What verse says what priesthood comes after the Levite priests?

I thought there was a verse that said a new priesthood order was to come after the Levites. What was it?

Maybe this is what you were looking for?

Hebrews 7:11-12
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.

Hebrews 7:24
but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.

That may be it. Hmm, I’m curious how order of Melchizedek relates to the Catholic priesthood?

Maybe a background story would be helpful. I was discussing the Catholic priesthood with a relative. He says “we’re all priests,” but I said that verse is related to the old testament where the same thing is said, but they had Levite priests still as well. But he said that’s not what we have now because Christ is the high priest. Although Christ is the high priest, I said Paul outlined the offices of bishop, presbyter, and deacon, so there is a new lineage starting of the Christian church. So I’m wondering if there’s verses that prophecy this new Catholic priesthood lineage so I can share it to him. I thought I came across a few before, and these are somewhat helpful. I’m not sure what the order of Melchizedek is though, and if that relates to the church.

He did say Melchizedek has no genealogy background, so one explanation was he was Christ in disguise. But that’s besides the point. Interesting though. Sounds “out” there.

The following verses from Isaiah foretell a new priesthood.Isaiah 66:18 "For I know their works and their thoughts, and** I am coming to gather all nations and tongues;** and they shall come and shall see my glory, 66:19 and I will set a sign among them. And from them I will send survivors to the nations, to Tarshish, Put, and Lud, who draw the bow, to Tubal and Javan, to the coastlands afar off, that have not heard my fame or seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the nations. 66:20 And they shall bring all your brethren from all the nations as an offering to the LORD, upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon dromedaries, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, says the LORD, just as the Israelites bring their cereal offering in a clean vessel to the house of the LORD. 66:21 And some of them also I will take for priests and for Levites, says the LORD. 66:22 "For as the new heavens and the new earth ...
See the Haydock commentary on these verses. haydock1859.tripod.com/id1286.html

Thanks, this is very helpful. So Christ was referring to a new priesthood in the Catholic Church with him as high priest, assuming this is right in context. I'll share this verse.

I would recommend this little bit.
catholic.com/magazine/articles/the-priesthood-is-both-ministerial-and-universal

At least the first third of it applies pretty well to the arguments, here.
One interesting thing he points out is that in Ex 19:6, God tells Moses of the Israelites that he is setting aside this people, and they will become for him a royal priesthood. Yet a few verses later, they're talking about a distinct group of people called priests. This is one way to draw a distinction between the universal and ministerial priesthood.

=philv;11536692]That may be it. Hmm, I'm curious how order of Melchizedek relates to the Catholic priesthood?

Maybe a background story would be helpful. I was discussing the Catholic priesthood with a relative. He says "we're all priests," but I said that verse is related to the old testament where the same thing is said, but they had Levite priests still as well. But he said that's not what we have now because Christ is the high priest. Although Christ is the high priest, I said Paul outlined the offices of bishop, presbyter, and deacon, so there is a new lineage starting of the Christian church. So I'm wondering if there's verses that prophecy this new Catholic priesthood lineage so I can share it to him. I thought I came across a few before, and these are somewhat helpful. I'm not sure what the order of Melchizedek is though, and if that relates to the church.

He did say Melchizedek has no genealogy background, so one explanation was he was Christ in disguise. But that's besides the point. Interesting though. Sounds "out" there.

He was High-Priest and a KING

Hebrews 4:14
Having therefore a great high priest that hath passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God: let us hold fast our confession

Heb. 5:6-10 "As he saith also in another place: Thou art a priest for ever, according to the order of Melchisedech. Who in the days of his flesh, with a strong cry and tears, offering up prayers and supplications to him that was able to save him from death, was heard for his reverence. And whereas indeed he was the Son of God, he learned obedience by the things which he suffered: And being consummated, he became, to all that obey him, the cause of eternal salvation. Called by God a high priest according to the order of Melchisedech

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.