What will happen

What do you thinks going to happen, with the price of gas, food, and everything so high, do you think people are going to become more close as familys, or do you think its going to tear them apart more. I wonder is this is Gods way to show us how spoiled we have been, and how miserable we have been with what we have. Maybe now that we have to stay home more, and buy less, we can appreciate what we have, and enjoy it more instead of wanting more. I know my kids 26 and 22 are home more, and want to do family things more, play cards, sit on the porch more and talk, so maybe its not such a bad thing, How is it effecting your family?

We will probably go into recession. People will start to resent the governments in the West. Society will become bitter.

We, as Catholics, will continue to praise God, perhaps with less material goods.

Now, is that concise enough?:smiley:

I expect a period of inflation. We have already seen a jump in food prices as a result of increased transportation costs.

The same thing happened the last time we had a big jump in gas prices in the early 70s. That started a period of significant inflation which lasted for about about 20 years.

So for me, I am driving less, taking fewer trips and stocking up on non-perishable food from Costco to soften the blow of higher food prices. I am even considering buying a small freezer. And it is just me and my Mom at home now.

It’s not affecting me much at all, as I have never been able to afford travel, hotels, airfare, eating out, gas guzzlers, the latest electronic gadgets, etc. I’ve been to a movie theater perhaps three times in the last 15 years. I can’t even remember the last time I bought either steak or fish. Not everyone in the United States has been spoiled.

It’s better to be happy with what you have than to wish you had more. Old Swedish expression (in English): Use what you have, and you’ll never be in need. :slight_smile:

Thank you CarolAnn. I always admire someone who remains frugal. :slight_smile:

By the way, your expression reminded of a little saying when I was learning to fly airplanes. It was about evaluating weather condition and deciding whether to go up or not.

It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air and wishing you were on the ground.

Okay, back to the topic.

There is no doubt that we in the West are incredibly spoiled. Two thirds of the world live in poverty. Two thirds of the world don’t know where their next meal is coming from. We in the West think. ‘Oh dear, I can’t have a holiday this year, oh dear, can’t buy my kids the most fashionable clothes.’ There are people in the world think a clean shirt is a luxury. In my part of the world, things have gone mad. House prices are horrendous. Rates food electric has doubled in price, I could go on and on. I said to my husband, look on the bright side, we can still pay our bills, we have food on the table, good food. We never do without meat and fresh fruit and vegetables. We own our own home and are in no danger of loosing it, yet! When we have no money, we borrow. Material things are so impermanent and we in the affluent West don’t know that. The hardest thing we have to deal with in the West is distractions. Earning a living, paying bills etc, all for material gain all to keep us happy. I often wonder what I would do if materially, I lost everything. Perhaps I would have more faith and trust in God and as you say, appreciate those we love, our family more. Perhaps it’s God’s way of showing us that above all else we need him. People in impoverished countries are often more spiritual because they need to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.