What was the "Good" in the tree of Knowledge?

“And the Lord God brought forth of the ground all manner of trees, fair to behold, and pleasant to eat of: the tree of life also in the midst of Paradise: and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.” Genesis 2:9

What then was “Good” in this tree, if it causes the Fall of Adam and Eve?

I don’t know, but here’s what I think.

It’s the tree of KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL. Thus, in eating its fruits, one gains knowledge of what is good and what is bad. :man_shrugging:

That God created it. That’s all we need to know really, otherwise He would have told us.

I just listened to some of your playing and I’m feeling a lot better. Was a bit down with all the rain and cold. Thanks.

I think the answer to your question depends on which Biblical professor or commentary you consult. But the theory I would follow would be that it intiated the ability to judge and know the difference between what is good and evil. Simply eating it was the sin as an action against God. This created the fall and the ability for death to occur (including a seperation from God). Us falling is not the given evil of the tree exactly. Instead it is the effect of our chosen sin to disobey. The evil is the choice of sin through eating the fruit, breaking God’s only commandment of the day, creating an inroad for sin. So while the tree is called the tree of good and evil most scholars believe it to be simply referring to the knowledge of the difference between the 2. One which is of God and the other which is everything else defined as evil. Two polar opposites.

A better name to explain it would be “the knowledge between good and evil”.

The “good” was the pleasure that they derived from doing the “evil” that was forbidden.

It remains the same in many of todays alluring sins. There is pleasure in every sin. But then, there is also the punishment.

No physical entity or contrasting ‘item’ at all, in fact. The tree itself bore fruit of no special significance whatsoever, just an ordinary tree. Much like the others.

Except for perhaps only one thing. The fact that our Father had named it as standing different from the rest. A test, with a foreseen outcome.

Free will and choice, knowledge of good and evil, were a prerequisite state prior to and along side the event of the tree. So the physical ‘tree’ is almost irrelevant to the experience gained by A&E. Yet at the same time a key component of it.

The Tree represents a test but also a choice simultaneously.

You might say the consequence of the choice depended on the tree. So it was a prop, for a God who already knows that we all have much to learn. An unfathomable volume infact.

One understanding of the knowledge gained by eating of the fruit is the view that Adam & Eve would thereafter literally know, by experience, evil, along with the good of creation. Prior to their sin they wouldn’t know either, as distinctly identifiable realities because everything was good in their Edenic world. But in this non-Edenic world that we live in now we experience both good and evil daily. And the word used here for “know” in Genesis was most often used to describe that very kind of knowledge- direct experiential knowledge- such as knowing a spouse intimately for example.

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that some of the “Good” was God’s promise of a Redeemer. Thus Jesus is the Good!

Perhaps could be a better understanding of good morals and why they are good,. Perhaps greater scientific knowledge as well?

Ii think it’s the introduction of ego onto the human heart which decides for it’s self what is good apart from God.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.