What to do when deeply depressed?

Hi everyone. I am deeply depressed right now. What can or should I do when I am deeply depressed like this? :confused:

I would find some good distraction…
You can read the Catechism for example about the Creed, and seek to understand the Faith and what the Truth of things really are. Depression often relly on when we can’t make sense out of things. Since God is all we can appeal to, reading about his point of view is the best to do, in mho.

You can also read about LIFE IN CHRIST.

Reading can be a good distraction and would take attention away from the darkside or put light in it.

[3] And God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
[4] And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. -Genesis 1

God bless

Think of Jesus’ Passion :slight_smile:

Go for a really long walk, yup you may have to face your own thoughts and feelings, but you can take the time to decide what you want to do next…go back home, watch tv, read useless things on the internet and feel miserable, or, do something productive, work, paint, exercise, play an instrument and read a book…

I’ve never been depressed, let alone deeply depressed, so I don’t really know, but usually when I’m fed up and just want to sleep forever, a long walk to sort out my head does the trick, start a new phase of trying to fit as much into a day as possible…if it fails, eat lots of ice cream, make a cake and ice it with a happy face, destry the cake and watch chat shows and think ‘well at least I ain’t like that / in that situation’ :shrug:

Cob

Poor Holly. You don’t tell us why you are depressed. There may be a specific reason or maybe you are like me. I am always clinically depressed and sometimes it feel like I am living in a thick, black, malevolent fog.

Have you seen a doctor? Are you on meds? If you have been started on antidepressants they can take a few weeks before they kick in. I find talking to my very good friend helps me see things from a different perspective.

I’ll be thinking and praying for you.:thumbsup:

If you have reason to believe you are headed for a serious long-term bout of depression, see your doctor right away. If you have been through this before you probably know the signs. If it seems a temporary thing, a reaction to some bad stuff in your life recently, the cure is of course prayer, especially return to regular prayer, Mass and sacraments if you have been slipping in that area. the number one cure is service. Find someone who needs help today and do something for them. Find something in the parish or community you can commit to for a longer period of time and do it. Nothing puts our own problems in perspective like seeing first hand what other people are dealing with. If you are the same poster who has had a couple of bouts with illness this year, it might be a good idea to see your doctor again, since the illness or medications might be having a lingering effect. Praying for you.

In addition to the suggestions here to speak with your doctor, I also recommend spending time praying before the Blessed Sacrament, daily if you can, asking for healing, peace and joy in your life.

spiritually speaking, you should go to Eucharistic Adoration. Being at the presence of Jesus, He will give you peace. For reading, I’d recommend you this book: “Abandonment to Divine Providence”.

Perhaps your not getting enough sunlight. This time of year depresses many. And with the Holidays coming up, sometimes that can throw one off (for many reasons).

If there are causes for feeling down/depressed, it would be better to work on those to ease the feeling.
If it’s seasonal (winter), sunlight or extra vitamin D can help till Spring returns.
If it’s when all else is going well, but one cannot enjoy it… it’s time for seeing the Doctor. Especially if it lasts for a month or more. Also, not all med’s work for all, have to find the one(s) that does the trick for you.

Up here it’s normal for me from about Nov. till about Feb., but I find that getting into the Winter Fun Stuff, can help.

Doing Charitable work can also lift the spirits.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

Remember, O Most gracious Virgin Mary that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of Virgins, my mother. To thee do I come, before thee I kneel, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word incarnate, despise not my petitions but in thy mercy hear and answer them. Amen.

Holly, we were created for happiness. From The Cathechism of the Catholic Church:

II. The Desire for Happiness
1718 The Beatitudes respond to the natural desire for happiness. This desire is of divine origin: God has placed it in the human heart in order to draw man to the One who alone can fulfill it:
[INDENT]We all want to live happily; in the whole human race there is no one who does not assent to this proposition, even before it is fully articulated.

How is it, then, that I seek you, Lord? Since in seeking you, my God, I seek a happy life, let me seek you so that my soul may live, for my body draws life from my soul and my soul draws life from you.

God alone satisifes.
**1721 ** God put us in the world to know, to love, and to serve him, and so to come into paradise. Beatitude makes us “partakers of the divine nature” and of eternal life. WIth beatitude, man enters into the glory of Christ and into the joy of the Trinitarian life.

Here is a sculpture of St. Teresa of Avila, who founded the order of the Discalced Carmelites and lived as a nun until her death. I am stupid in many ways, but to the best of my horribly imperfect knowledge: Saint Teresa became a nun because she had so many affairs in childhood that her father thought she would never become a proper Spanish noblewoman. Thus, he sent her to a convent. She found out that she LIKED it, and she decided to go back to the convent in secret at the age of 20 against his later wishes. There’s a funny quote by her that some man was looking at her heels as she got into a carriage to go to the convent, and she said something like: “Take a long look, because that’s the last time that you’re ever going to see them again!” Here’s an image of her: http://www.churchtimes.co.uk/uploads/images/The%20Ecstasy%20of%20St%20Teresa%231%23.jpg
She was very happy, because the Sacred Heart of Jesus was her spouse and he came to her both spiritually and physically since that was what he believed that she needed/wanted. I have only read a small selection of her autobiography and all of her book The Way of Perfection, http://www.catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/way/wayofperfection.cfm and The Life of St. Teresa of Avila: http://www.catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/life/teresaofavila.cfm and I didn’t understand until very recently - deeper meanings behind why she was so incredibly happy and why all the nuns were longing for ‘consolations’ or she would be unable to control herself from moaning in public and so was obtaining a reputation. I didn’t understand until I experienced it myself, without even longing for it or having any idea that it existed and knowing that it may perhaps never happen again. I also found out that my experiences with God through Mary may be healing perversions in my mind, brokenness in my heart, slowly but surely as I persevere on the route to the Sacred Heart of Jesus who may be the only true source of happiness: the true Spouse and KING

St. Louis Mary de Montfort teaches that Jesus comes with the Virgin and the Cross. I read somewhere, and I cannot remember where that Jesus often does not come to us as much as we would desire because we do not pursue him a manner worthy of him. How do you think that one should pursue the most glorious King on Earth? If he is as great and powerful and awe-inspiring as we say he is, shouldn’t we be willing to follow him to the ends of the earth with nothing in return even to a tiny village in Zimbabwe? So the CROSS might be a wonderful thing because it allows us to prove our love to Christ before it is too late and purifies our love and the BIBLE teaches us that he gives us more than we can ask for, so maybe he loves us infinitely more than we love him and shows us his love for us in far greater measure than that we gave to him. Such a WONDERFUL LORD, SAVIOR, SPOUSE, LOVER, FRIEND.

“GOD ALONE IS ENOUGH” St. Teresa of Avila
[/INDENT]

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

These are the steps that maybe perhaps one should take to find union with God through Mary, which is where happiness lies. Remember, it took me about 5 years before making the decision to follow God through Mary and give up everything for the sake of this great King if necessary before he led me to an obviously supernatural union with himself. However, LOL, it only took me about two-three weeks since seriously completing the True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html before it happened. I guess perhaps it was true for me that it is as St. Louis Mary de Montfort writes in this great and holy book, *"**152. *This devotion is a smooth, short, perfect, and sure way of attaining union with our Lord, in which Christian perfection consists."

1. Perhaps Stop SINNING! Maybe sin is to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary like having a wonderful husband and spouse and cheating on him by sleeping with every other person under the sun while still trying to tell him that you love him. Will he believe you? "Adulterers! Do you not know to be a lover of the world means enmity with God? Therefore, whoever wants to be a lover of the world makes himself an emey of God. (James 4:4)

2. Perhaps PRAY! In **St. Faustina’s Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul **

146 Prayer. - A soul arms itself by prayer for all kinds of combat. In whatever state the soul may be, it ought to pray. A soul which is pure and beautiful must pray, or else it will lose its beauty; a soul which is striving after this purity must pray, or else it will never attain it; a soul which is newly converted must pray, or else it will fall again; a sinful soul, plunged in sins, must pray so that it might rise again. There is no soul which is not bound to pray, for every single grace comes to the soul through prayer.

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS3.shtml

Maybe the best prayer to say is the Most Holy Rosary daily! In Fatima, the Immaculate Heart of Mary came down from Heaven and told us to say the Rosary daily. St. Louis Mary de Montfort in **Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html told us that the Immaculate Heart of Mary loves this prayer/chanting more than any other prayer. (NOTE: THIS BOOK HAS WONDERFUL TIPS ON THE POWER OF THE ROSARY AND HOW TO AVOID DISTRACTIONS WHILE PRAYING)

Sister Lucy of Fatima says of the Rosary, “She has given this efficacy to such an extent that there is no problem; no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all, spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families, of the families of the world, or of the religious communities, or even of the life of peoples and nations, that cannot be solved by the Rosary.”

St. Padre Pio “Here we are at last in the month of our beautiful Mother once again… This dear Mother continues to lavish her maternal care upon me, especially during the present month. She takes care of me to an exceeding degree… I am all aflame although there is no fire. I feel myself held fast and bound to the Son by means of this Mother… I’d like to fly off to invite all creatures to love Jesus and Mary.”

“Love our Lady, make others love her. Always say your Rosary and say it well. Satan always tries to destroy this prayer, but he will never succeed. It is the prayer of her who triumphs over everything and everyone.”

“The one who prays a lot saves himself. The one who prays little is in danger. The one who does not pray loses his soul.” St. Padre Pio

1. Visit the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary in the Most Blessed Sacrament:
    Maybe one can keep this Eucharistic Adoration page open as an automatic homepage. I do. :thumbsup: :slight_smile: :smiley: louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx

One should also go to mass as often as possible, Daily, if possible and go to Eucharistic Adoration as often as possible.

The Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us. is wonderful reading for understanding the depths and mysteries of why one should visit the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.

I would not have known about the ardent desire Jesus Christ feels to be with us if I had not read about it in that book :wink: :blush:

1. Maybe one should get to know Jesus and Mary. Mary is the best route to Jesus, and so she should be studied, learned about, and contemplated. One cannot love someone that one does not know so if we say that we love the Sacred Heart of Jesus and we do not know him intimately, what are we saying? And St. Louis Mary de Montfort teaches that whenever we think of Mary, she thinks of God for us and helps lead us to God, … or something like that… remember I am ignorant in many ways and sometimes get things wrong :blush: So to be with the Sacred Heart of Jesus, maybe we should know who he is in addition to spending time with him:

Here are my favorite works so far on the Immaculate Heart of Mary since I am still in a naive beginner learning stage and have so much more to read and learn.

True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM

P.S. if you begin to say the Most Holy Rosary daily or weekly, maybe you might enroll yourself in the: Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.

Excerpt from True Devotion to Mary Section 90. A counterfeiter usually makes coins only of gold and silver, rarely of other metals, because these latter would not be worth the trouble. Similarily, the devil leaves other devotions alone and counterfeits mostly those directed to Jesus and Mary, for example, devotion to the Holy Eucharist and to the Blessed Virgin, because these are to other devotions what gold and silver are to other metals.

**5 ** Practice Christian virtues, especially that of humility and love. Maybe one can pray the Litany of Humility daily to ask for humility: Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm

**6. ** Serve God through Mary. Carry one’s Cross. Maybe the Garden of Gethsemane is our new Garden of Eden. St. Louis Mary de Montfort in the Secret of Mary writes that the Cross contains shards of the Tree of Life. St. Therese of Liseux writes “Far more by suffering and persecution than by eloquent discourse does Jesus wish to build up His Kingdom.” oldsite.catholicism.org/saint-therese-strong-virgin.html

It was only in the very pits of a prolonged period of suffering that the Sacred Heart of Jesus came to me both in my soul and physically and brought me joy. Maybe we show our love for the Sacred Heart of Jesus except by enduring trials and suffering. Maybe just as we have less genuine intimacy with a fair-weather friend, we have less intimacy with the Sacred Heart of Jesus as his fair-weather friends.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Devoting all I can to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Another great prayer to be said in addition to the Most Holy Rosary is the
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

Serve God by prayer, by fulfilling the Beatitudes, by helping the pro-life movement, by preaching the Gospel, if necessary use words". For example, one can join the Militia of the Immaculata Young Adults, if it is available in your area, age 18-35 miyouth.org/local/ and/or become a member of the Legion of Mary legionofmary.org/ . Do this the sevring of God 100% UTMOST of your ability as if it is your ultimate mission on earth, relying on God through Mary for comfort NOT relying on his creatures: everyone else. Maybe also try to have a spiritual director, of the Carmelites or Franciscans to direct your spiritual growth without error. :slight_smile: :thumbsup: :blush:

And when suffering comes, maybe say, “Jesus through Mary, I do this for you,” and think about how God through Mary will use your suffering for the greater good and eventually bring you joy when God through Mary believes that you have endured enough for his sake.

As St. Therese of Liseux reportedly said as she died of tuberculosis at 24, “I have reached the point of not being able to suffer any more, because all suffering is sweet to me.”

And remember the gospel of Jesus Christ, “If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off.” I lost many friends and someone I was dating who talked with me about marriage and even maybe family in my pursuit of Jesus, but the reward - over time, definitely not immediately in the beginning, has been a union that I did not expect. Keep in mind though that "Love Conquers All. I may not have needed to cut off all that I did if my love had been strong enough, but since my love was not strong enough that those bad influences pulled me down instead of me pulling the influences up - I spiritually benefited from cutting them off and am now in a place ordained and blessed by God through Mary. But one must keep in mind that if one has the pure love of God through Mary, one can be stronger than these influences. An extremely devout woman at my church is married to a non-believer, yet her son has just entered the seminary. And as for the painful cutting off of those influences that cause you to sin, however, five years later, I suspect that maybe, just perhaps, I will gain even more than I lost though the patience and time in waiting - five years at mimimum :eek:

Maybe it is also helpful to read the diaries of the saints, particularly those saints who found love of God and started their diaries as young adults and are amazing, powerful, inspirational inspirations such as St. Therese of Liseux and St. Faustina

**Diary of St. Faustina: Divine Mercy in My Soul **saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

Autobiography of **St. Therese of Liseux: The Story of a Soul **gutenberg.org/etext/16772

These women seem to live out what St. John of the Cross wrote about in ** Dark Night of the Soul:** ccel.org/ccel/john_cross/dark_night.html

P.S. Mother Teresa’s actual first name was Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, she renamed herself after St. Therese of Liseux - that’s how holy that female saint is - and she didn’t start out holy from the beginning, she became holy :eek: :thumbsup:

P.P.S. If you are having trouble in praying the Most Holy Rosary, praying with other people might help. A Militia of the Immaculata chapter should have people who pray the Most Holy Rosary together and in some churches, either before or after Daily Mass is a group that prays the Most Holy Rosary

May the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary grace us with gifts that we desperately need!!

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Holly, hope you are feeling less depressed now than when you posted.

We’re all different but probably my first suggestion is the same as that of another poster to go for a long walk, unless of course it is lousy day.

I find that either counting my steps or listening to my breathing while walking can improve how I feel.

If you can’t go out maybe putting on some music may help. I find that putting on music I like and know the words too can help as trying to remember the words can distract me. Re watching videos can also help improve how I feel.

When upset I sometimes sit and play computer games like solitaire and spider - I become annoyed at not winning because I am playing badly and soon I find myself focussing on winning and start to feel better.

As other posters have said if this is a common experience for you, you need to seek professional assistance.

And if things are really bad ring someone (friend or family) and talk to them. If they live nearby maybe you could go out for coffee/tea/chocolate with them, or go to their place.

Good advice and there are some posts here with good advice.

Mine would be that firstly, if one suspects one is really deeply depressed or if it is a consistent persevering state to seek out medical help because it can be an illness and may need medical treatment. Not necessarily, but depression can quite quickly worsen - even spiral quite out of control - and it is better to be sure than sorry and to advise one’s doctor and get help. Nothing at all is lost if one’s doctor advises that the depression is not that needing medical treatment.

It is not a weak person that seeks help, rather it is a strong, wise and prudent person that recognizes that we all need help at times - everyone without exception - and the wise person recognizes when one is at the point of needing help…the strong and prudent then seek help out. Holly, you are indicating that you do think you need help, by opening this thread…but I remain totally doubtful that a discussion board is necessarily the best place to obtain it in this instance. Or at least it should not be the only place you are seeking help if you feel your depressed state is out of the normal everyday type of “down day” we can all experience.

The other thing is not to isolate oneself with one’s depressed thoughts for company, but to strive if not every day then at least every couple of days to have company of some kind by visiting or having a visitor(s)…and if possible a visit or visitor one can be relaxed and open with, trustful of, who is sound in common sense too. If not, then just a cup of coffee and a chat about general things. Ensure that you get out of the house and at least go for a walk once every two days…look at and think about all you see around you - get outside of the prison of your own mind. Depression feeds and grows on its own company, its own isolated depressive thoughts and thinking.

During the days of my own severe struggles, I would rather often just jump on a bus and go to some coffee place and have a coffee…just to get myself out and about and out of the prison that my own thoughts could become. I would force myself not to think, but to be observant and think about anything at all that was outside of “me”.
A senior mental health worker and a great pal of mine said to me “It’s going to be like pushing a heavy barrel up a steep hill”…and that is very much what it was like as I had literally to force myself to do things without a sense of motivation nor enjoyment…however persevering in doing what I was advised by sound reliable advice and by being prayerful and forcing myself (against my feelings) to be trustful of God in it all, perseverance brought forth good fruit.

Most of all and always, Pray. Pray as if everything depended on prayer…and work (as above) as if all depended on work. I too am hoping that your spirits have lifted from when you first opened this thread and I will be keeping you in prayer…I did note and take to heart (although I did not comment) your post into the Prayer Requests forum.:thumbsup:

Barb:)

Do you have anyone you can talk to? Not even professional help, just a close friend that can help. I know what I started doing, about a year and a half ago, was telling my husband, I can feel myself slipping, help pull me back out. I can feel the depression coming, slowly sliding over me. If I get to it quick enough, then I’m alright. It’s when I think I can handle it on my own, that I’m down for weeks.
If you feel deeply depressed. I would get help and that doesn’t mean you have to take meds., although they do have there place and if you need them then please take them. But there are a lot of things you can do…I did work in a depression handbook for a while, it was like a journal, but had questions to answer. That helped. My first step was to stop hiding it from people. I would always act happy, but inside I hurt so much. Once I started being open with my family and friends I started to get better, because I have support on my bad days.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and support.

St. Lucy, I have seen a doctor and I have been on anti-depressant medication for a few years now. I haven’t been taking them like I should though and just recently started taking them again so that could be part of the reason why I got depressed.

The reason I got depressed was because I was rejected by the man that I am in love with. His name is Darrell. That was my reason. Anyway, thanks again.

[quote=Holly3278]Thanks everyone for your prayers and support.

St. Lucy, I have seen a doctor and I have been on anti-depressant medication for a few years now. I haven’t been taking them like I should though and just recently started taking them again so that could be part of the reason why I got depressed.
[/quote]

Isn’t there a time before antidepressents kick in! If so, you should be starting to feel a bit better.

I have a spray for sinus and I have to remember to use it every day or the symptoms recur and I have to wait until it kicks in again.

[quote=Holly3278]The reason I got depressed was because I was rejected by the man that I am in love with. His name is Darrell. That was my reason. Anyway, thanks again.
[/quote]

I’m sorry you’ve been rejected by the man you love. No wonder you are depressed, it would be surprising if you weren’t.

It’s a time to look after yourself - eating well, getting exercise even this if it isn’t what you feel like doing.

Be kind to yourself.

Yeah the anti-depressants usually start working at least some within a few days for me but they won’t start working completely for another couple of weeks.

That said, I am trying to look after myself well. Sometimes its hard when you don’t feel like getting out of bed but I do it anyway… well, some of the time.

I suffer from major depression. It’s a form of clinical depression that pretty much never goes away. It sucks having it. What the major means is severe. I have been suicidal a number of times and have been in the hospital a number of times for it as well.

College was some of the worst years of my life and I was deeply depressed during those times.

I was a very lukewarm Catholic at the time. I had nowhere / noone else to turn to, so I decided to go to daily mass and beg the Lord to end my life. I’m not all that happy-go-lucky now, but still doing much better than I was. I understand that the affliction I had to undergo was necessary in order to bring my back fully into the Church and save my soul.

Satan wants you to commit suicide because that’s essentially saying that God’s grace is not strong enough to help you. It’s admitting defeat and saying that Satan is the stronger, and that’s a big fat lie.

I don’t know what it feels like to be clinically depressed, but when I’m feeling desperate, I go to holy mass or adoration. I might not feel better but at least I let the Lord know that I need his help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.