What To Do . . .

I have a sitiuation, and I’m not too sure what I should do about it. I go to a Catholic High School and right now I am taking Social Justice and the chapter with abortion came about. I am a very big pro life supporter. And the teacher was talking about how before Roe .vs. Wade when abortions weren’t legal how they weren’t safe, because women were going to anyone and now since they are legal its okay because they are safe. To me that was saying go have an abortion because it’s not going to hurt you and if that’s what you have to do that’s what you have to do. I know there not safe, because I’ve seen the paramedics appear at the abortion clinic that I pray out side of and heard the many stories. But I’m not sure if I should be telling some one that he’s promoting it in a Catholic school? What would you do?

YMcHiCk,
Unfortunately in my Catholic all-girls high school a religion teacher who taught us about social justice issues wasn’t all that traditional either. It seems to be the trend these days.
If anything, abortions have gotten less safe since the government passed a law on them in 1973. I haven’t heard of any real examples of ‘coat hanger abortions’ that occurred before that year. I suggest you read the book ‘Aborted Women: Silent No More.’ It taught me a lot about abortion and its many many dangers on women who have had abortion and of course, the many other victins. You have every right to team up with your local Right to Life or another organization like that and show that teacher how wrong he/she is. I wish you luck and I will be praying for you.

[quote=coralewis]YMcHiCk,
Unfortunately in my Catholic all-girls high school a religion teacher who taught us about social justice issues wasn’t all that traditional either. It seems to be the trend these days.
If anything, abortions have gotten less safe since the government passed a law on them in 1973. I haven’t heard of any real examples of ‘coat hanger abortions’ that occurred before that year. I suggest you read the book ‘Aborted Women: Silent No More.’ It taught me a lot about abortion and its many many dangers on women who have had abortion and of course, the many other victins. You have every right to team up with your local Right to Life or another organization like that and show that teacher how wrong he/she is. I wish you luck and I will be praying for you.
[/quote]

Great cora support pro life but don’t worry about human sacrifices at halloween !!!

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

You should speak up. Perhaps talk to your parish priest (assuming he is orthodox which unfortunately not a given these days.) See if there is a local right-to-life group around you and find anyone who will support you.

Scott

Dear Kelly,

I’m assuming you do not feel comfortable having an honest talk to your teacher about it outside of class.

Does your school have a priest assigned to it, or otherwise a spiritual director? If not perhaps you should talk to your counselor about it.

You never know how far the disease has spread. Until you know who is going to support you, be careful what you say to whom unless you don’t mind becoming a public example over this. If you talk the spiritual director and/or counselor, don’t do it on the basis that you are “tattling” on the teacher. Explain to them that you feel very uncomfortable with what you are being taught and want their advice on how you should behave in the class. You do not wish to be disrespectful to your teacher, but is it OK in good conscience to “go along” with the class for the sake of a good grade and for respect for the teacher?

Or if you feel braver you can talk to the teacher outside of class and explain that you are “somewhat confused” about the lesson because it almost sounded to you that the teacher was saying abortion was an OK thing. Maybe he didn’t expect it to sound quite like that and will be happy to correct you, but if he confirms it, make no attempt or one attempt max to respond, with nothing more than “oh, thank you for clearing that up,” or, “oh, then you do not believe abortion is intrinsically evil?” If you are still at loggerheads at that point, proceed at your own risk of possible retaliation, or maybe at that time you should drop it and speak to your advisor.

Alan

I would visit www.lifesite.net or the websites for Operation Rescue, National Right to Life Coalition, American Life League, SPUC - society for protection of the unborn in the UK, Lifedynamics (on web); C-FAM (at the U.N) and other online apostolates such as these to arm yourself with facts to refute your teacher.

1. She made a vague and unsupported statement, just a thesis really, no proofs

2. If you find the proof that yes illegal abortion really was rare and that even former abortionists like Dr. Nathanson of NYC admit the numbers “back alley deaths” were fantastically inflated by those who were calling for abortion as a solution to women getting lower pay, less spots in university, or that it “oppressed them in a patriarchical society”.

These early feminists meant well but barked on one issue we should not have flinched at. They began to convince the lesser catechised, the ignorant and the non-Catholics, secularists and others that abortion was an inalienable women’s right issue - denying that young fetuses yawn, blink, smile, get nervous, burp, have fingerprints, their own DNA, their own bloodtype, hair and developing brainwaves. Fetuses in utero longer feel and express p ain, especially as they are killed.

Your teacher wants the truth. She can’t handle the truth. If she refuses to counter your truth with her lies or half-truths, ask her to take the dossier home with her for a weekend and refute all the claims of these good and holy researchers who do God’s work.

We ended slavery, whites and blacks together. All Christians can end abortion too and recent polls in Canada by a big polling firm Environics show that 68% want some restrictions on abortion. ]

“John Brown’s body layss a muldering in his grave, but the truth goes marching on…”

That song started and sustained one the bloodiest wars to settle a political issue, and later a moral one: were blacks persons.

And we won that. We also got women the vote. xians and non-xians united on that moral question.

We must win by education - “showing them that the unborn are special persons - let them live”.

You remind me of me at your age.

semper fi, pal

[quote=YMcHiCk]I have a sitiuation, and I’m not too sure what I should do about it. I go to a Catholic High School and right now I am taking Social Justice and the chapter with abortion came about. I am a very big pro life supporter. And the teacher was talking about how before Roe .vs. Wade when abortions weren’t legal how they weren’t safe, because women were going to anyone and now since they are legal its okay because they are safe. To me that was saying go have an abortion because it’s not going to hurt you and if that’s what you have to do that’s what you have to do. I know there not safe, because I’ve seen the paramedics appear at the abortion clinic that I pray out side of and heard the many stories. But I’m not sure if I should be telling some one that he’s promoting it in a Catholic school? What would you do?
[/quote]

I would speak out. If you don’t, you let these statements go unchallenged and someone in your class might actually believe your teacher’s absurd statements.

I can recommend the book Pro-Life Answers to Pro-Choice Questions by Randy Alcorn. I also recommend going to www.all.org. There is a good website on abortion statistics you could visit that includes statistics from pre- and post-Roe time periods:

realchoice.0catch.com/abortionstats.htm

Several key points to use in refuting your teacher:

1. Most women who died from illegal abortions died from infections. The mortality rate from abortion had sharply declined in the years immediately preceding Roe due to the advent of antibiotics. Therefore, it is not the legality of the procedure (methods haven’t really changed) but rather better prevention of infections that changed the mortality rate for abortions.

2. Almost all illegal abortions were performed by doctors, despite what Hollywood depicts in movies, and they were not done with coathangers. The same people performing abortions before they were legal (for example Bernard Nathanson) continued performing them after they were legal.

3. Women die, or suffer serious illness, from legal abortions. And, it is common, although not reported by the media.

Women are done a great disservice by the abortion lobby and all those who make money from abortions. Abortion might be legal, but it is neither safe nor rare in this country. Women unknowingly go to these “doctors” believing that abortion is “safe” because it is legal. It is not safe, it never was, and legality has nothing to do with it.

Dear friend

I would follow the rule of thumb on this, you approach the person concerned privately by yourself and ask them about it, if they are stubborn in this, take another person with you who is pro-life and question them again, if they still refuse your truth on this, seek the counsel of your Priest ask the Priest to talk with them and then go higher and higher until they find that they have committed an untruth

God Bles you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Before 1973, there were nowhere near a million abortions a year. Further, there was not much demand for legalization. Every State in the U.S. restricted abortion to a greater or lesser extent.

Legalization (by the Supreme Court, not the legislatures) had the effect of (a) teaching that abortion is OK, --because the Law is a teacher,–and consequently (b) increasing demand. For the most part, after legalization, abortions were done by the same abortionists who did them before legalization. They just took their practice out into the open, and it gave some the opportunity to start a new ‘medical speciality,’ so they could do only abortions. Of course, it was in their interest to increase demand as well.

[quote=YMcHiCk]To me that was saying go have an abortion because it’s not going to hurt you and if that’s what you have to do that’s what you have to do.
[/quote]

While you are probably correct on this point, you should get clarification before you do anything. It is simply wrong to act on your assumptions in such a matter. If this is truly what the teacher is teaching, then you should report it to the head of the school and to the bishop.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.