What to do for non-practicing Alsheimer grandmother?

My husband’s grandmother has Alsheimers, in a reasonably bad way. She cannot even recognize her own children and hasn’t the logical facility to understand that if her son has a granddaughter, that it is her great-granddaughter, much less understand that there is a God. She was never Catholic, and in fact not a very enthusiastic Methodist. My husband and his father are extremely worried that she has never acted in a way that would make her salvation much more than a small hope. Is there anything we can do, aside from prayer and hope, to help her to God, or is it too late for all but prayer and hope?

Prayer, hope and trust in the Lord is your best bet at this point.

Peace
James

You should pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet for her.

You could have a Mass or two said for her.

+1

Masses prayed for the Living are said to be the most efficacious.

Definitely prayer - one never knows the seed of faith that may have been planted in her years attending a Methodist church.

I would leave the judging of her soul up to God.

A priest could give her a special blessing. I would call him and ask him to visit her. A Mass for her intention is a wonderful idea-at least one every week. I am praying for her. God’s grace is abundant, kind, and merciful.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

1. We aren’t judging, just concerned. Who doesn’t want to do whatever they can to see their family members, even those who have not lived particularly exemplary lives, in paradise? If she is/will be justified, then we are unlikely to cause harm by wishing and acting for her eternal salvation. If not, then we want to do what we can to help. Love demands nothing less.

2. Ezekiel 33:7 - don’t want to risk it. We are our brother’s keeper.

As for the other suggestions, we hadn’t thought of Mass or the Divine Mercy Chaplet, so thanks.

Write that when they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying,
I will stand between My Father and the dying person,
not as the just Judge but as the merciful Savior" (Diary, 1541). St Faustina
This prayer will serve to appease My wrath. You will recite it for nine days, on the beads of the rosary, in the following manner: First of all, you will say one OUR FATHER and HAIL MARY and the I BELIEVE IN GOD. Then on the OUR FATHER beads you will say the following words: Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world. On the HAIL MARY beads you will say the following words: For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
In conclusion, three times you will recite these words: Holy God, Holy Mighty One,
Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world" (Diary, 474-476).
“At the hour of their death, I defend as My own glory every soul that will say this chaplet; or when others say it for a dying person, the indulgence is the same. When this chaplet is said by the bedside of a dying person, God’s anger is placated and his unfathomable mercy envelops the soul” (Diary, 811).
Can be prayed silently at the bedside of a sick or dying person.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.