What vestment is this?

What is the name of the outermost vestment that -]Msgr/-] Archbishop Ganswein (I’m assuming it’s him) is wearing? I’ve never seen it before anywhere and there were a number of clergy wearing it during the swearing in at the beginning of the Conclave …

[quote="DexUK, post:1, topic:318254"]
What is the name of the outermost vestment that Msgr Ganswein (I'm assuming it's him) is wearing? I've never seen it before anywhere and there were a number of clergy wearing it during the swearing in at the beginning of the Conclave ....

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66351000/jpg/_66351180_66351179.jpg

[/quote]

i don't know if thats him,if it is ,its Archbishop Ganswein.

I beg his Grace's pardon!

It’s called the Mantelletta. It’s the choir dress of a prelate who is not within his jurisdiction (e.g. a bishop outside of his own diocese).

The man is definitely not Archbishop Ganswein, who does not wear the mantelletta; he is entitled to the episcopal mozzetta, being an archbishop and all. The man is Mons. Guido Marini, Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations. Mozzettas are short and cover the arms, while mantellettas, worn in the above picture, are long and have slits for the arms to pass through.

No longer.

The mantelletta is the outer cape part of the choir dress of apostolic protonotaries de numero, all of whom work in the Holy See, as well as–I think–a few other monsignors working in the Holy See.

I was not aware that the Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations was entitled to wear the mantelletta. Perhaps he is an AP de numero, but I thought they were just notaries and clerkish types…

[quote="IesumPerMariam, post:4, topic:318254"]
It's called the Mantelletta. It's the choir dress of a prelate who is not within his jurisdiction (e.g. a bishop outside of his own diocese).

[/quote]

Thank you! :)

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:5, topic:318254"]
The man is Mons. Guido Marini, Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations.

[/quote]

Ganswein, Guido... I knew it was a name beginning with G and I did get the rank right after all!

All these names and faces to remember - I'm hopeless at that sort of thing! ;)

No longer.

The mantelletta is the outer cape part of the choir dress of apostolic protonotaries de numero, all of whom work in the Holy See, as well as--I think--a few other monsignors working in the Holy See.

I was not aware that the Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations was entitled to wear the mantelletta. Perhaps he is an AP de numero, but I thought they were just notaries and clerkish types...

[/quote]

Hmm. Didn't realize that had been changed. Thanks for the info, YTC.

I kind of liked the whole mozzetta = within jurisdiction vs. mantelletta = not within jurisdiction distinction, but I don't make the rules.

The man is definitely not Archbishop Ganswein, who does not wear the mantelletta; he is entitled to the episcopal mozzetta, being an archbishop and all. The man is Mons. Guido Marini, Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations. Mozzettas are short and cover the arms, while mantellettas, worn in the above picture, are long and have slits for the arms to pass through.

No longer.

The mantelletta is the outer cape part of the choir dress of apostolic protonotaries de numero, all of whom work in the Holy See, as well as--I think--a few other monsignors working in the Holy See.

I was not aware that the Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations was entitled to wear the mantelletta. Perhaps he is an AP de numero, but I thought they were just notaries and clerkish types...

[/quote]

vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/documents/ns_liturgy_20090924_profile_en.html

"Sede Vacante: the Papal Masters of Ceremonies, as established by the Apostolic Constitution issued by Pope Paul VI Romano Pontifici eligendo dated 1 October 1975, are on duty during the Congregations of Cardinals and they enter the Conclave at which they have specific tasks. By virtue of their office they are notaries: therefore is it their duty, to every juridical effect, to draft official documents of the function which they attend as part of their office, the acts of the Conclave and the actual act of the election of the Supreme Pontiff."

So maybe it is permitted specifically to the office.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.