What will be my responsibility?

I am in RCIA and am planning to enter the Catholic Church. Both I and my husband are baptized Christians. He is accepting of my decision, but still very opposed to the Church. Once I enter the Church, will we need to go through any Catholic counseling? Will we need to have our marraige blessed? Will I be expected to promise to raise as Catholic any children we may have in the future, just as an engaged couple would be? I would love to, but my husband would have a serious problem with that. I would like to know what will be expected of me ahead of time, so that we can better prepare for it as a couple. Thank you and God bless you.

Dear A,

The Catholic Church recognizes the marriage of the non-baptized as valid and the baptized of other churches and valid AND sacramental. So you will not need to have your marriage blessed. You will need to be willing to do all in your power to have any future children brought up in the faith. Give your husband some time and keep praying for him. Welcome! You both are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.