What was your very very first record/album/cd you ever owned?

Inspired by the “favorite rock album” thread…

What was the very very first piece of music you owned, and in what format?

Mine was a vinyl 45 of A Summer Song by Clive Metcalfe. My mother thought she was going to go insane because I played it over and over. :stuck_out_tongue:

My first album was Yellow Brick Road - Elton John. I cried when I got it for Christmas. Now I just pray for him. :rolleyes:

Can’t remember my first CD - I think it was Anita Baker

~Liza

My very first albums were two I received simultaneously, I guess when I was 4.

One was a soundtrack from Disney’s Cinderella… The other was a Sesame Street album. I had a little red record player, that folded up like a suitcase, and a matching case to put the 45’s in. :slight_smile:

The first CD I bought was Def Leppard … I think it was Hysteria. I bought my first CD player at the same time. The sales guy said I needed to buy the CD cleaning kit. I got home and sprayed the top side of the CD with the cleaning solution and wiped away … smudged all the ink on the CD. Duh!:doh2:

My first ever 45' single was 'Daydreamer' by David Cassidy! First Albumn was The Plan by The Osmonds

IIRC, my first was an LP, Jean Malo, a Quebec singer. My mother was a little peeved since I’d spent my babysitting money on an LP when we didn’t even have a record player. I used to take it to my friend’s house and listen there.

First Album ever given: Archies, Everthing’s Archies
First Album ever purchased:Kiss, Kiss Alive
First Album purchased that I still own: Fleetwood Mac, Rumors

They were all on vinyl

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/1597a0d298f2a272619a4446820f5e62/27630.jpg

http://listeningroom.lohudblogs.com/files/2009/03/kiss-alive1.jpg

http://stcatharines.cityguide.ca/lrhi3010.jpg

[quote="lizaanne, post:1, topic:206053"]
Inspired by the "favorite rock album" thread...

What was the very very first piece of music you owned, and in what format?

[/quote]

I think it might have been Gene Autry singing "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and it was, no doubt, a 78 RPM shellac record... (or was it on an Amberol cylinder?)

I think it was the Beatle's I wanna hold your hand/I saw her standing there.

I loved listening to the radio all the time. I never had much of an album or record collection.

Check this out lot's of my very fav's here. Those were the days. Enjoy

youtube.com/watch?v=AXqgO63b59c

Shaun Cassidy -Da Doo Run Run 45 - I think I was in 2nd grade. Major crush on Shaun. Santa Claus (aka my older sister) filled my stocking full of Shaun Cassidy stuff.

The first one I bought for myself was Jethro Tull's Aqualung.

(tbcrawford, I had The Plan too!) :D

Miz

I had one, too! My first 45 was “Smokey the Bear” (Smokey, the bear/ Smokey, the bear/ Prowlin’ and a-growlin’ and s-sniffin’ the air/ He can spot a fire before it starts to flame/ and that’s why we call him Smokey, that was how he got his name.)

When we graduated to a “real” record player, my first album was “Fun Rock” by various artists… remember these songs? Yummy, Yummy, Yummy; Jingle, Jangle, Jingle; Purple People Eater; Winchester Cathedral; Sugar, Sugar; Ahab the Arab; Itsy Bitsy, Teeny Weeny, Yellow Polka Dot Bikini; etc.

My first CD was Captain Jack’s debut album…Captain Jack. It was eurodance duo and listening back…ouch! My musical taste has evolved! Bring on the showtunes!

The “Mary Poppins” soundtrack. Supercalifrasticexpealadocious! :slight_smile:

“King Tut” by Steve Martin. I wish I had kept it.

And, IIRC, “Disco Duck” by Rick Dees. “Disco Duck” ruled.

The earliest music 78s (that I can remember) were “Sing a Song of Presidents” (which had a George Washington song on one side and a John F. Kennedy song on the other) and “Dominique” by the Singing Nun. We had some family albums (mostly Disney songs) but I think the first album that was actually MINE was “The Partridge Family Album”.

I no longer have those 78s but I still have the album. (But it’ s pretty scratched up.)

I did too!! :slight_smile: I think mine was yellow and white plastic. I played that thing till it died. I didn’t have the record case though, just the player.

~Liza

My first album was “Meet the Beatles.” (Just dated myself, didn’t I?) Don’t remember if I had 45’s before that or not.

I had a kiddie phonograph with those red discs, not 45s, smaller hole, with kiddie songs–songs from Wizard of Oz, Davy Crockett, some Disney movies, When you Wish Upon a Star was and is my favorite.

The first record I bought myself with my own money, 45 naturally, was Surfer Girl (first tune to which a boy asked me to dance). First album was certainly a beatles, Meet?

1st 45 was Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye by Steam (the band that never was)

BlueRose that is too funny…my husband has that same 45 and made me listen to it!! We actually recorded it to use as background music to our school’s float in a local parade a few years ago, (our float theme was Smokey!!!).

My first album was Andy Williams “Canadian Sunset” … a Christmas gift along with the orange plastic record player. The first 45 I bought was “The Pied Piper” by Crispian St. Peters. Second was “Holiday” by the BeeGees.

Here’s something really funny… a friend of mine used to work at the Smokey Bear Museum in Capitan, NM and it used to irritate her to no end that people said “Smokey THE Bear”… She’d say, “It’s Smokey Bear, not Smokey THE Bear, you don’t say Bugs THE Bunny, Mickey THE Mouse, Santa THE Claus, etc.” We’d tell her to blame it on the song!

Other albums we “played to death” were “Sing Along with Mitch Miller and the Gang: Christmas”, Gene Autry’s “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer” (which I found on CD last year, the original one with Gene’s commentary throughout the album!) and a Peter Nero album of (I think) movie theme songs. I’m sure my parents owned others, but those are the ones that stand out!
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.