What to do if a relative receives the Blessed Sacrament in a state of mortal sin

This past Saturday I brough along a close family member to Church and she received the Blessed Sacrament. I casually asked her afterwards when the last time she had gone to confession was. She said it had been about 20 years. Only God can judge the true disposition of another’s soul, but I would say objectively speaking that she is likely not in a proper disposition to receive the Eucharist. I mentioned that one doesn’t have to receive Communion just because one attends Mass. When I said it was a grave act to receive the Blessed Sacrament in a state of mortal sin, to my dismay, she said that she was already going to hell anyways as though such a statement was of no significance.

The issue I run into with this person and many of those around me is that they just don’t believe in the reality of hell - and they are all Catholics. I believe that Catholicism is an all or nothing proposition and I take my Faith seriously and try my best to live according to the authentic teachings of the Church. Unfortuantely others do not seem to care. They tend to pick and choose what parts of the Faith they do and do not believe and subscribe to the “saved as long as I’m a ‘good person’” philosophy. I am concerned about the fate of their eternal souls. What, if anything should I do? How do you evangelize a Catholic to believe in Catholicism?

God Bless.

Great post.
I also believe Catholicism is "all or nothing."
Evangelising “Catholics” is beyond most of us in the modern era, perhaps a bit at a time.
If possible, I recommend them viewing the “Catholicism” DVD by Father Robert Barron.
They will need to watch all 10 episodes, however, and probably a couple of times.
But the series would be a great wake-up call to many “Catholics”.
I will try to get our Church to have a regular screening date of the series in the new year.

You have done everything you could. You have informed her on what the church teaches about this. It is her choice whether to take it seriously or not. I know how frustrating this is, but it is a very common attitude. When in a position to do so, educate people, state the facts. Don’t argue with them. Offer to provide some sources if they want to learn more. And pray for them. I pray the Divine Mercy chaplet every day for those who have abandoned the faith and those dying in mortal sin.

Oh, my dear, I should use this occasion to tell you how much I grieve with you for those of us who have abandoned our suffering Lord, not standing anymore at the foot of the cross with Mary and John, but in palaces made of gold, imprisoned and blinded by earthly pleasure.

If we could just all remain faithful ourselves to the rosary and the divine mercy chaplet, we can love Jesus for those who do not love him, adore Jesus for those who do not adore him, simply live for Jesus for those who do not live for him.

We must pray for each other so that at least we do not stray and in this way keep others back from conversion. I must live in a constant conversion myself.

Mama Mary, most sorrowful Mother of God, pray for us!

St. Joseph, pray for us!

St. Bernadette, pray for us!

St. Charbel, pray for us!

St. Therese of Liseux, pray for us!

St. Padre Pio, pray for us!

Blessed Pope John Paul II, pray for us!

Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us!

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

I agree this is a great post. I also believe you did all you could. It’s unfortunate so many people do this and yes they pick and choose. It’s so painful even for me but I can only imagine our Lord. Aside from praying…hmm… well when a friend or a relative will join me for mass, I always tell them that there’s Confession befure, during and after mass. I tell them they should celebrate this sacrament to receive Jesus!!

She may have made that statement sarcastically, being annoyed at what she could easily have heard as an accusation that she was in a state of mortal sin.

More for My Edification than yours."BE YE KIND"! Be polite and respectful... if I dont understand the actions of others,Love them,try to understand in polite gentleness,Explain to them, if something they did or are doing hurts my feelings or confuses me, Pray for them to find the way.When I think of all the times where/when I may have received "improperly"disposed(through ignorance).I can't get too high on my olde horsey.
And I seriously need to calm down,God has these matters in hand...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.