What to tell a Protestant friend agonizing over Tithing

My good friend is Protestant and has been obsessing over a recent sermon given on tithing. From what I understand he basically said you must give 10% of your gross income to the church (specifically that church). Other things you give outside of that are considered extra - donations to other organizations, time, talents etc.

Basically she feels guilty for not giving a full 10% to her church and it is weighing heavy on her. They struggle to make ends meet as it is. I don’t know what scriptures he used to back up his sermon but she respects him because he has a PhD in theology. sigh

At my parish and most I have attended we are asked to give in accordance with the blessings God has given us. Our contributions don’t have to be to the Church and don’t necessarily have to be monetary.

Does anyone have any guidance as to what I can say to her? She will respond best to scripture vs. just telling her the Catholic view.

Probably she will end up in heaven before a lot of us! It sounds like she is really trying to do God’s will. My understanding is that we (Catholics) have to give back until it hurts (a true sacrifice). She is doing that. God bless her.

I personally think that catholics should give 10% of their gross pay. Most of the poor of our times in this country are much richer than the really wealthy people at the time of Jesus. Where are our priorities?

We should take a look at our checkbook and then we will know where our priorities are.

Well if the minister is teaching wrongly that people are under the Old Testament laws, then I would give the person this verse and tell them to ask the minister if he knows a wine that goes good with beef or lamb.

Deu 14:26 ESV
(26) and spend the money for whatever you desire–oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.

The Jews actually had three tithes.

One to support the tribe of Levi who had no land.

One for feasting and such.

One every third year to support the poor.

Tithes were paid from the increase of the land and from the spoils of war. Wages were not tithed. That is not to say a person could not make an offering from his wages, but that was not a tithe.

If the minister insists that he and the church building are basically the replacement for the Levi and the temple. Then give him one tenth of the increase of your fields and gardens and herds. I’m not sure what he’s going to do with all those cats and dogs but hey, he if he insists, so be it.

JJ

Google the three words *tithing not biblical *and you will find all you need to refute this. It is terrible that many preachers try to guilt their congregations into tithing.

You can try this verse. From the KJV:

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Georgia Peach

I am a Protestant Georgia Cracker who has written a PHD thesis opposing tithing and it is an uphill fight. A lot of Cathollic groups and priests are also beginning to push mandatory tithing but the Church does not officially promote it in this modern era.

Ask your friend to go to my web site and read the 19 point essay on the first page. It is a summary of my 288 page book which is FREE on pdf files and I also have a 2 hour DVD downloadable video for FREE.

New Testament giving should be sacrificial, generous, cheerful, out fo love and from the heart. While it is true that most should give more than 10% there is no percentage and many are giving sacrificially when they give less than 10%. There is no set percentage for the Church.

Russell Earl Kelly, www.shouldthechurchteachtithing.com

do Roman Catholics have tithes?

Yeth we do. We wear tithes when we wear thutes.

Ta da boom. :smiley:

Catholics can tithe, but to my knowledge it’s not mandatory.

then point her to NT scriptures where Christ and the apostles say the OT covenant has been replaced with the new covenant in Christ, and where the OT law has been replaced with Christ’s law, including OP description of tithing, what to eat, what to wear, etc. Remind her that works of the old law do not save, and give her those scriptures, and refer her to the new law (Matthew 25, the judgement of nations) and to the Beatitudes for guidance on the proper attitude toward material wealth and possessions.

Through those last 2 especially, and the passage where Christ commands us to take up our crosses to follow him, that the OT definition of tithing is too narrow and restrictive, and that we are to regard all we have, ourselves, our possessions, even our means of earning those possessions, belongs to God, not to ourselves, and that we are merely stewards of those gifts. Once pointed on a spirituality of stewardship, the other questions like how much to give to others, how to best support and care for one’s family, approach to lending and debt, etc. become much clearer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.