What to say to person who is dying

A person just found out he has terminal cancer and only has a couple weeks to live. He is not a Christian and has no church background that I know of. He says he want to go to heaven but doesn't know what to do about that.

What do you do? What do you say to him?

As a former Protestant we would explain the Gospel to him and tell him that if he realizes he is a sinner, repents of his sins, believes that Jesus died on the cross for his sins and asks Jesus to come into his heart he will be saved and go to heaven.

Now that I am converting to Catholicism I am at a loss as to what to say to someone on their deathbed in this type of situation.

You can say the exact same thing. However, you might add the suggestion that you bring a priest to talk to him. (And hopefully Baptize him if he isn't already.)
You could also offer to pray with him. Perhaps the chapelet of Divine Mercy?

Tell him to talk to the local priest. In the event that he's actually dying (as in he'll be dead within a few hours) anyone (including you) can baptize him (assuming that he hasn't already been baptized).

Christ said very clearly in Mark 16:16 that “He who believes and is baptized, will be saved” Christ is the door to heaven IF we keep His commands. If that person is receptive, then they should reasonably submit to baptism so as to secure their entry into the Body of Christ.

Ideally he'd be baptized. That may suffice on deathbed. You should really speak to a Catholic priest, they know what to do in such situations.

May God bless you for your concern.

Call the priest ASAP and have him come over. If it ever gets too late and your friend wants to be baptized (ask him now), you can do it.

Put a Miraculous Medal on him too and bless his room with holy water.

Hospice nurses are usually aware of their patients seeing deceased realtives or becoming aware that they will be leaving soon. If he wants to talk about things, listen.

Some people are chosen to be at births, others at death.

Explain Christ and Salvation to him and ask if he is willing to become baptized. You might want to check with your priest first making him aware of the situation and asking if he would be available on short notice.

If he is open to being baptized it is pretty important to have the sacrament ASAP as people sometimes change their mind or the cancer begins to effect their thinking.

Good job by you.

Hi Milby, As most have suggested 1.Priest, 2.Baptism, 3.Confession, 4.Mass, 5. Our Lady Mary Mother of Jesus' Holy Rosary (your friend will not need to fast being ill; however loads of water during the process recommended. Perhaps suggest to your friend while praying to Our Lady Mary for her to speak to your friend during the Rosary to reassure him and guide him on his homeward journey now xxxx-oooo

If I may, I would recommend you, together with all the other advices, be supportive in a very human way. Maybe even a spiritual way. Peace, joy and love. I guess this is what everyone of us needs, especially during hard times and trials. Pray to the Holy Spirit to grant you these and lead you in everything that is needed to be done from your side.

Also... and this is especially very hard... what if you would try to pray for him to be healed? I know that the situation is very critical, but our Father is greater than any illness and he is God of life, not of dead. Perhaps you could ask him, if you can pray for him and lay hand on his arm and just pray to your and his Father for help and healing (both mental and physical). Of course, it would be for the best if he would be baptized before this. If you want to ask anything personally, sedn me a PM.

God bless you both. +

Thanks for the advice everyone. He passed away a couple days ago.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, may perpetual light shine upon him, and may he rest in peace.

=milby;10103404]A person just found out he has terminal cancer and only has a couple weeks to live. He is not a Christian and has no church background that I know of. He says he want to go to heaven but doesn’t know what to do about that.

What do you do? What do you say to him?

As a former Protestant we would explain the Gospel to him and tell him that if he realizes he is a sinner, repents of his sins, believes that Jesus died on the cross for his sins and asks Jesus to come into his heart he will be saved and go to heaven.

Now that I am converting to Catholicism I am at a loss as to what to say to someone on their deathbed in this type of situation.

**IMMEDIATELY ask for permission to have a Catholic Priest speak to him.:**thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.