What to pray after recieving Communion?

I was just wondering what people pray after they recieve the Holy Eucharist
Do you pray something in particular or just your own personal prayers?
and what should we ask from the Eucharist?
Usually when I am praying after the Eucharist I have so much to say and always run out of time and I don't know if I am praying as I should after recieving the Lord.

You can pray however you wish! If you have a missal they usually have prayers for after Communion in there. Also, there are very good books of prayers that contain prayers for every occasion. You can just talk to God in your own words, or say other standard prayers. Personally I pray by singing the Communion song or hymn that is happening.

Thanks for asking this question. I have always wondered! :). Another one...what to pray for before mass? Anything in particular?

For preparation before Mass or before Holy Communion, I am a fan of Byzantine prayers such as this one by St. John Chrysostom:

I believe, O Lord, and I confess that thou art truly the Christ, the Son of the living God, who didst come into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. And I believe that this is truly thine own immaculate Body, and that this is truly thine own precious Blood. Wherefore I pray thee, have mercy upon me and forgive my transgressions both voluntary and involuntary, of word and of deed, of knowledge and of ignorance; and make me worthy to partake without condemnation of thine immaculate Mysteries, unto remission of my sins and unto life everlasting. Amen. Of thy Mystic Supper, O Son of God, accept me today as a communicant; for I will not speak of thy Mystery to thine enemies, neither will I give thee a kiss as did Judas; but like the thief will I confess thee: Remember me, O Lord, in thy Kingdom. Not unto judgement nor unto condemnation be my partaking of thy Holy Mysteries, O Lord, but unto the healing of soul and body.

As far as after communion goes, nothing compares to the classic Anima Christi:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ’s side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen

haha i was just wondering this today at Mass! I’m a convert, so i never heard if there was a specific prayer for this occasion. i just try to meditate on what a great gift i am receiving.

Thank you, my God, for this extraordinary gift that you have given your Church, your very own body and blood to unite us all into your own glorified body. My God, may I and all others who partake in this Gift receive always this precious grace in a state of your friendship, so that you may always dwell in our hearts today and for all of eternity, Amen.

Before Mass: Holy Communion Chaplet using a set of 22 beads with a centerpiece and crucifix.

On the crucifix, one Act of Contrition (theoretically optional, but I always include it).
On the first bead above the crucifix, one Act of Faith.
On the second bead above the crucifix, one Act of Hope.
On the third bead above the crucifix, one Act of Charity.
On the centerpiece, one Glory Be, then I cite my intentions.
In the loop of 19 Beads, I repeat this set of four prayers: one Hail Mary, one Our Father and one Memorare, ending with the Memorare.
Again on the centerpiece, one Glory Be, then I re-cite my intentions.

Takes about eight minutes.

After receiving Communion: Act of Faith, Act of Adoration, Act of Love, Act of Thanksgiving, Act of Offering and the Ignatian Suscipe. Takes about four minutes. I rarely run out of time to finish, even if I'm one of the last to receive.

If I'm not receiving Communion for whatever reason, I omit my usual prayers after Communion and instead pray the Chaplet of the Blessed Sacrament while Communion is distributed to others.

:)

[quote="CanadianMickey, post:1, topic:294250"]
I was just wondering what people pray after they receive the Holy Eucharist
Usually when I am praying after the Eucharist I have so much to say and always run out of time and I don't know if I am praying as I should after receiving the Lord.

[/quote]

I sat next to an older lady probably in her 80's and listened to her thanksgiving prayer. I was humbled at her thanking Jesus for all in her life. She named each one. I am not sure she realized that she could be heard. I was absolutely mesmerized by her simple prayers.

[quote="Elizium23, post:4, topic:294250"]
For preparation before Mass or before Holy Communion, I am a fan of Byzantine prayers such as this one by St. John Chrysostom:

[/quote]

Being Byzantine Catholic, I, too ,say both of these prayers as well as a few others and just thank God in my own words for allowing me to receive Him.

I thank Jesus for his presence in the Eucharist, his presence in my life, and my presence in the Catholic Church. ...among other things.

It's always personal.

I usually make a request at the elevation (on behalf of other people). In line, it's usually an Act of Contrition; immediately afterwards, the Anima Christi. Upon receiving and after the Anima Christi, it's generally a prayer of thanksgiving. If I have a request for myself, it's usually of the type of recognizing a shortcoming of mine that acts as a barrier to my relationships with others who depend on me, and asking for help in overcoming that flaw, rather than the "I want this, I need that, etc." brand of petition. ;)

In seeing some of the replies, I realize I may need to pray more after communion, but ususally for me it’s the Anima Christi.

If I happen to have a missal or hymnal near me, I pray the Anima Christi and Memorare. I’m a convert as well, so they’re both prayers I’ve yet to memorize.

Really (IMHO) as long as you spend some sincere time giving thanks to Christ for the amazing gift of the Eucharist, you can’t go wrong! Besides that, feel free to pour your heart out to Christ however you see fit in the moment. :smiley:

[quote="datritle, post:5, topic:294250"]
haha i was just wondering this today at Mass! I'm a convert, so i never heard if there was a specific prayer for this occasion. i just try to meditate on what a great gift i am receiving.

[/quote]

This is perfect. For some short minutes you have Jesus within you. Concentration on the wonder of this and simply telling Him "Thank you" is wonderful. Of course, there is no problem with the more formal prayers that have been recommended, too. I tend to do both - first few minutes just focusing on Our Lord within me, and later, usually after the dismissal, reading one or other of the formal prayers of thanksgiving.

Thanks everyone, these posts have been really helpful. I guess I will try to memorize Anima Christi as this seems to be a popular one and a very good one too.
God Bless!

My prayer when I receive the Beloved is fully contemplative: I close my eyes and remain at His loving presence, trying to love Him as much as my heart allows me to. While doing so, I think of how thankful I am for all the blessings He has given me, beginning with the very Eucharist He allowed me to receive, and I think of my loved ones, of those who suffer, of the souls in purgatory…but I don’t pray or ask for anything, I just stay with Him and think of them, knowing that His love will do the rest.

I have a hard time leaving Mass right away, and I rejoice when the priest takes a few minutes before the “Let us pray”. I then remain quiet for a while with the Lord either in the Church or at the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, or at the garden near the statue of the Blessed Virgin, where in silence and peacefulness everything is Jesus, and Jesus is everything…

*"I sat down under his shadow with great delight,
his fruit was sweet to my taste.

He brought me to the banquet hall.
His banner over me is love.

His left hand is under my head.
His right hand embraces me.

I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine.*"

Canticle of Canticles

[quote="R_C, post:16, topic:294250"]
My prayer when I receive the Beloved is fully contemplative: I close my eyes and remain at His loving presence, trying to love Him as much as my heart allows me to. While doing so, I think of how thankful I am for all the blessings He has given me, beginning with the very Eucharist He allowed me to receive, and I think of my loved ones, of those who suffer, of the souls in purgatory...but I don't pray or ask for anything, I just stay with Him and think of them, knowing that His love will do the rest.

I have a hard time leaving Mass right away, and I rejoice when the priest takes a few minutes before the "Let us pray". I then remain quiet for a while with the Lord either in the Church or at the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, or at the garden near the statue of the Blessed Virgin, where in silence and peacefulness everything is Jesus, and Jesus is everything...

*"I sat down under his shadow with great delight,
his fruit was sweet to my taste.

He brought me to the banquet hall.
His banner over me is love.

His left hand is under my head.
His right hand embraces me.

I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.*"

Canticle of Canticles

[/quote]

That is beautiful. All of it.

[quote="Elizium23, post:4, topic:294250"]

[/quote]

A beautiful prayer, and I'll be memorising it! Thanks for sharing it!

[quote="CanadianMickey, post:1, topic:294250"]
I was just wondering what people pray after they recieve the Holy Eucharist
Usually when I am praying after the Eucharist I have so much to say and always run out of time and I don't know if I am praying as I should after recieving the Lord.

[/quote]

The Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Separated from Thee let me never be
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
Forever and ever
Amen

A common prayer in the UK, one that I've heard a priest recite with the people immediately after communion:

O Sacrament most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine,
All praise and all thanksgiving,
Be every moment thine.

I think it may be the lyrics to a hymn, certainly it can be sung; but I'm not sure whether the said prayer preceded the hymn, or the other way around.

All the best

Martin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.