What to do when you can't go to Confession

I just found out that for reasons outside of my control (transportation) I won’t be able to go to Confession until NEXT Saturday, or at best, next Tuesday. If Tuesday won’t work out, it means I’ll have to wait a week and a half. I really feel that I have committed a sin that is grave matter, and it might be a mortal sin. I’m kind of scared :frowning: what should I do? I trust God that in His mercy He will allow me to go to Confession, and I’m planning to pray the Rosary daily… but I hate living like this. I feel such a big weight on my soul. I’ll also have to miss this Sunday’s Eucharist :frowning: I guess I’ll just do a spiritual communion then.

My only suggestion is prayer. Sometimes when you ask God to send you the opportunity for confession, it just seems to happen… He draws us to Himself!

Say an Act of Contrition, some prayers… Just talk to God and tell him you are sorry for what you did… confess it to God until you can go to confession.

I asked my priest one time,

“Father, can I receive Communion if I think that I’ve committed a mortal sin but know that I intend to go to confession as soon as I’m able?”

He said,

“Sure, just say an Act of Contrition.”

I think the Lord knows your heart, sister, and I think you’re being way to hard on yourself about all these grave sins you’re committing. In trying to love Our Lord more by respecting the Holy Eucharist, it seems that you are slighting him by not trusting in his great love and mercy for you and your faults.

Hey, it is first Friday this week. Some parishes have additional Masses/Confessions. You may want to check around.

I recommend looking for other parishes in your area and seeing if any of them offers Confession more frequently. Some churches even offer daily Confession. You might find that one offers a more frequent Confession than your own church.

If you’re going to Mass on Sunday, couldn’t you ask the priest to hear your confession while you’re there?

Betsy

This is what I was going to say. Just grab Father before Mass and tell him that you feel that you need to confess before you receive communion. I’m sure he’ll understand if he’s any kind of priest at all.

thanks everyone!! :slight_smile:

thankfully, and very unexpectedly… I was able to go to Confession after all!!! :smiley: thanks be to God.

If you don’t know if you committed a mortal sin then you haven’t. The three conditions have to be met…one of them being knowing it is grave matter…and then doing it anyway desptie knowing this. So it sounds as if you don’t know if it is grave or not.

I have had that happen, too. (Unfortunately, it caught me off guard, :eek: and I ran the opposite direction) Isn’t it neat how Jesus draws us to Himself?

I can’t answer about the Eucharist, that is between you, your conscience and God–and perhaps your Priest if you choose to get his advice.

You might try asking Mother Mary for intercession. Here is a prayer I once composed to the Blessed Virgin Mary for this sort of thing:

NOTE: Please note, this prayer was personally composed myself, except for the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be and Act of Contrition of course. Anyway, please understand this prayer has no liturgical standing with the Church and carries no indulgence or promises or guarantees.

Monica, as Fr. Corapi has described his reversion story, when he was brought to his knees (literally) by his abject poverty, addiction, homelessness, & desperation in L.A., he came back to his mother’s home in NY. While in that dreary condition (& until he reached home) all he had at the time was a prayer card that his mother had sent him, which he finally used in his hour of need.

Once home, he just interiorly surendered to God, knowing he had nothing left and that his life of sin had led him to that pathetic state. His message to God was merely that he would do whatever it took to reunite with God and turn his life around. It was at that moment that he was given the grace to have perfect contrition, a grace which he accepted and which resulted in a profound experience of unity with God even before his trip to confession which he planned for the very next day.

I am condensing the story (as he naturally tells it much better & more completely), but I tell it to show the sequence: the intent to confess sacramentally, combined with contrition based on love & sorrow directed to the beloved, are in themselves sufficiently redemptive. God reads the heart. It’s important to carry out the intent to confess, but the intent first of all, and the contrition, are the essentials to God.

I'm exactly the same way! I feel that I have committed a mortal sin and I know that the Lord is very merciful but I need to go to confession. I haven't been to church for 3 weeks because my parents won't take me and miss the Lord in the Eucharist so much. I just miss that time with Him in general. My mom says I can go to confession sometime but that could be months. Confession is the fountain of Christ's Mercy and it is really awful not to be able to go. I don't want to offend the Lord by taking communion with a mortal sin on my conscience. It's so hard!

[quote="Epistemes, post:4, topic:164354"]
I asked my priest one time,

"Father, can I receive Communion if I think that I've committed a mortal sin but know that I intend to go to confession as soon as I'm able?"

He said,

"Sure, just say an Act of Contrition."

I think the Lord knows your heart, sister, and I think you're being way to hard on yourself about all these grave sins you're committing. In trying to love Our Lord more by respecting the Holy Eucharist, it seems that you are slighting him by not trusting in his great love and mercy for you and your faults.

[/quote]

This is VERY terrible advise!!! DO NOT go to communion if you are in mortal sin. You must go to confession before you receive communion if you are in mortal sin.

[quote="Monica4316, post:1, topic:164354"]
I just found out that for reasons outside of my control (transportation) I won't be able to go to Confession until NEXT Saturday, or at best, next Tuesday. If Tuesday won't work out, it means I'll have to wait a week and a half. I really feel that I have committed a sin that is grave matter, and it might be a mortal sin. I'm kind of scared :( what should I do? I trust God that in His mercy He will allow me to go to Confession, and I'm planning to pray the Rosary daily... but I hate living like this. I feel such a big weight on my soul. I'll also have to miss this Sunday's Eucharist :( I guess I'll just do a spiritual communion then.

[/quote]

Reminds me of me 24/7 hahaha

I get this problem sometimes too. I commit a sin that is probably grave matter but I don’t exactly know if I was in a proper mindset (maybe I was too tired or maybe I was going through a lot of emotional problems). I have learned that if I am really questioning it, I probably didn’t commit a mortal sin. Only you know though. If you are in question, I think the Eucharist can really help. A priest once told me that the Eucharist essentially wipes away all venial sin. However, even if you are still in doubt, may I suggest this to you: Jesus tells us in the Bible (I believe Luke chapter 7) that the woman’s sins were forgiven because she loved greatly. Those that are forgiven much will then love much. Again in 1 Peter, Peter writes that “love covers up a multitude of sins.” In the end, even if we did go to Confession but weren’t loving people, we wouldn’t really be ‘getting the point.’ Love is the answer to everything. If you are struggling with what is going on in your soul, seek to love more. And then you will find that whatever sins may have been bothering you have been erased. Then once you are able to go to Confession, go! And do so humbly. Then after you get out of the Confessional, understand the lies of sin. Whatever sin you committed, at the time the sin was a pleasure to you. It served some sort of twisted purpose. Of course it served a purpose, otherwise you wouldn’t have done it. So understand that the sin you committed in the end is a lie from the devil. And you must firmly believe that ahead of time, otherwise when temptation comes you will continue to succumb to it. And remember, that no temptation and no force of evil is EVER more powerful than the power of Jesus resurrected. Go in peace :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.