What to Pray For?

Have you ever reached a point / time in your life where you don’t know what to pray for?
As I look around, I must say (and don’t seem to thank God enough) that I have been blessed in my life in many ways. But lately, there are so many issues going on. I don’t what to pray for first, last - whatever. I DO know I was taught we should never pray for money - but do you ever have a problem wondering what to pray for as pertains to your needs in life?

While you’re working it out, I suggest heading over to the Prayer Intentions forum and pray for others. Some of those good people are experiencing trials that will break your heart. They can really, really use your prayers.

Just wanted to comment on the part “not praying for money”. There is nothing wrong to pray for money so that we can take care of ourselves or family. We do ask to have a job or some sort of finanical support, don’t we? But being greedy of having lots of money or praying to be rich … is not really what we should do.

My life may be in decent shape but with all the things that are messed up in the world I never am at a loss for something to pray for.

First on my list is for family and friends who have passed away, second is for family and friends who may have fallen away or never received the grace to believe.

Then there is always health and safety for folks I know, for our troops and country, wisdom for our leaders. We live in such an imperfect world that where ever there are differences between Heaven and earth, that is something to pray for.

After that there may be more frivolous things, like having my favorite sports team win a championship or two, improving my bowling or golf game, learning how to play a musical instrument well, etc, etc.

IF you really don’t have something to pray for, you can pray for my wish list. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just read a great quote on prayer: “Seek God’s face, not His hand.” There’s also the eleventh step from AA: “Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, praying only for the knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.” When I feel lost in prayer, I pray to the Holy Spirit, who knows what I need better than I, to carry my needs to Heaven. You may want to try a technique like Lectio Divina, which is praying the Scriptures. You don’t need to pray “for” anything, necessarily, just pray.

Prayer-Conversation with your Heavenly Father

1. James 1 “any one lacks wisdom let them ask GOD who gives wisdom to all who ask without finding fault. But let them come in faith.”
  2. Philippians 4:6 “Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving ***let your request ***be made known unto GOD.”
  3. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 “Pray without ceasing”
  4. Hebrews 4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in our time of need.”
  5. [FONT=“Times New Roman”]Romans 8:26 “In the same way the Holy Spirit helps us in our weekness. We know not what we are to pray for, but the Holy Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans words cannot express.”
    [/FONT]

The Holy Spirit knows what we need, so lean on Him get close to the Lord and truly truly know Him. He will guide you. Check out some Charismatic Catholic sites. Mother Angelica (EWTN) has alot of awesome things about the Holy Spirit.

1. Mark 11 Read all “when you pray believe you have recieved it” Pray with Faith our God is a big God that loves you so much. Pray His will-this will take some time (you and Him alone alot) Check out Chrismatic Catholic and friends group post your prayer request and many will pray for you. I’m going to pray for you right now. God Bless

Some would say to pray that God’s will be done. I would say that regardless whether this is prayed for or not, I am quite sure His will will in fact come to pass. So, ultimately, all that is left is to pray for is that God grants you the peace, patience, and understanding to accept His will and that He helps you to see the joy that it brings. :wink:

James 4:2 “You do not have because you don’t ask God, and when you ask, you do not recieve, because you ask with wrong motives.”

We don’t recieve for two reasons.

1. We didn’t ask God
  2. We ask with wrong motives or out of His will
    Mother Angelica on EWTN has some awesome teachings on the Will of God and prayer.
    God Bless.

There have been times when I think, “What is there to pray for?”

And then I walk down the street and see all those sad, lonely faces and I think, “Lord, I pray for them.”

Well, one can always pray for world peace or pray for the people in the Prayer Intentions forum. I like to go to the Prayer Intentions forum and pray for multiple people sometimes. But then again, that’s why I am a Catholic Answers Forum Prayer Warrior. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.