What was the original religion of Joseph Smith?

In reading his biography, I see where Joseph Smith went divining for treasure and joined the Free Masons. I also read about the progressive founding of Mormonism. I am curious and as a Catholic I would be, was he baptized in ANY Christian, trinitarian or not, religion before the age of 24? What type of religious beliefs existed in the home of his parents as he grew up?

Joseph said the Bible was read regularly in his home since early childhood and his family considered themselves Christian though they didn’t attend any church. When Joseph was 14 his mother and three siblings joined the Presbyterian faith. Joseph says he was “somewhat partial to the Methodist sect” but was never baptized. After his “first vision” experience at age fourteen he was told not to join any church. It wasn’t until the Nauvoo period that Joseph joined the Masons, which of course is a fraternity, not a religion.

[quote=Casen]Joseph said the Bible was read regularly in his home since early childhood and his family considered themselves Christian though they didn’t attend any church. When Joseph was 14 his mother and three siblings joined the Presbyterian faith. Joseph says he was “somewhat partial to the Methodist sect” but was never baptized. After his “first vision” experience at age fourteen he was told not to join any church. It wasn’t until the Nauvoo period that Joseph joined the Masons, which of course is a fraternity, not a religion.
[/quote]

So, then this would mean that Joseph was never baptized in the Trinity. This of course, you understand, would make it impossible for any Catholic to accept any vision or revelation he might have as having any relevance. Because for those who believe in a Trinitarian God, original sin, the sin of Adam, would still be with Joseph and he would be terribly subject to Satan. The same thing for any other Christian religion who Baptises in the Trinity. They would simply view Joseph as being mentally ill or under Satanic influence. this is not a correctable thing.

iwonder,
I wouldn’t expect you to believe Joseph Smith was a true prophet anyway since you’re Catholic so I’m not sure what your point is.

In any case, we’ve had several discussions about the Trinity in different threads. The LDS notion of the Godhead is actually not so different from your Trinitarian theology. You can do a search if you’re interested in the topic.

[quote=Casen]iwonder,
I wouldn’t expect you to believe Joseph Smith was a true prophet anyway since you’re Catholic so I’m not sure what your point is.

In any case, we’ve had several discussions about the Trinity in different threads. The LDS notion of the Godhead is actually not so different from your Trinitarian theology. You can do a search if you’re interested in the topic.
[/quote]

wrong. It’s extremely different. I think you need to research what the Christian Trinity is before you say the Mormon Trinity is the same. Your theology allows a trinity of a God who began as man and became God later. Our trinity is opposite. He was always God and cannot be anything else. through the incarnation, with the second person of the Trinity, he became man. His divinity never changed though. Your God was one who became divin later at some date we are not sure what it is. He is also one who “progresses” as people become equal to him. That is not a trinity. It is something else and i’m not sure what.

iwonder,
If you want to discuss the Trinity yet again then start a new thread advertising that fact and see if you get any bites. But we’ve discussed it a lot already.

I believe there are records which show that Joseph Smith applied for membership in a Methodist church after the supposed vision where he was commanded not to join any church!

Joseph Smith was never baptized a Methodist but there is evidence he joined a Methodist Bible study class for a short period. But I don’t think studying with them makes him a Methodist. Is that what you are suggesting?

I think the reason Catholics cannot accept J.S. as a true prophet has nothing to do with Catholicism perse, but rather to do with Jeses’ teaching that if a prophet is false just once then he is to be considered a false prophet. This becomes evident in the removal of The Doctrines and Covenant on polygamy. Either it is right or it is wrong? If it is wrong, then J.S. is a false prophet because he taught it as being needed for salvation. If it is right, then the LDS faith is now wrong - either way it makes for a stong case against Mormonism.

I do realize I’m on the attack, but clarifications would certainly help my opinion. I just really struggle with alot of the LDS beliefs, but I’m also open to understanding that I’m certainly ignorant.

SG

[quote=Seeks God]I think the reason Catholics cannot accept J.S. as a true prophet has nothing to do with Catholicism perse, but rather to do with Jeses’ teaching that if a prophet is false just once then he is to be considered a false prophet. This becomes evident in the removal of The Doctrines and Covenant on polygamy. Either it is right or it is wrong? If it is wrong, then J.S. is a false prophet because he taught it as being needed for salvation. If it is right, then the LDS faith is now wrong - either way it makes for a stong case against Mormonism.

I do realize I’m on the attack, but clarifications would certainly help my opinion. I just really struggle with alot of the LDS beliefs, but I’m also open to understanding that I’m certainly ignorant.

SG
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what they said in RCIA. Because Jesus said false teaching was the mark of a false prophet.

Casen is right about the Masonic afilliation not coming until much later in the live of JS, and well after his formation of the church.

This is the first time, however, that I have ever heard from an LDS that his association with the Methodists was only a “study group”; and I have seen this particular discussion often. If I may make the rare call for documentation, that I may see for myself this new evidence?

And yes, the LDS concept of the Trinity has been discussed ad nauseum (here and everywhere else that a mormon insists on making this claim). At the end of the day, however, the RCC maintains that it is not so similar as suggested. While not precisely *ex cathedra * (SP?), it is sufficient, I would think, for discussion resolution between those who participate here. I don’t think the opinions of a lay mormon are going to sway any catholic that the opinions of an RCC official are incorrect as to their own teaching, or as to the official position of even the LDS religion. It is a fun exersize occasionally, and you will find sincere mormons who hold trinitarian faith (as I did); but it is not the teaching of the CoJCoLDS. Just ask someone actually representing the church (not their own beliefs within the church).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.