What was God describing here?

“Look now at the behemoth, which I made along with you; He eats grass like an ox. See now, his strength is in his hips, and his power is in his stomach muscles. He moves his tail like a cedar,” (Job 40:15-18).

I believe it goes on to describe its bones somewhere as well, but not sure of the verse.

Does anyone know what this creature was? I can only assume it is something BIG, that is not carnivorous.

However the verses below clearly show a creature that is a carnivore and is quite big, the firey mouth and nostrils strike me as odd though. This must have been one really strange animal!!!

“No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up.”
“Who can open the doors of his face, with his terrible teeth all around?”
“His rows of scales are his pride, shut up tightly as with a seal; one is so near another that no air can come between them; they are joined one to another, they stick together and cannot be parted.”
“His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. Out of his mouth go burning lights; sparks of fire shoot out. Smoke goes out of his nostrils, as from a boiling pot and burning rushes. His breath kindles coals, and a flame goes out of his mouth.”
“Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail; nor does spear, dart, or javelin. He regards iron as straw, and bronze as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee; slingstones become like stubble to him. Darts are regarded as straw; he laughs at the threat of javelins.”
“On earth there is nothing like him, which is made without fear.”
Leviathan “played” in the “great and wide sea” (a paraphrase of Psalm 104 verses 25 and 26—get the exact sense by reading them yourself).
Leviathan is a “reptile [a] that is in the sea.” (Isaiah 27:1)

Here’s an in depth commentary on the “behemoth”.

bibleinsong.com/Song_Pages/Job/Job40/Job40.htm

I don’t think we will ever know. There is possibly exaggeration and epic style writing here too. The article quoted above gives a great rundown.

I tend to think it is a hippo or elephant or rhino, or possibly a more modern extinct animal like a mastodon.

That said it could be a dinosaur, but I don’t think it coincides with what we know about dinosaurs to well (archeological timeline doesn’t add up) at least with what we have discovered up to now.

This commentary is very literalist. It is not Catholic.

-Tim-

At first I though elephant, hippo, or rhino, but none of these have tails that could sway like a cedar, really the only things it could be is some type of dinosaur or a type of creature that once did exist that we do not know about.

I dont think its that far of a stretch to think it could be a dinosaur though, We do know for a fact they existed, and this would only blur the lines on when they existed, plus, at that time, the word ‘dinosaur’ was not yet a word, so they spoke to what they saw…IMO anyway.

However the portion describing leviathan, a dinosaur, from what we know, does not fit this description, the closest thing I could think of would be a literal dragon. I cant think of any other animal that can not be killed by sword, spear, arrow, etc. Even dinosaurs could be killed in these ways…??

I think it was GOD trying to define the aspect of questioning GOD and his will. “Who are we to claim that which GOD claims?” Is our strength as his is? Do we have the wisdom that he possesses?

He is using a metaphor that we can compare our self to his majesty. Behemoth; meaning that we might see ourselves as grand and epic when we are not. It is our pride and the enemy within that produces this.

**Romans 9:10-20

New International Version (NIV)**

10 Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac. 11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”[a] 13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”*

14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”[c]

16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”[d] 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[e]**

“Claim not that we are powerful and all understanding, and claim not that we are more than we ought not think we are, only claim we are nothing as humble servants and children, and give praise unto GOD and his son lord JESUS CHRIST.”

Praise be to GOD and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.