What was the faith of Mozart?

Was Mozart a Catholic? His music is the basis for so many hymns, my favorite being Requiem.

2 Likes

He was catholic but freemason, so it’s a bit ambiguous, like many intelectuals from the early modern era. He got along well with priests and bishops from his country, however.

3 Likes

Oh wow thank you. I didn’t know he was a Freemason. Was it not allowed to be a Freemason and a Catholic when he was alive though? I know Pope Leo Xlll condemned it in the 1880s but not sure how far back that prohibition of Catholics being Freemasons goes. Does it go all the way back to 1717?

2 Likes

The first prohibition against freemasonry came in 1738, with eminenti apostolatus of Pope Clement XII. I don’t think it was widely known, though.

While I think freemasonry as an institution is rotten since its creation in Scotland; I don’t think all freemasons are personally guilty of the anticlericanism that the sect has.

The greatest founder of my country for example (San Martín), while being a freemason, prayed the Rosary everyday and consecrated his army to Mary. So I think many freemasons were just deceived into thinking it was just a “social club”. it may apply to Mozart, seeing as he didn’t make any anticlerical statement in his life.

EDIT: I commited a mistake, it seems Mozart said some anticlerical things (IDK what), according to this nice article:

3 Likes

He sorta had to . . . they were his bread and butter, his patrons.

1 Like

I think the wrote Requiem toward end of his life. He saw man knock on door with mask , asking for concert and saying he’d pay for it. In Amadeus movie the man knocking at door w mask is Salieri his rival but I think that’s dramatized

1 Like

Amadeus dramatizes a vicious rivalry between Salieri and Mozart where Salieri wants him dead, so yes, that part is likely dramatized.

4 Likes

He received a Catholic funeral.

Sounds like a good film. I’m going to have to check it out.

1 Like

I don’t think saying anti clerical things in itself shows a disdain for the Church. Dante Alighieiri, Geoffrey Chaucer, and Erasmus of Rotterdam all said some critical stuff about the clergy yet remained loyal to the Church.

2 Likes

Just listening to his music leads me to believe Mozart was a good Catholic. I could be wrong.

My fave is his Requiem too. I’m happy whenever I hear it used in movies and in modern pop music because it just goes to show that God reaches everyone through His Beauty.

2 Likes

I agree. It is like Schuberts Ave Maria. It is just so Catholic, right when you hear it you know.

1 Like

Betulia Liberata is my favorite work by Mozart. It’s about Judith, but it’s in Italian and I can’t find the libretto in English. The only problem is that the symphony sounds too dramatic and some of the singers sound to operatic and has a plastic sound compared to some works that were composed earlier on.

It is beautiful I looked it up on YouTube. I never heard this one before!

He was a Freemason and received a Catholic funeral? Freemasons were barred from receiving a Catholic funeral. To the best of my knowledge, that is still the case (c.f. the decision by the CDF in the early 1980s under then-Cardinal Ratzinger).

The funeral was in Vienna at St. Stephens in 1791. The ban on freemasonry membership was not in effect in the Archduchy of Austria (Holy Roman Empire) until 1795.

Thank you.

I don’t understand. Someone above said
The first prohibition against freemasonry came in 1738, with eminenti apostolatus of Pope Clement XII.
If this was the case how could a ban have been postponed that long in that region? Is this ban you speak of online anywhere?

Holy Roman Emperor Franz II issued the edict to ban secret societies in 1795 (which was effective until 1918).
https://freemason-wa.org/2018/11/05/freemasonry-around-the-world-austria/

The Papal Bull In Eminenti was put into effect not only in the Papal States, but in Italy as a whole.
https://digitalcommons.northgeorgia.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1008&context=histphil_etd

2 Likes

Mozart was in a feud with the Archbishop of Salzburg, which he wrote about in one of his letters to his father. I believe he prefaced it with something along the lines of “God is good, but some of His representatives are not”…though it’s been a while since I’ve last read Emily Anderson’s edition of Mozart’s letters.

It’s not just the relationship between Mozart and Salieri which has been distorted and dramatized (they were actually collaborators and wrote a cantata together, which was lost for centuries but found in 2016). The entire story of the Requiem has been dramatized and distorted as well; in fact, there is evidence to suggest that the messenger not only was not the grey-cloaked, masked man of the popular imagination, but someone who was actually known to the Mozart family.

In Constanze Mozart: After the Requiem, musicologist Heinz Gärtner points out that the commissioner was Count Franz von Walsegg, and the messenger was most likely Anton Leitgeb; these names were familiar in Vienna’s musical circles at the time. Count Walsegg paid well and composers were anxious to receive commissions from him. (Historical fun fact: when the pope at the time was traveling to meet Emperor Joseph II in a diplomatic meeting in Vienna, he stayed overnight at Count Walsegg’s Stuppach Castle along the way.)

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.