What version to believe? Proverbs 21:24

There is “The proud and the arrogant is called ignorant, who in anger worketh pride.” in Douay Rheims. There is “Proud and haughty scorner is his name, who dealeth in proud wrath” in KJV. There is “The proud and arrogant person–“Mocker” is his name-- behaves with insolent fury” in NIV. And many more. They used “ignorant”, “scorner” and “mocker”, they are rather different.

From the looks of the Strong’s on each term from the Hebrew Interlinear:

H2086 - arrogant, proud, presumptious, impious
H3093 - ostentatious, proud, arrogant, haughty
H3887 - scorn, make mouths at, boast, talk arrogantly, mock, deride, act as a scorner
H5678 - outpouring of fury, excess wrath, arrogance, overflowing with anger
H2087 - pride, insolence, presumptuousness, arrogance, haughtiness

Interlinear - “arrogant one, ostentatious one, one mocking name of Him, one doing in rage of arrogance”

Why they changed "name of Him’ to “scorner is his name”, I don’t know. Makes more sense in that verse to picture someone on a tear cursing God.

So many items on the menu to pick from that I guess it was personal whim as to which they chose, eh?

I don’t usually use Bibles other than the KJV and the YLT in the Interlinear Hebrew/Greek so this was interesting to investigate. I’ll likely be checking Strong’s Numbers a lot more often.

And I would argue they are rather similar.

The exact, precise translation is not as important as the understanding of the intended lesson, and our application of that lesson in our daily life!

I’ll just point out the focus; who the proud and arrogant is in the verse? It’s the “ignorant” in DR, it’s the “scorner” on the KJV and the “mocker” in NIV.

First, FORGET THE KJV!
Second, I would best recommend the New American Bible:Arrogant is the name for the man of overbearing pride who acts with scornful effrontery.
-Proverbs 21:24
[RIGHT]Don’t confuse with the " BibleStandard."[/RIGHT]

Though the Douay-Rheims Bible seems to be an accurate translation of the Latin Vulgate at this point, which has inductus (ignorant/unlearned), they seem to be in the minority. More modern Catholic translations, such as the RSV-Catholic Edition, have “scoffer.” The Nova Vulgata, at the Vatican.va website, has derisor (scoffer/cynic).

Nothing about ignorance in the Hebrew text.

indoctus, not inductus, right?

Anyway, the difference between the two would seem to be that one is taken from the Hebrew and the other from the Septuagint, no?

Yes, inductus was my typo; it should be indoctus.

Anyway, the difference between the two would seem to be that one is taken from the Hebrew and the other from the Septuagint, no?

I don’t think so. It is my understanding, the Septuagint has “pestilent,” which seems much closer to “scoffer” of the Hebrew than “ignorant” of the Latin Vulgate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.