What to do?

I've always been deeply religious and have studied religion informally my entire life. I am looking to make a vocation out of it. What are some possible careers to consider?

Well i think the best VOCATION to study hard on religion and to God's will also...is to become a priest!!! you should definitely spend some time in front of the blessed sacrament and pray to God for guidance. Aslo ask a priest for advice, or a spiritual director.
Good Luck and God Bless :)

All the lay people I know who earn a living working for the Catholic Church or some Catholic agency or organization have one of these:

--Masters degree in Theology
--Masters degree in Social Work

I know that the Catholic Answers organization has a few Apologists on staff who don't have Master's degrees. But I'm guessing there are only half a dozen or so of them, and they probably get something like 4,000 resumes every year for one of those positions.

Perhaps my answer is discouraging to you. Well, consider this: Even the Apostle Paul, the greatest evangelist and religious teacher ever, had a side job by which to support himself financially: he was a tent maker. He boasts in his letters in the Bible that he supported himself by non-religious work.

Consider this: Neither Jesus nor the Apostle Paul charged anything for their teaching.

But, what's my point? I don't know. I wish you well.

Having seen your other postings elsewhere on here (where you state that you would disown a child of yours that wished to become a priest), I would suggest that your first vocation should be to truth, honour, charity and honesty.

Besides which, you don't make a vocation. It makes you.

[quote="DexUK, post:4, topic:270568"]
Having seen your other postings elsewhere on here (where you state that you would disown a child of yours that wished to become a priest), I would suggest that your first vocation should be to truth, honour, charity and honesty.

[/quote]

^^This^^

As God is the source of truth, it is to God that we must go for truth. God gave us the guidelines through Jesus, and Jesus gave authority to the Church, and sent God's Holy Spirit to guide and inspire the Church. We can just decide for ourselves, as human creatures, that we dislike this one or that one of what is God's truth and what is in obedience to God's commandment of love! We are small fragile creatures. If we try to tell the infinite Creator of all things that we reject His truth, how can we imagine for one second that this can prevail? What is right **is **right whether or not we like that!. :)

Have you read the gospels?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church :
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

[quote="Bartolome_Casas, post:3, topic:270568"]
All the lay people I know who earn a living working for the Catholic Church or some Catholic agency or organization have one of these:

--Masters degree in Theology
--Masters degree in Social Work

I know that the Catholic Answers organization has a few Apologists on staff who don't have Master's degrees. But I'm guessing there are only half a dozen or so of them, and they probably get something like 4,000 resumes every year for one of those positions.

Perhaps my answer is discouraging to you. Well, consider this: Even the Apostle Paul, the greatest evangelist and religious teacher ever, had a side job by which to support himself financially: he was a tent maker. He boasts in his letters in the Bible that he supported himself by non-religious work.

Consider this: Neither Jesus nor the Apostle Paul charged anything for their teaching.

But, what's my point? I don't know. I wish you well.

[/quote]

You're right. That isn't very encouraging.

[quote="DexUK, post:4, topic:270568"]

[/quote]

I said I would disown them if they became a priest, not if they considered it. If they considered it, I would encourage them to keep considering it until they decided against it.

My vocation is truth, honour and honesty (if not charity). It is the truth that I would never forgo marriage for the sake of a religion and I have been honest about this.

(If not charity)? you wrote.
But charity is the highest requirement for a Christian.

You show in your posts that you are not open to the whole of God's teaching through the Church, so you wouldn't actually be suitable to be an apologist or to have any kind of teaching or instructive 'career' in the Church. It is natural that you unaware of the teaching, but you appear not to value the humility of correctly learning, and appear to dismiss things out of hand.
This at least appears to be the case.
Your rigid intention to disownyour own child ** if he/she became a nun, a priest, shows that you don't understand the primary importance of charity, of LOVE...(and the importance of God's choice, should God choose any of them.) How many pf us have cause to be upset, worried, disappointed, shocked, at some of the choices our children make...they can break our hearts but we still love them and still **give that love to them. We don't turn away. You don't at this stage have children. Perhaps your harshness is partly due to that. If they have taken armful paths, we love the 'sinner' endlessly even though not the 'sin'.

From the Bible
1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

quote="Trishie, post:10, topic:270568"? you wrote.
But charity is the highest requirement for a Christian.

You show in your posts that you are not open to the whole of God's teaching through the Church, so you wouldn't actually be suitable to be an apologist or to have any kind of teaching or instructive 'career' in the Church. It is natural that you unaware of the teaching, but you appear not to value the humility of correctly learning, and appear to dismiss things out of hand.
This at least appears to be the case.
Your rigid intention to disownyour own child ** if he/she became a nun, a priest, shows that you don't understand the primary importance of charity, of LOVE...(and the importance of God's choice, should God choose any of them.) How many pf us have cause to be upset, worried, disappointed, shocked, at some of the choices our children make...we still, love them and still **give that love to them. We don't turn away.

[/quote]

When I was kid, some people at my old church claimed that God had called me to life long singleness for his purpose. They were protestants and so had no clear idea why God would do such a thing but my answer then and still today is and always will be is no. I departed from Christian faith over this.

I'm looking to start a career, get married and have kids. This is not an unsettled issue. Me and God are not bumping heads over this. My answer is no and God knows it. There is nothing to discuss.

I'm not going to come into the church if anyone at all things that God or Jesus wants me single for whatever reason. I would sooner crucify Jesus myself than be single for him. This is how it is and will always be.

I am coming into the the church looking for a family. The very worst people in the world and all the people that are burning in Hell want me to remain single. If this is you, you can join them in Hell.

I need the people that I attend religious services and practice with not to be this way.

So here it is, Does the church want me single or married? The Jews gave me an answer. I want the same answer from the church or I'm leaving.

You are not bound by what some old people said to you, and no one but God has the right to ask you to become a priest and or to live a celibate life. There are times when we can receive misleading 'prophesies' and that may well have been one of them.
It is possible to serve God and not be a priest.
In my own way I am, by trying to be there for people who come to CAF with questions or concerns.

Who knows in which way a ministry may unfold for you.
You may not be aware but there is a possibility for married men to be ordained as Deacons. You may need to wait a few years, when you are fully understanding of the teachings of the Church, but that way could be open to you as a married man

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_31031998_directorium-diaconi_en.html

ehow.com/how_5104601_become-catholic-deacon.html

[quote="SwampThingDude, post:9, topic:270568"]
I said I would disown them if they became a priest, not if they considered it. If they considered it, I would encourage them to keep considering it until they decided against it.

My vocation is truth, honour and honesty (if not charity). It is the truth that I would never forgo marriage for the sake of a religion and I have been honest about this.

[/quote]

You are not required to forgo your marriage for the sake of religion. At least not unless you were to attempt to become a Catholic priest, in which case you would have to be and stay a single man.

The idea that you would do everything in your power to prevent your offspring from becoming priests and then disown them if, despite you, they managed it is objectionably in the extreme. So much for your capability of loving a child of your own.

But I suspect you know this already and that is why you are saying it. I am fast coming to the conclusion that your motives for posting as you do on this site are not honest, truthful, honourable or charitable (especially since you have already indicated you don't wish to live by charity).

[quote="SwampThingDude, post:11, topic:270568"]
I would sooner crucify Jesus myself than be single for him.

[/quote]

And with this statement, I cease to have any interest in arguing with you.

You are clearly here to insult and belittle our faith.

[quote="Trishie, post:12, topic:270568"]
You are not bound by what some old people said to you, and no one but God has the right to ask you to become a priest and or to live a celibate life. There are times when we can receive misleading 'prophesies' and that may well have been one of them.
It is possible to serve God and not be a priest.
In my own way I am, by trying to be there for people who come to CAF with questions or concerns.

Who knows in which way a ministry may unfold for you.
You may not be aware but there is a possibility for married men to be ordained as Deacons. You may need to wait a few years, when you are fully understanding of the teachings of the Church, but that way could be open to you as a married man

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_31031998_directorium-diaconi_en.html

ehow.com/how_5104601_become-catholic-deacon.html

[/quote]

Thank you, I'll check into that.

Guys, i know he is banned now...but he was obviously trolling. You can tell by the way he wrote. He had no intentions of seeking good advice. He was here for one reason; to start an argument. He's probably not even in RCIA. At least i hope he isn't right just yet..because he's certainly not prepared for being Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.