What to Make of the Carter Page FISA Applications

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-make-carter-page-fisa-applications

The documents is heavily redacted, and adds little to facts already known, but unmasks the partisan spin of the House Republicans’ notorious memo.

Another example of Devin Nunes’ standard operating procedure…

Excerpt from

I wrote on Lawfare at the time that the FBI’s disclosures on Steele “amply satisfie[d] the requirements” for FISA applications, and that the central irony of the Nunes memo was that it “tried to deceive the American people in precisely the same way that it falsely accused the FBI of deceiving the FISA Court.” The Nunes memo accused the FBI of dishonesty in failing to disclose information about Steele, but in fact the Nunes memo itself was dishonest in failing to disclose what the FBI disclosed. I said then, and I still believe, that the “Nunes memo was dishonest. And if it is allowed to stand, we risk significant collateral damage to essential elements of our democracy.”

The Republicans of hi committee complained that the disclaimer about the source of the dossier was hidden in a footnote. The footnote is a full page long.
They complained that Clinton was not identified by name. But names are not used apart from Page. Even Trump name is masked as Candidate #1.
And they neglected to note that this application passed muster with 4 different judges, all appointed by Republican presidents.

Glad the facts have out.

Yes, it is somewhat astounding to what extent the FISA application was misrepresented by Nunes et al. How does he keep a straight face?

Carter Page is a dopey one-off guy.

Really … have you ever listened to Carter Page?

You wouldn’t know he graduated from the U. S. Naval Academy at Annapolis.

Look him up; listen to him.

The more I think about the chain of events surrounding the Carter Page FISA application, the more concerned I get. In an effort to protect Trump by discrediting the Russian investigation, the House Rep.s lead by Nunes present dishonest claims to the American people and as part of that exercise make an issue of a highly sensitive F.B.I. document (the FISA application).

As a probable result, the Russians gain insight into F.B.I. procedures and perhaps other specific information. The American people get lies; the F.B.I. gets undermined; the Russians get useful info; and Trump gets cover.

I don’t know if what has gone on regarding this matter is collusion or not. I do know that what Nunes has done is not in the interest of the American people.

Here are 10 preliminary points that need to be understood in evaluating this fragmentary peek at the guts of the scandal.

Here are 10 preliminary points that need to be understood in evaluating this fragmentary peek at the guts of the scandal.

One:

You can tell that the Department of Justice wants to avoid public scrutiny by the timing of its release. Nobody seeking the public’s attention releases anything on a Saturday night. Scott Johnson of Powerline pithily sums up the maneuver:

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/07/ten_problems_with_the_release_of_the_heavily_redacted_fisa_warrants_on_carter_page.html#ixzz5M1Dfzrd4
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Why would Trump have a dopey one-off guy as his campaign’s foreign policy advisor?

It is out in the open for all to read. I am glad to see it. It completely undercuts the Republican narrative.

Something smells…

https://www.statesman.com/news/national/who-carter-page-how-connected-the-nunes-memo/OSxsdn2Wvncw9p2m1vWOQK/

excerpt:

How is he connected to the Trump campaign?

Page was named as a foreign policy adviser to Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign. He did not stay with the campaign long, only from March to September, as his ties to Russian business and political officials became known.

He was an “unpaid adviser,” according to Page and the Trump campaign.

How does he figure in the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election?

Page testified before the House Intelligence Committee on Nov. 2 without a lawyer present. According to testimony released by the committee, Page said:

He traveled to Moscow in July 2016 to give a speech, and while he was there he met with a low-level official of the Russian government. Several of Trump’s campaign officials knew he was going. Campaign manager Corey Lewandowski told Page he could go in a personal capacity, not as a campaign representative.

Jeff Sessions knew of his trip. Sessions has testified that he was not aware of it.

He told Trump campaign members after the trip that there was strong support for Trump from Russian officials.

He was asked to sign a nondisclosure agreement in March 2016.

The campaign’s national security committee met several times. The White House has said it met only once.

He said he has never spoken to or had any communication with Trump. Trump has said he doesn’t believe he has ever met Page.

He invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination when he was asked about documents he had failed to turn over to the committee.

Page was asked by the Senate Intelligence Committee to provide records of Russian contacts he has had in the past seven years.

Page testified that he was monitored by the FBI. through a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court warrant. According to The Washington Post, Page was the subject of a 2016 FISA warrant.

Why would Trump have a dopey one-off in that positions?

Because Trump had no idea who Carter Page even was.

Somebody had penciled Page’s name on a list and after no contacts between Trump and Page took place and no “advice” took place … someone removed Page’s name off the list.

Oh. Well that is an interesting qualification for a person that Trump himself named as part of his foriegn policy team.

Well, this is pretty clear:

“RYAN: Thank you… We’ve heard you’re going to be announcing your foreign policy team shortly… Any you can share with us?

“TRUMP: Well, I hadn’t thought of doing it, but if you want I can give you some of the names… Walid Phares, who you probably know, PhD, adviser to the House of Representatives caucus, and counter-terrorism expert; Carter Page, PhD; George Papadopoulos, he’s an energy and oil consultant, excellent guy; the Honorable Joe Schmitz, [former] inspector general at the Department of Defense; [retired] Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg; and I have quite a few more. But that’s a group of some of the people that we are dealing with. We have many other people in different aspects of what we do, but that’s a representative group.”

Sure it does. :roll_eyes:
Anything to add beyond a link to someone talking for you?

Could you be more specific here??

See post #3 and lawfare article linked in post #1.

Carter Page volunteered.

Nobody ever called him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.