What to do in times of Conflict

I’m sad to admit that I struggle with a part of the Churches teaching. I know the correct teaching of the Church on a certain issue and I believe the teaching is authentic because I truly believe in the Church. I even think the teaching is morally superior. Given my situation however, this teaching has come into conflict with me and I have not found the strength to follow it. I’m like the man who Jesus told to go and sell all that he had and follow him and he walked away saddened.

What can a person do in this situation? I genuinely can not find the strength to do the right thing in this area of my life. I want to but I fail miserably to do so. There is conflict in me such as when Paul says he did what he did not want to do. I’m really stuck here and I’m miserable about it because I love Christ and I love His Church.

1 Like

PRAY and ask God to give you the Grace to do HIS WILL not your own.I try to do this every day.

2 Likes

I do pray and I genuinely pray rosaries concerning this in my life but the struggle continues.

Would it help if you visualized Christ telling you face-to-face to follow the Church teaching?

Welcome to the world with all of the rest of us sinners. The only thing that matters is that even though you continue to fail at this you continue to try and do better. A Saint is a sinner who keeps trying. God knows we are flawed. He knows we are pieces of work. He loves us despite all of that and He sees our hearts. If we really want to change and we keep trying and never give up. He just wants us to realize alone we can do nothing but with Him everything is possible.

3 Likes

I definitely hear the Spirit telling me directly not to give in. That’s why I’m so disappointed in myself. I have ears to hear and a stubborn heart.

I appreciate this. This is the hope I hang onto. I just wish my selfish desires in this area would disappear. I’d be so much happier if I weren’t so darn selfish.

You at least recognize that you have an issue. That is the first step. Always bring everything like this to God and as k for His help. Like our Priest tells us BEG GOD for His help.

1 Like

Talk to a priest. I mean schedule an appointment so you can tell him what’s going on, and he can advise you, and you guys can talk it over.

It sounds like you’ve gotten yourself into a jam, and I would imagine it happened as a consequence of choices you made long ago and can’t undo. It sounds impossible, but you know what? God doesn’t expect us to do the impossible. Doing the impossible is his department. You have much reason for hope.

So my advice, apart from what I first wrote, is to keep the faith, live virtuously to the extent that you can, keep your eyes set on Jesus, pray for guidance, grace, and peace, and be patient.

2 Likes

Pray and ask for others to pray for you. :pray::pray::pray:

2 Likes

The best way to overcome a habitual sin or failing is frequent confession! That’s where God gives us healing graces to be victorious over sin, learn to love Him, and love His will for us. Think about confessing every week or so.

1 Like

There’s a great story from the tales and sayings of the Desert Fathers. A young monk once asked one of the elders what he does out in the desert all day. The old man replied, “I fall, then I get up. Then I fall, and I get up again.”

The Scriptures tell us that even a righteous man falls seven times a day. We’re all sinners. The worst thing you can do is let the devil discourage you from continuing the combat.

A Franciscan friar once gave me some very sound words to ponder: “God is always trying to build you up. The devil is always trying to tear you down.” Whenever you start to feel discouraged after a fall, just remember that saying and repeat it to yourself. Then if you need to go to confession, go. It’s not called a “sacrament of healing” for nothing.

3 Likes

What’s amazing is you are acknowledging that Jesus knows better than you! That shows humility and that the Holy Spirit is working in you. ( I’m stealing part of that from some advice from confession given to me :slight_smile: ). You keep getting up like @CajunJoy65 says. Keep working on it. I was once pro choice, pro birth control and pro other sexual choices that are wrong. I don’t feel brain washed in The slightest all of what I feel now are in line with church and that’s not me. That’s the graces from the sacraments at work in me. You are changing every day my friend just don’t be too impatient like me

2 Likes

So, you have found that the Church is true and the teaching is true, but it is a hard teaching?

At some point we all find the teachings hard. Following them is what makes people saints.

1 Like

Pray with an open heart for God’s graces. With God on your side, things that seem impossible become possible.

3 Likes

Would you mind sharing what convinced you?

Well I realised that whatever way you look at it, abortion is murder. I started to think differently about sex when I observed what harm comes from sex outside of marriage

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.