What to wear wehn visting Vatican city?

Where can i read more about the dress code for entering Vatican? I know it should be respectful and covering the knees and shoulders. But can we wear jeans? What about tenis shoes for men?

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:228052"]
Where can i read more about the dress code for entering Vatican? I know it should be respectful and covering the knees and shoulders. But can we wear jeans? What about tenis shoes for men?

[/quote]

I was there back in 1984 and when I went on the tour, I was dressed in jeans and tennis shoes. When I went to the Christmas mass later during the trip, I of course wore more appropriate attire.

I guess the dress code would match what is appropriate for church. For me I would not wear revealing clothing, sports wear, jeans or trainers. Have a great trip :slight_smile:

Well sometimes we go in jeans. And if the jeans are black they even look like normal trousers. Sometimes i go to church directly from work and so i don’t have time to change clothes. And most of our clothes are jeans and sporty, both my husband and i don’t have a strict dress code at work. I never dress reveiling and with a nice shirt it even looks a little elegant. Our priest never reporched us anything. And he is ussually telling you if he doesn’t like something.

For me will not be a problem to put some elegant trousers and shoes but my husband doesn’t even have one. He has only jeans :slight_smile: and no pair of elegant shoes. :slight_smile: And we will go on a trip to whole Rome, I am thinking also about comfortable. That’s why i wanted to know what is considered appropriate.

As long as you are covered up (shoulders, chest and knees - both for men and women) you'll be fine. If you are going sightseeing trainers are a good choice. The Vatican museums are big and you can easily spend a whole day there. But I would wear something less casual for Mass if possible.

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:228052"]

[/quote]

Here is a link to information for the Vatican museums
mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Consigli.html

The English pages for the Basilicas don't seem to work (at least I can't get them to work) but here's the Italian
vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_pietro/index_it.htm

Dress code for the actual churches is strict. For the museums, it is less so, yet still more strict than we are accustomed to in the US.

From what I recall, covering the knees and shoulders is a must. I don't think they care about what kind of shoes one wears.

Access to Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, Vatican Gardens and Saint Peter's Basilica is permitted only to visitors dressed appropriately.

That's from the museum pages

Here's the web translation of the Italian, from the St. Peters page:
Access to the Vatican Basilica is restricted to persons with a decent clothing appropriate to the shrine.

L’accesso alla Basilica Papale Vaticana è consentito alle persone con un abbigliamento decoroso consono al luogo sacro.

Super links, thank you they are usseful information.

However they say dressed appropriately but they don’t describe what it means. I am interested also what stris dress code in the churches mean since ofcourse i want to see at least the Sistine Chapel.

[quote="FrDavid96, post:6, topic:228052"]
From what I recall, covering the knees and shoulders is a must.

[/quote]

That's what I recall as well, and it applies to males and females alike. No "muscle shirts" etc. I haven't been in Rome in summer for 35+ years, but I think they might permit longer style shorts (the ones that are reminiscent of lederhosen).

[quote="FrDavid96, post:6, topic:228052"]
I don't think they care about what kind of shoes one wears.

[/quote]

No, as long as one sports some sort of footwear. I don't think they allow people to go barefooted.

[quote="cristyd, post:7, topic:228052"]
However they say dressed appropriately but they don't describe what it means. I am interested also what stris dress code in the churches mean since ofcourse i want to see at least the Sistine Chapel.

[/quote]

Normal street clothes will do the trick. Jeans are fine, as long as they're clean and not ragged. So are tee-shirts, but I'd suggest keeping the tee-shirts full and plain. (For example, there would be a hassle if someone tried to enter wearing a skin-tight tee or one with, let's call it, a "suggestive" design or rude text. ) Sneakers are fine too, and for touring they're probably the best bet anyway.

Right. They don’t describe what that means. :shrug:
Probably because they get visitors from all over the world, and they can’t very well describe every form of dress and say “yes or no.”

As others have already said, wear long pants or a long skirt (below the knees). No shorts.
Same with shirts—wear something with at least short-sleeves.

You will probably be admitted in a t-shirt, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Even if the Swiss Guards don’t stop you, you’re still entering one of the most important churches in history, and should dress appropriately. T-shirts with logos or advertisements, or whatever else, would most likely not be appropriate, even if they would be “within the rules.”

Pack something comfortable, but still still above just everyday casual, and you’ll be just fine, as long as you’re covering the knees and shoulders.

I was just there in November. Took a tour of the Sistine Chapel and even through St. Peters. Attended the general Papal Audience.
Men and women were mostly dressed in slacks, pants, and even well kept jeans. No low cut tops on the ladies, and didn’t see any t-shirts. There were some ladies in dresses. They were below the knees and no bare arms or low cut fronts.
No shorts or bermuda shorts anywhere. All types of shoes, and sandals.

[quote="cristyd, post:7, topic:228052"]
Super links, thank you they are usseful information.

However they say dressed appropriately but they don't describe what it means. I am interested also what stris dress code in the churches mean since ofcourse i want to see at least the Sistine Chapel.

[/quote]

Shoulders and knees covered. So, no shorts and no tank tops for men or women. If you are going in the summer and want to wear shorts, tanks, etc, bring a shirt to put over your tank and if you wear shorts, bring a sarong type skirt to wrap around you for churhes, or those wind pants that zip on and off at the knee.

Yes you can wear jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes, etc. Full tourist regalia, Just cover shoulders and knees.

I would have to agree, after all many religious visit wearing only sandals.

Hey as our trip is getting closer we read millions of internet pages with information and honestly we have some confusions so i would like a little help for the guys that were already there if it is possible.
We will be there on a Wednesday when it is also a Papal Audience. However since we have only one day i would like to know if there is enough time for Audience and visiting the Vatican museums, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s basilica and square in the same day. We would like very much to see the Holy Father but we also want to visit the Vatican.

There is also the problem with the tickets. Our plane gets there at 15:30 on Tuesday. If i book tickets for the Papal Audience i have to pick them up Tuesday evening
until 18:30 and i don’t know if we will make it. From Airport to hotel, and then to tickets. I’m thinking that if we book tickets and don’t make it then two other people could have went in our place.

What does the Audience mean? What happens and how long does it last?

The St. Peter Basilica is free or is there a fee?

Prague if you could give me more info about how your visit went and what did you visit first or any advice you could give me I would be grateful.

Jeans, tennis shoes, etc. are fine. If you are going into St. Peter's, wear the same kind of clothing you would wear to Mass at home.

[quote="cristyd, post:14, topic:228052"]
Hey as our trip is getting closer we read millions of internet pages with information and honestly we have some confusions so i would like a little help for the guys that were already there if it is possible.
We will be there on a Wednesday when it is also a Papal Audience. However since we have only one day i would like to know if there is enough time for Audience and visiting the Vatican museums, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's basilica and square in the same day. We would like very much to see the Holy Father but we also want to visit the Vatican.

There is also the problem with the tickets. Our plane gets there at 15:30 on Tuesday. If i book tickets for the Papal Audience i have to pick them up Tuesday evening
until 18:30 and i don't know if we will make it. From Airport to hotel, and then to tickets. I'm thinking that if we book tickets and don't make it then two other people could have went in our place.

What does the Audience mean? What happens and how long does it last?

The St. Peter Basilica is free or is there a fee?

Prague if you could give me more info about how your visit went and what did you visit first or any advice you could give me I would be grateful.

[/quote]

I have only been to an outdoor audience which is held outdoors usually from April to October if the weather is warm enough. For the outdoor audience you only need tickets if you want a seat. Otherwise the audience is in the audience hall. I would say you need to be there at least an hour before hand maybe even earlier to get a good seat. At the outdoor audience we had tickets but got there about 3 hours before hand. Also at the indoor venue you have to go through checkpoints and search (like at the airports). I remember the audience itself is probably about an hour. Then it takes awhile to clear out. So count on a good 3 or 4 hours devoted to the audience including getting in and out. Unless you are outside without tickets then you can come and go as you please.

You will have time to see the basilica but you might be rushed through the Vatican museums. We only had time to see the Sistine Chapel but had to go thought half the museum to get there so we had to sort of run through to get there before the audience. There is no fee for the basilica but you have to go through check points which could delay you, especially if you go right after the audience. The museum has a fee and can have a long line to get in.

Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.