What was your first concert?

I was wondering this since I just got tickets to a Bob Dylan concert, which is going to be my first concert ever (and I’m already 17).

So what was your first concert?

marshalltucker.com/ :smiley:

EDIT to add - that was back in the late 1970’s by the way. :wink:

~Liza

well, how to put this gently and in a good light...

I was 14 and it was Alice Cooper, Welcome to my Nightmare, at the Los Angeles Forum.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/adv1sor/images.jpg?t=1284159956

Sharon, Lois, and Bram :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=4h77BOu_aug

Now I have to go listen to them! If I can’t find the Chicken Song I will be very disappointed :frowning:

I went to a lot of jazz and classical concerts through grade school and middle school (and on), but I assume you mean more popular music.

I went and saw She Wants Revenge at a small club in Seattle when I was 16. They weren't very good, but the opening band was Astra Heights, and they were amazing! A group of brothers from Texas, plus a friend of theirs on guitar.

First big show had Wolf Mother, The Mars Volta, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Enjoy Dylan! That's a notable start to your concert going experience.

Barbara Mandrell, July 8, 1981 at the UTEP Special Events Center in El Paso, TX... I was fourteen and a huge fan of hers (her career was at its apex, her TV show a "never miss" in our home.)

That's my "official" answer, since we paid to see her. However, prior to that, I had probably seen more free concerts in the previous four years than I have seen paid concerts in the last thirty! Back then, when the "blue laws" were in effect, there were free concerts held almost every Sunday in all kinds of public venues, including the back parking lot of a popular country-western nightclub in El Paso... I saw George Strait for free about 10 times before I ever paid for a ticket! Other performers I saw for free on those Sunday afternoons with my family included Johnny Rodriguez, Ricky Van Shelton, Jerry Reed, Crystal Gayle, Ronnie Milsap, Sawyer Brown, and many others. Nowadays, it breaks the bank to go see a concert with your family... my husband and I (and his mom, uncle, brother and sister) just saw the legendary Ray Price about two weeks ago... to the tune of $75 each (and those were the CHEAP seats!)

Do local bands count? If so, then-unknown Gin Blossoms (original lineup) at a downtown arts fair.

If “regular” concert, then-unknown Green Day at some all-ages art space. I forgot who the opening act was. Everyone was crammed in like sardines.

First “major” concert was an outdoor “beach” concert with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Camper Van Beethoven, Mary’s Danish, and some other bands I don’t remember. That show rocked.

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:1, topic:212256"]
I was wondering this since I just got tickets to a Bob Dylan concert, which is going to be my first concert ever (and I'm already 17).

[/quote]

You're 17 and admitting to liking Bob Dylan? You have read this FUNNY story about torturing teenagers with his music :D:
"Seattle's The Stranger recently conducted a brilliant field test, if you will, which forced four 17-18 year olds to listen to nothing but Bob Dylan for 3 days. Specifically, the youngsters had to listen to Dylan's exhaustive three disc set Biograph while they packed for college and hung out with the rest their recent high school graduate friends. The young subjects were asked to rate Dylan on four categories: "Relevance to my life," "The quality of his voice," "Degree to which my parents thing he's important" and "Degree to which I think he's important."

The results were, for lack of a better term, rather candid.*"
thestranger.com/seattle/the-bob-dylan-torture-test/Content?oid=4792872

[quote="havana1, post:8, topic:212256"]
You're 17 and admitting to liking Bob Dylan? You have read this FUNNY story about torturing teenagers with his music :D:
"Seattle's The Stranger recently conducted a brilliant field test, if you will, which forced four 17-18 year olds to listen to nothing but Bob Dylan for 3 days. Specifically, the youngsters had to listen to Dylan's exhaustive three disc set Biograph while they packed for college and hung out with the rest their recent high school graduate friends. The young subjects were asked to rate Dylan on four categories: "Relevance to my life," "The quality of his voice," "Degree to which my parents thing he's important" and "Degree to which I think he's important."

The results were, for lack of a better term, rather candid.*"
thestranger.com/seattle/the-bob-dylan-torture-test/Content?oid=4792872

[/quote]

I like Dylan. His style of music is really good. I'm rather excited that BOB DYLAN is going to by my first concert. Just the fact that years down the road I can say, "I saw Dylan" is amazing.

That article is pretty sad that people can't recognize good music, but I expect that from my generation.

I was wondering this since I just got tickets to a Bob Dylan concert, which is going to be my first concert ever (and I'm already 17).

[/quote]

Hi Salesian,
My first concert was an ad hoc band fronted by the late Phil Lynott called 'The Greedy B**tards' in the Stardust, Artane, Dublin, November 1978. A great night.
(Sadly, the same venue burnt down over two years later with the loss of 48 lives. So my first concert has an associated sad memory.)

I hope you enjoy Dylan. I saw him play at Slane Castle here in Ireland in 1994.

God Bless,
Colmcille.:)

David Cassidy, 1973. I was eight or nine years old and was convinced that the rest of The Partridge Family would be there too.

I was sorely disappointed.

The Osmonds. I took my daughter, then only 8, and actually enjoyed what I thought would be a kiddy show.

I went to an Iron Maiden concert when I was a 7th or 8th grader......my friend's dad took us but he just stayed in the car. What a first concert!

The first concert I went to (as far as I can remember) was Roch Voisine. He's from eastern Canada, and actually has a really good voice (he also somehow did a duet with Richard Marx). I've got a couple of his CDs (one of something like 3 artists whom I have CDs for). I'm not sure if he does much singing anymore.

[/quote]

dad used to take us to summer Detroit symphony concerts at the fairgrounds in the evening, one of my earliest memories age 4 or 5. My first real concert in a hall (I am guessing it was Ford auditorium, this was before Cobo) was Peter and the Wolf by the DSO. My first rock concert was at the old Olympia in Detroit, Aretha Franklin and a new kid, younger than me, Little Stevie Wonder, they opened for some white acts that nobody remembers now. Saw Bob Dylan probably at Michigan State, but possibly Ann Arbor, I don't remember, in 67 or 68. whoa, one of us is really old (probably Bob he's even older than me). not really a concert but heard Bob Seeger before there was a silver bullet band at a club at 6 mile & Woodward in probably 66, can you believe people actually let their kids go down there? that was my first illegal club crawl. used to hang out with a U of D crowd while I was still in HS. don't tell my kids.

THE Go Go’s…yes I guess that dates me. :cool::rolleyes::smiley:

10-11 years old. Uncle took me to see Paul McCartney and WIngs
http://www.beatlesfannext.com/Wings_Detroit.jpg

My first concert was The Monkees in 1967. I was 12 years old. Everyone seemed to be screaming for Davy Jones (I liked Peter Tork;)). There was little interest in the back-up band...a talented guitarist named Jimi Hendrix!:blush::shrug:

The first concert I ever went to not by choice was probably Ricky Skaggs or Louise Mandrell (what can I say, my parents really like country music). :shrug:

I can't remember exactly which concert was the first one I went to by choice. It was either the Alice Cooper / Dokken / Warrant / Slaughter extravaganza or Queensryche. Or maybe it was Savatage or Dream Theater. I went to a lot of concerts in the summer of '97 and I can't remember which came first.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.