What to do with tiny urn containing cremains?

In 2005 my aunt died. My sister had her cremated. She interred my aunt’s remains next to my grandmother’s grave in a Catholic cemetery. Then she had retained a small amount of the cremains and put them into miniature urns, sending me one of the urns and keeping the other for herself.

I never asked for this. I never would have wanted someone’s ashes stored in my house since I would be constantly reminded of what they are, and it would make me feel bad.

One day I opened the mail box and there they were, all the way from Tinley Park, IL.

What can I do with them? I told my daughter to put the urn in with me when I die, but, in the meantime, I have them here. Since most of her cremains are already buried and I doubt that there is much ash in this heavy, miniature urn, I wouldn’t go to the expense of having them put in a columbarium. I keep them in a glass cabinet. I try not to dwell on it, and I put them in a place where I would not have to see them.

The following links should help answer your question about the proper treatment of cremains. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Does the Church allow cremation?
Is it correct to keep the cremains of a deceased relative in your home?
How do I decline to scatter human cremains?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.