What to do... https://www.catholicswithoutachurch.org/

Would you please check out the website and advise if attending a marriage ceremony performed by one of their priests will do more harm than good?

Our niece is getting married by a priest from this order via website.

After checking out the website, I don’t think I should attend the ceremony. Should I decline the reception as well? How can I be loving and charitable in this case? Please advise. God bless and thank you.

It doesn’t seem prudent to attend one of these ceremonies. They are clearly targeted at people who cannot get married within the Church. Attendance would imply that you support the ceremony and the nuptuals, which, as a faithful Catholic, you shouldn’t be doing if they aren’t fit to wed.

This doesn’t seem to be a sort of non-Catholic situation, where you can attend a Protestant ceremony because it’s still valid. This seems targeted at remarriages, homosexuals and the like who cannot validly marry…

2 Likes

Their website is very deceiving. Only after reading carefully it is clear that they are not part of the RCC (they talk about the Pope, monks, priests etc but only after reading the entire page becomes obvious that they are some kind of internet based fake priests for hire). Talk with a priest about what is the prudent thing to do.

4 Likes

This organization is a counterfeit. Very dangerous as it targets people who may not be fully aware of how to identify the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Edit to add, I think your instincts are correct about not wanting to attend. The organization seems more hostile (in its taking on the Catholic identity). A justice of the peace would be more acceptable IMO, as that would not be mimicking our Church.

Are you able to reach out to your neice? Meet with her, talk about what she is attempting to do?

5 Likes

That group is not Catholic. Will pm you.

5 Likes

While the priests may have valid holy orders, they do not have the jurisdiction to validly marry Catholics. And, this group is deceiving when it tells people that their marriage will be a sacrament “in the eyes of God”.

Why is your niece pursuing a marriage through these people? Why is she not approaching her local Catholic Church for marriage?

4 Likes

We are not sure. We are looking into this right now. Please pray with us for our niece. God bless

2 Likes

Thank you .

1 Like

Yes, we are contacting our niece to find out why she chose this order, and to let her know that we consulted with two different dioceses, and a local priest whom all said this order is not belonging to the Roman Catholic Church. Please pray with us for her.

4 Likes

Thank you for affirming my understanding. God bless

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. We will follow up with our priest. God bless

1 Like

This order is part of the American Catholic Church, not in communion with Rome. So basically, whatever your principles are about going to a non-Catholic wedding would be applied here.

Your niece has either been deprived of Catholic education so she does not know that this is not “kosher” or she has been deeply hurt, still longs in her soul for the Church but feels abandoned for some reason. Reach out, to your sibling/her parent and ask the why question with love.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.