What will fully cleanse me of occult past?

I was involved in Paganism for eight years - not deeply involved, but I went to a couple of rituals and I considered myself Pagan and wore an occult symbol on my body.
I have since realised how wrong I was and have prayed and deeply repent of my actions.
How can I remove the stain of what I have done? I am truly sorry and ashamed of it.
Please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place, I am new here and am trying to find my way around the forum.

Go to confession, and resume your attendance at Mass on every Holy Day and at every other opportunity. And then go to confession frequently.

If you’re not a member of the Catholic Church, become one. The Sacraments are powerful means by which Christ infuses us with his divine life.

Even after I came back to Christ as a non-Catholic, I never experienced peace until I entered the Catholic Church. After my first confession,…wow…I’d never felt such a burden lifed in my entire life. And when I first received our Lord in the Eucharist it was like something burst open inside of me and swept me away in a river of living water.

You are contrite and have prayed for forgiveness.
In the eyes of God you are forgiven.

Often times it is not God who we need forgiveness from but ourselves. I too have wrestled with my past. Many things that I did that I regret. I know that God has forgiven me but until I can fully forgive myself, I just have to keep on praying.

Suggestions:
Confession to a priest if you have not already done so.
Attend Mass as often as possible. Daily if you can.
Go to Church and just sit with the Lord and contemplate.
Pray daily and often. Use quick little prayers throughout the day like the one in my signature.
Pray the Rosary.
Do all things for the Glory of God.

Peace
James

Simple: sacrament of reconciliation (confession). On your knees, facing the priest, with nothing to veil your face, if possible.

Thankyou, I appreciate your replies.
I am not yet a member of the church, but I go to Mass as often as I can during the week and all Holy days and Sundays, I pray every quiet moment I have during the day and pray the rosary every night.
I am so glad to have found faith and I thank the Trinity and Our Lady for guiding me out of the darkness.
I am praying for guidance on how to bring this subject up with the Priest at my church.

Please pray for me if you can,

Thanks again,
Kitty

You now realize the errror of your ways, however for something to be a sin you have to know it is wrong and freely choose to do it anyway.

If your involvement in paganism was prior to learning the Truth of the Gospel, it probably does not fall into the category of “sinful” but you definitely should discuss any concerns with your priest.

Since you are seeking to join the church, you will either (a) receive baptism or (b) go to first Reconciliation prior to Confirmation if you were previously baptized in another Christian denomination.

Baptism washes away original sin and all personal sin. Reconciliation absolves from any post-baptismal sins.

Kitty, do everything that neophyte and JRKH told you; and in the meantime, go to these two sites and use the prayers they contain. I would suggest finding a quiet, safe place where you will not be interrupted, and using both sets, if necessary.

These sites have binding prayers over various demonic or occultic forces you may have dabbled with in the past; it’s a good idea to do some soul-searching as you read through them to get a handle on which groupings may apply to you, and to name those groups specifically as you later pray the prayers.

I have used these prayers in my own life (not for the occult or paganism, but for other things I had gotten involved in), and they certainly helped me.

catholicwarriors.com/pages/warfare_prayers.htm

stmichael.pair.com/prayers.html

God bless you, and stay strong! :slight_smile:

Perhaps a small thing, but you might want to consider using new metaphors and new ways of describing things.

Your signature suggests you’re still stuck in a heavily naturalistic perspective. Just 2 cents.

I didn’t notice the signature. Is it Gealic? Can anyone translate it?

James

Only a little…To (or in) the Name of Mary, Mother of God…

Winterflower - Buy a sterling silver Celtic cross and have it blessed by a priest. Wear it. Even though this hymn is Anglican, my choir sang it and it is a source of great comfort to me in times of oppression or danger.

justus.anglican.org/resources/bio/124.html

Here’s the music:

oremus.org/hymnal/i/i024.html

I sang this before Katrina and Rita hit. The sterling silver Celtic cross is in honor of St. Patrick who did a bang-up job of converting the Irish Celts.

It is the second half of the Hail Mary in Gaelic.

Maxply, I find it a little offensive that you think that use of the Gaelic language implies paganism.

Sorry. My mistake. I meant “screen name” or Poster’s name, here it is Winterflower.

I didn’t see the “signature” in the public profile before this. I actually just meant “winterflower” as being naturalistic sounding. A lot of pagans in my experience get heavily into identifying with nature.

Again, sorry. No harm intended!:slight_smile:

No problem!:slight_smile:

Thankyou for your replies, I had not thought about my name on here being Paganistic, I was trying to think of a name and just had happened to notice the first flowers had come out in my garden and it made me think of the Sermon on the Mount.
I will look into how to change my name on here to something more appropriate.

P.S. I chose part of the Hail Mary in Irish Gaelic as my signature in respect for those of my family who are already members of the one True Faith as it reminds me that I am coming home.

Just be blunt, like you were here. If you feel you can’t talk, print out what you wrote here and hand it to the priest.

I don’t think that is necessary. What is most important is what you think of it. If it draws your attention to the sermon on the mount, great! :thumbsup:

It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Winterflower,
Please don’t change your name. It is wonderful. Full of beauty and hope. Like God blooming in our hearts in the deepest of the cold dark hours. Besides, God is also the God of nature is he not?
Occaionally we will get a little off base, assuming something that isn’t true.

Pax
James

Don’t change your screen name. Others assumed something that isn’t true. There are all sorts of screen names, and yours is just fine.

And, just remember, flowers in winter were part of the miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

While this may be difficult to do, try to obtain some exorcised water and salt. These items are very powerful sacramentals, and the blessings can be performed by any priest. However, it will probably be difficult to find a priest willing to blessings. FSSP priests usually do it and may even have some exorcised items left over from Epiphany. God bless you!

There are many of us who have some serious ghosts in the closet from “past lives.” Such is the state of man…we are all fallen creatures (the Immaculate Conception was, after all, a one-time event).

Although we can be contrite over the sin, confess it, and be absolved of it, we still have our memories to deal with. Our true contrition actually is revealed in the grief we feel when we recall our past. After all, if we didn’t feel horrible about a sin, are we truly contrite?

If we were truly spiritual beings, once our sin was forgiven, we would forget about it. But we still have our minds of flesh and blood…and the memories that are burnt in those fleshy minds. The key is to not only recall the sin, but recall the forgiveness that you receive once the sin is confessed and absolved. (I am speaking as if your confession was in the past, but as you posted, this is still to happen in the future).

Other posters have talked about frequent reception of the sacraments and the use of sacramentals. Those are all pieces of good advice that you should take. Frequent reception of the Eucharist strengthens you and makes real the paschal sacrifice of Christ when you witness the re-presentation at the altar. Reception of Sacramental Absolution (through Reconcilliation) provides healing of your spiritual wounds and makes you disposed to receive the graces from the other sacraments. The use of sacramentals, such as holy water and blessed salt, are used by God as very powerful weapons in the spiritual battle.

In addition to those, I would suggest that you remove any artifact from your house that is connected, either directly or through your memories, to your involvement in the occult. They are properly burnt and buried. I would then ask your priest to exorcise your house and would suggest that you hang St. Benedict Crucifixes over all the entries to your house once it has been exorcised. There is a particular blessing for the St. Benedict Crucifix that should be used (be sure that your priest use the appropriate blessing for them).

The reason I suggest you destroy any item that is connected with the occult is not only to remove any spiritual influence that they may have, but also to remove the opportunity Satan has to use those items to bring back memories, either good or bad, from your involvement with the occult. The purpose of the priestly exorcism of the house is to remove, in the name of Christ Jesus, any spiritual influence from the past. Finally, the purpose of hanging the St. Benedict Crucifixes over the entrances to the house is to provide protection against the negative spiritual influences returning.

Despite all that you can do, though you need to recognize that your mind is fleshy, though, and there truly is little you can do about it. Even St. Paul cried, “Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?” (Rom 7:24 RSV) Having memories come up is natural. Mourning over those memories is natural. Removing the occasion of those memories coming up will help you put them properly in the past, once you are absolved of them. But if and when those memories do return, you must never forget the mercy of God, who sent His Son for your sins, and those of the whole world. When those memories of your past come up, the most important thing is to remember that God’s mercy is bigger than any sin.

Hebrews 4:16
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

1 John 1:8-10 (King James Version)

8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Acts 19:19
Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.

Hi Winterflower, you need only approach God in prayer seeking forgiveness from him, confessing your sins to God directly. I would advise you get rid of any occultic items, books or whatever. If you have a pagan tattoo, then seek to modifly it enough to either neuturalize it, or make it something that glorifies Christ. Fellowship with believers and seek out an accountablity partner other than a priest, perferrely someone who has walked in the path you are traveling.

geocities.com/expagan4christ/

exwitch.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=41&Itemid=23

web.mac.com/johngibson/expagan/Home.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.