its ok. He’s an older child. He’s a teenager.” The point in case is that these boys were not consenting adults and thats the LAW of actual law books, currently in use today, and most likely written within the last decade. I place much greater faith in those books than the fables of the Bible.

Hi-- I wanted to bring to your attention a similar thread here in this forum:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=56426

Some of the folks in that discussion have seen the movie and share their opinions of it.

[quote=soulspeak23]So may I ask what your definition of a pedophile is? I would also like to ask if you have any children, which you are by no means required to answer. However, please place yourself in the hypothetical situation of having your 13 year old son molested. Please do mnt misunderstand me; I do NOT wish this upon anyone, for any reason. But if the situation were to arise, how quick would you be to call that monster a pedophile? Would you say “No, its ok. He’s an older child. He’s a teenager.” The point in case is that these boys were not consenting adults and thats the LAW of actual law books, currently in use today, and most likely written within the last decade. I place much greater faith in those books than the fables of the Bible.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by the “fables” of the Bible.

[quote=cecelia]Not sure what you mean by the “fables” of the Bible.
[/quote]

Fable: a fictitious narrative or statement.
Above definition by Webster’s dictionary. look it up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.