What types of vocations are there?

I know there's the call to be married, the call to become a priest/religious... is there such a thing as a call to be single, celibate, but not a priest/religious, for the entirety of one's life?

I know a woman can become a consecrated virgin but I don't about men.

Code of Canon Law

Can. 603 §1. In addition to institutes of consecrated life, the Church recognizes the eremitic or anchoritic life by which the Christian faithful devote their life to the praise of God and the salvation of the world through a stricter withdrawal from the world, the silence of solitude, and assiduous prayer and penance.

§2. A hermit is recognized by law as one dedicated to God in consecrated life if he or she publicly professes in the hands of the diocesan bishop the three evangelical counsels, confirmed by vow or other sacred bond, and observes a proper program of living under his direction.

Can. 604 §1. Similar to these forms of consecrated life is the order of virgins who, expressing the holy resolution of following Christ more closely, are consecrated to God by the diocesan bishop according to the approved liturgical rite, are mystically betrothed to Christ, the Son of God, and are dedicated to the service of the Church.

§2. In order to observe their own resolution more faithfully and to perform by mutual assistance service to the Church in harmony with their proper state, virgins can be associated together.

Whether there is a vocation to simple single life (distinct from things like consecrated virginity) is controversial in the Catholic Church right now.

The way I see it is that

1. All people begin life as singles
  2. Some people have no choice but to remain single until death
  3. All people are called to holiness
  4. Therefore, all people are called to holiness within single life, some for a time before moving on to another state of life and others for their entire lives.

Whether you consider single life a vocation itself or merely the context of another vocation, it is a legitimate state of life in the context of which many are called to faithful discipleship.

[quote="2JesusThruMary, post:1, topic:249289"]
I know there's the call to be married, the call to become a priest/religious... is there such a thing as a call to be single, celibate, but not a priest/religious, for the entirety of one's life?

[/quote]

Who am I to answer that question?

When Jesus was on Earth, He called directly: "Come with me!" It was easy to be sure that He called.

Lucia, one of the children who saw Our Lady in Fatima, said in her memories that when she saw Our Lady in the Apparitions, it was easier to know what She said. Afterwards, in prayer, she said it was more difficult to understand God's wishes.

So, I would say that I know at least 4 women who are single by choice. One was a girlfriend of mine who left to dedicate herself to God because of ..... something I said. The story goes like that. She was handicapped but I liked her very much. So, I asked her to be my girlfriend. She said lets try but she was in doubt whether she would be called by God to remain single. I said that what she wanted was what God wanted from her. And then she replied that what she wanted as to remaining single so she was leaving me. No matter my insistence, she would not bulge from her decision, that was caused by my advice ! Shocking !! :D But I hope she is happy for I am happy with my family too. :) And I have a sign that tell me surely that my wife marrying me was a call of God (But that is our secret.:)). We were not made to each for we are totally different personalities and we are married for 25 years.

So, what you decide and what you want, is what God wants from you. My humble opinion.:thumbsup:

Yes, there is a vocation to the “single” life, without being a member of a religious order or community.

I have a friend who spent some time discerning if that was her call before finally entering a community. It is a very difficult vocation, partly because other people - even good Catholics - don’t see it as a vocation. They think it is a state that you are in until you either marry or join a community, not a deliberate choice made for God.

You can make private vows of chastity, with permission of course. If you feel that this is your vocation, perhaps you could look at the possibility of becoming an oblate/ associate or third order/ secular member of a monastic community nearby. This would give you some support and spiritual formation. I know many monastic communities accept both men and women for these, so it wouldn’t matter if, say, it was a community of men and you’re a woman.

I hope this is helpful. I’ll pray that you find the path God wants you to take.

1. Religious Life
  2. Priesthood
  3. Married Life
  4. Single Life/Consecrated Life

[/quote]

, single vocation;; yes, a single vocations does
perpetuate and is a call to be single and celibate.

[/quote]

I dig your screen name

1. Deaconate (for men).
  2. Secular Orders (Franciscans/Dominicans)/Lay Fraternities.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.