What to do!

Ok. A friend of our family who is a practicing Catholic is planning on getting married in a non-Catholic church next week. He has kids and has been previoiusly married though I am unaware of the circumstances of the first marriage. I am 17 and am not invited to attend the wedding; nevertheless my parents are invited and I think there is reason to be concerned that the marriage my not be valid. My parents don’t understand the full Church teaching on marriage I don’t think, but are both practicing Catholics. I am wondering, if I am obligated to voice my concerns to my parents about them attending the wedding. I just don’t know how I can do so charitably. Yet is it sinful, or even mortally sinful for me, to not speak up in this situation???

Dear sly,

It doesn’t sound like it will be valid. But since you don’t have all the facts, better to leave it alone.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.