What was the last book you stayed up late to finish reading?

It’s been a while.

*The Catcher in the Rye *and *The Exorcist *come to mind for me.

I go through phases where I’ll read a ton and then I won’t read anything. Most of the time when I read (fiction) I do what I call “binge reading” meaning I pretty much don’t stop until the book it done. The most recent books for me were The Help and The Hunger Games trilogy.

The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker

Yesterday, I stayed up late till like 2 AM reading Matthews Gospel. Though I rarely stay up reading really.

The Liturgy of the Hours. My wife and I got to bed late!:stuck_out_tongue:

All of them!

Currently, it is Black Out by Connie Willis; a time-trave tale.

The Catcher in the Rye and Mere Christianity (although it was an audiobook - don’t know if that counts)

The Book of Colt Firearms by R. L. Wilson.

“The Affair”, by Lee Child. It’s his latest and he’s one of my favourite fiction authors. Basically suspense/mystery/thriller with a very cool main character.

Rosemary’s Baby. I don’t recomend it; the style it’s written in is quite bland. Also, it’s written by a Satanist and I could feel as I was reading it that it was consecrated to Satan (this was before I knew it was written by a Satanist.)

I am not aware that Ira Levin who was the author of Rosemary's baby was ever a practising Satanist. It would seem odd if that were true as those committing evil acts are Satanists in the book and it would seem odd therefore for Levin to present his own faith in such a negative way if he was a Satanist.

Harlequin by Bernard Cornwell
Star Wars Darth Bane: Path of Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn

I am reading the Hunger Games trilogy and I started the second book (Catching Fire) yesterday at 3:30pm and stayed up until 3am last night to finish it! I am on the third one now - they're great!

I refuse to start a Mary Higgins Clark book just before bedtime or I WILL be calling out from work the next day!

[quote="ChibiViolet, post:10, topic:275666"]
Rosemary's Baby. I don't recomend it; the style it's written in is quite bland. Also, it's written by a Satanist and I could feel as I was reading it that it was consecrated to Satan (this was before I knew it was written by a Satanist.)

[/quote]

I think your confusing the author, Ira Levin, with famous satanist Anton LaVey.
The author of Rosemary's Baby was in no way a satanist (he portrays satanists as clearly the bad guys).
I happen to really like the book. I found it really scary.

I just read a book on anti-gravity. I still can't put it down!

[quote="bluerose, post:14, topic:275666"]
I refuse to start a Mary Higgins Clark book just before bedtime or I WILL be calling out from work the next day!

[/quote]

:eek:Aren`t her novels a bit warped?!!!

[quote="Ramalama, post:16, topic:275666"]
I just read a book on anti-gravity. I still can't put it down!

[/quote]

Good one! :D

"Ruined City" by Nevil Shute: a fictional British ship-building city whose economy has collapsed due to the Great Depression.
Finished it after 3:00 am this morning.

At high school, back in the early 1970s, i read Leon Uriss "Armageddon" by torch-light, in bed, under the blankets...... my mother hated Leon Uris. Late nights and sore eyes. :shrug:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sounds like the one I read on String Theory–I’m still tangled up in it.

Say, have you had any rendezvous lately?

[quote="Fiasco, post:17, topic:275666"]
:eek:Aren`t her novels a bit warped?!!!

Good one! :D

"Ruined City" by Nevil Shute: a fictional British ship-building city whose economy has collapsed due to the Great Depression.
Finished it after 3:00 am this morning.

At high school, back in the early 1970s, i read Leon Uriss "Armageddon" by torch-light, in bed, under the blankets...... my mother hated Leon Uris. Late nights and sore eyes. :shrug:

[/quote]

Nevil Shute--one of my favorite authors of all time. When I was 14, I brought his On the Beach home, finished it in one night, and couldn't sleep for a week! I remember my Dad getting up at 4am and finding me on the couch with the lights on. Still scares me.

:rotfl::rotfl:

Lately, I’ve been kept awake by The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole. I needed to read it for university and it turned out to be one of the best books I’ve ever read. :slight_smile:
Each night I try to read some Scripture, and that often keeps me up as I’m always discovering new things to focus on.
I’ve also started reading a biography of St. Teresa of Avila which is proving to be very insightful, though I’m not too far into it yet.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot is also fantastic; I’ve read it about four times and never get bored by it. It’s of a scientific nature so much of it is written in that vein, but it’s a wonderful book.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.