What was happening at my church today?

Hi. I started going to Mass recently. I drove up to the church, and for some reason a ton of people were standing outside and there was a tree there. I was nervous and I was going alone, so I just left. What was going on?

They were about to process in, probably with palm branches in hand, per the Gospel for today. :slight_smile:

[quote="Haldren21, post:1, topic:319988"]
Hi. I started going to Mass recently. I drove up to the church, and for some reason a ton of people were standing outside and there was a tree there. I was nervous and I was going alone, so I just left. What was going on?

[/quote]

Today is Palm Sunday which celebrates Christ's entrance in Jerusalem. The Mass today begins with the blessing of the palms and a procession into the church.

C'ant help with the tree,but the people were probably assembling to take part in the procession of palms,it being Palm Sunday

I think Palm Sunday celebrations are particularly beautiful, regardless of the denomination. If you want to see what you missed, do a search on Youtube for 'Palm Sunday celebrations'. I found today's mass at the Vatican was at the top of the list.

I encourage you to go next time and celebrate!

They probably have an evening Mass. Don't miss your Sunday obligation :)

[quote="Windmill, post:6, topic:319988"]
They probably have an evening Mass. Don't miss your Sunday obligation :)

[/quote]

I'm not sure the OP is Catholic yet, they said they just started going to mass recently.

Plus Sunday evening masses are the exception in many areas of the country, or perhaps even the world. My area parishes, the latest Sunday Mass is 12:30pm. We would have to drive an hour if we wanted to attend a Sunday evening Mass.

[quote="PatriceA, post:7, topic:319988"]
I'm not sure the OP is Catholic yet, they said they just started going to mass recently.

Plus Sunday evening masses are the exception in many areas of the country, or perhaps even the world. My area parishes, the latest Sunday Mass is 12:30pm. We would have to drive an hour if we wanted to attend a Sunday evening Mass.

[/quote]

Major metropolitan areas increasingly offer early evening and late evening Sunday Masses. There are at least 3 of those in my area.

[quote="Elizabeth502, post:2, topic:319988"]
They were about to process in, probably with palm branches in hand, per the Gospel for today. :)

[/quote]

It was snowing here yesterday :rolleyes: so instead of going outside we went to the multi-purpose room (gym, social hall, etc.) for the blessing of Palms and then proceeded in.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.