What to do if you have the Blessed Blood above your lips?

Two weeks ago, I was altar serving and I accidentally took a larger sip than I used to and some of the Precious Blood spilled on my upper lip skin and my tongue couldn’t reach it…and I didn’t want to act like a fool on the altar and use my finger to wipe it off and then suck on my finger! That would look very inappropriate in my eyes.

So what I done was used my tongue very discreetly to consume the lower half of it and then let the upper half remain on my lips while it dries.

I hope I did the right thing with the Precious Blood.

You can never be too careful when dealing with the Precious Eucharist, so that is why I posted this thread, so in case of next time if this happens, I will know what to do.

Thanks!

We are washed in the precious Blood of Christ. Our garments are made clean by our faith in Him, and by our regeneration and new birth in Baptism. His blood is now our life; His body is now our eternal home. Be not afraid of touching the precious blood of our God and Lord, if it is in your heart to treat Him reverently.

Look at what St. Cyril of Jerusalem said of the Communion of the Precious Blood:

Catechetical Lecture 23, Paragraph 22: newadvent.org/fathers/310123.htm

after thou hast partaken of the Body of Christ, draw near also to the Cup of His Blood; not stretching forth thine hands, but bending, and saying with an air of worship and reverence, ‘Amen’, hallow thyself by partaking also of the Blood of Christ. And while the moisture is still upon thy lips, touch it with thine hands, and hallow thine eyes and brow and the other organs of sense. Then wait for the prayer, and give thanks unto God, who hath accounted thee worthy of so great mysteries.

A Father and Doctor of the Church accounts it most beautiful to touch the moisture on our lips from the Blood, and use our fingertips the make the sign of the Cross upon the forehead, eyelids, etc. :slight_smile:

I would simply ask Fr. Serpa here on CAF. He would know.

I wouldn’t want to risk sacrilege, say if the Precious Blood (dried) later gets washed off your face. Like I said, ask Fr Serpa.

after thou hast partaken of the Body of Christ, draw near also to the Cup of His Blood; not stretching forth thine hands, but bending, and saying with an air of worship and reverence, ‘Amen’, hallow thyself by partaking also of the Blood of Christ. And while the moisture is still upon thy lips, touch it with thine hands, and hallow thine eyes and brow and the other organs of sense. Then wait for the prayer, and give thanks unto God, who hath accounted thee worthy of so great mysteries.

Beautiful.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.