What to do if people at work are constantly cursing?

A lot of people I work with are constantly cursing and taking the Lords name in vain. It makes me uncomfortable but I don’t think I have a place to say anything. How should someone handle? Is being in the presence of someone using the Lords name in vain and not saying anything a sin?

For me, I ignore it however, there would be a few times when I would feel the need to either make comment (correction) or involve myself…Case in point, if someone was berating someone personally (not just cursing) and there are some words.

1 Like

The Golden Arrow prayer was composed for this sort of thing.

The Golden Arrow is an important prayer that Jesus gave to Sister Mary of St. Peter, a Carmelite nun in France, in August of 1843. Sister Mary called it “an Act of Praise that our Lord Himself dictated to me, notwithstanding my unworthiness, for the reparation of Blasphemy [insulting or disrespectful thoughts or behavior] against His Holy Name.”

May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and unutterable Name of God be always praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on earth, and under the earth, by all the creatures of God, and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ, in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Like the Devotion to Jesus’ Holy Face that she also promoted at His request, the Golden Arrow is meant as an act of reparation for the profanation of Sunday and of Holy Days of Obligation as well.

If you don’t have the entire Golden Arrow prayer in your head, a quick, “Jesus, I love you” or something similar is appropriate.

In other words, if they curse, you automatically praise.

5 Likes

It’s not your fault they’re so vulgar.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years - but since we really can’t control what others say and do, you may as well resign yourself to it, or find another job in a more polite milieu.

2 Likes

I came here to say this.

You can’t change people who don’t want to be changed.
However if they swear when talking to you, you’re within your rights to tell them you prefer not to be sworn at.

And Midori, thank you for the prayer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lead by example.

5 Likes

I have an old friend who was brought up Catholic like me. I’ve known him 40 yrs.

Since his recovery from cancer he seems to curse a lot , when he feels unfortunate or unlucky…

I just ignore him. It’s upsetting.

Love them. Be kind to them.

2 Likes

You can ask them but if they’re in the habit of swearing a lot, that’s no guarantee they will stop. And it sounds like it’s a lot more than one person at that workplace, so at this point they probably think it’s normal.

1 Like

Make a sign of the Cross.

It may make them feel uncomfortable back.

2 Likes

Each and every time say a prayer for them. I have an issue with cursing and even though I try not to it does slip out every once in a while. Not God’s name THANKFULLY but some not too nice words that I need to STOP saying.

2 Likes

I was in the Air Force and thought it was bad. Years later my nephew joined the Army and went to Iraq during the height of the fighting. When he got out of the army his mouth wouldn’t stop cursing, even around aunts and uncles and even his grandmother. It was so bad I had to take him aside. It didn’t help much at first. But when he came to us frustrated with trying to find a job after college, we were straight with him, telling him most employers don’t want that language in the workplace. A few months later he got a job offer. :hugs:

4 Likes

Lots of variables one can assume here Prodigal.
What’s the work environment setting like? Has that been the prevailing culture/atmosphere that is accepted by the ‘higher-ups’. You don’t need to dig too deep to see workplaces that allow this type of speech in their organization.
If it is, then you have choices. You could remove yourself from the engagement either for that moment or even permanently. But if this is a job you enjoy, then I would find a way to relate with your coworkers without sacrificing who you are. Don’t try to be something you are not just to fit in.
Just don’t be the person who chooses to use those words. Be the person who can communicate without such words.
Be ‘Christ’s’ witness in any environment you are in especially places like this. And remember Jesus was no chump. When he needed to put the hammer down. He did, emphatically…out of a place of Love he did this. So when an opportunity presents itself, you can simply ask, ‘why do you have to curse so much’? Don’t be judgemental about it. or say something like “Dude you swear like no one else I have ever met.”
As uncomfortable as it might be, (I don’t like being around people who swear all the time either) if you have to work with these kinds of people, don’t alienate yourself from the group. Just be yourself. If you try to relate and connect with them and you build a trusting and respectful working relationship, eventually you’ll create an opportunity to let that person(s) know. “Hey guys I really enjoy working with you guys but could you turn down the cursing.”
You’ll probably take a little heat and teasing for it for a while but if you’ve built up that trust and respect for them, that hopefully doesn’t last too long. (Think of the opening scene in Avengers - Age of Ultron. Captain America gets teased for saying “Language” when Iron man says “Dammit” after flying into a shielded building )
It may also happen that they just figure out and even become uncomfortable to use such language in front of you.
Pray for this to improve. Perhaps in prayer, you’ll find you are in that place for a reason. Our duty as Christians is to become missionary disciples. Not everyone, myself included, is comfortable stepping out of our comfort zones but it is our calling that the Lord gives us the strength and courage to do. Perhaps there is someone in the group the Holy Spirit is working on and you are there to share the Good News. Only God can reveal to you his plan.

What others say is their sin.
Your best thing is to set a good example for others my not using curse words at the job place.
When you get frustrated or angry, use other words to convey the anger. There is no need to use the Lord’s name in that manner.
If absolutely necessary there are plenty of other words that can be used.

There was an new operator in a oil refinery where I worked. He would not say a foul word. For example, he would say bull roar! Everyone sort of laughed but they admired him also!

A friend of mine has a son who was leaving a high school class once and someone shouted Jesus Christ! My friend’s son turned and said do you know Him to? He is a friend of mine!

The use of the “F” word really bothers me. Taking something so sacred and making it a mockery? I have often ask do you really want to have intercourse with that?

My dad, Catholic, war veteran, said people who swear have small minds and a limited vocabulary, hence the foul language. I worked with a crew in a clean room environment and when I got there the language was atrocious. I made it known I was not comfortable with it. It was not too long afterwards that a few gentlemen stepped up to correct the language. It made for a better workplace.

Offenders need to be corrected. We should not have to cower away but take a stand. I learned from example.

1 Like

I worked in construction, and cursing was the norm. I made a decision not to swear, to find alternative adjectives and exclamations, and my coworkers definitely noticed. The few times I did curse, like if I was genuinely hurt and not thinking but just reacting in pain, my apprentice later told me, “I’d never heard you swear like that before!”

3 Likes

I hate this. It used to get bleeped on tv, but now it seems to be ok with the sensors. Even on sitcoms.

When it has happened at work, I’d just give an “Oohh… He’s got nothin’ to do with it.” Along with a certain… look. Worked good. No repeat offenders.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.