What to do when RCIA class keeps debating the issue of women in the priesthood?

It seems this topic of women as Priests won’t go away in our RCIA class. I believe some in the class has adequately discussed it to the point of irritation.

If you were sitting before a class of 20+ participants, and someone asked the question (s) “How come the Catholic Church does not allow women as Priests & will they ever”?

In your opinion what is the best way to go?

Thank you for your help in advance.

God Bless!

It’s the RCIA instructor’s responsibility to intervene when a discussion gets out of control, especially when the subject being discussed is not open to debate. If the problem persists, I recommend you discuss your concerns privately with the teacher.

Concerning what to say when someone asks why the Church doesn’t allow women to be priests, you can simply say, “Because the Lord Jesus chose men to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry"…and the Church is “bound by this choice made by the Lord himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.” (*Catechism * 1577)

Will women ever be ordained? No. The Holy Father has made it clear in *Ordinatio Sacerdotalis * that women will never be ordained to the priesthood.

“Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.”

rdotalisOrdinatio Sace Apostolic Letter on Reserving Priestly Ordination to Men Alone
His Holiness Pope John Paul II

Recommended reading on why women will never be ordained to the priesthood:

Why no women’s ordination

Ordination is not a Right

Women and the Priesthood

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.