What will heaven be like?

I was talking with men in the local county jail and I asked them to tell me what they thought hell would be like. And they were very detailed in expressing their views of an existance in hell. Then I asked them to tell me what they would experience in heaven for all of eternity. Their answers were very vague e.g. “you will be in God’s Kingdom.” or “You will be perfectly happy for all of eternity.” And I continued to probe asking, “What is God’s Kingdom like?” and “What will make you perfectly happy there?” And they could not get down to any detail substance. I left them with this thought, “The best way to get to hell is to try not to go there, the best way to get to heaven to want to go there. To want to go any place is to know that place.”

Actually the best way to get to hell, is to live like you believe that it does not exist.

Heaven is finding out that God is exactly as we thought He would be, loving, kind and merciful. It is reuniting with friends and loved ones, and discovering that all the promises of eternal life is true. It is discovering that love endures forever and knowing with absolute certainty that the skeptics were wrong.

Hell, for those who led lives like they never believed in God, is finding out God is exactly as everyone always claimed, just and real. It is realizing that they were completely wrong and knowing that it is too late to do things differently.

Heaven is being able to eat all the ice cream or banana cream pies that I want without getting sick or fat.

[quote=EJLAFOSSE]And they were very detailed in expressing their views of an existance in hell. Then I asked them to tell me what they would experience in heaven for all of eternity. Their answers were very vague…
[/quote]

It is easier to imagine hell than heaven, because life on earth looks more like hell than heaven.

1 Corinthians 2:9

[quote=barsapp]It is easier to imagine hell than heaven, because life on earth looks more like hell than heaven.
[/quote]

Isn’t that the truth! Not to mention when we have arguments on this forum! :stuck_out_tongue: Oh and not to mention when we asks questions or new people are here to get help we can be so cruel and not nice and yes, I can say this too for myself!:hmmm:

[quote=EJLAFOSSE]I was talking with men in the local county jail and I asked them to tell me what they thought hell would be like. And they were very detailed in expressing their views of an existance in hell. Then I asked them to tell me what they would experience in heaven for all of eternity. Their answers were very vague e.g. “you will be in God’s Kingdom.” or “You will be perfectly happy for all of eternity.” And I continued to probe asking, “What is God’s Kingdom like?” and “What will make you perfectly happy there?” And they could not get down to any detail substance. I left them with this thought, “The best way to get to hell is to try not to go there, the best way to get to heaven to want to go there. To want to go any place is to know that place.”
[/quote]

Where are treasure is, there also is our heart. The problem is that our hearts are in the place that we secretly think is more of a “treasure” (i.e. more exciting): hell.

I think this is a very important thread. We don’t know which way to go and, what’s worse, we don’t even care that we don’t know.

The thing on earth that I believe is most like heaven: Making movies.

I think there’s a verse where it says it has not even entered the heart of man the things that God has prepared for us. Man, thats a wonderful thought, can you imagine the most beautiful pace you have ever seen on earth and then imagine that heaven is infinitely more beuatiful than that, it is awe inspiring. The BEST thing about heaven to me will be seeing Jesus and Mary and all the saints. What a celebration we will have.

[quote=barsapp]It is easier to imagine hell than heaven, because life on earth looks more like hell than heaven.
[/quote]

This is true. There are some glimmers of hope though.

Eamon

I had never thought much about heaven except for knowing that you would be with God, and it was infinately better than here…until I read the book the five people you meet in heaven. It’s fiction, but the idea behind it really struck me as making sense.

The idea that every action, choice we make here has a chain affect that effects another in some way. This is why we are encouraged to always make the highest choices, not that that’s something I’ve been smart enough to accomplish on many occurances.

Could you imagine having to relive some of your bad choices and see the consequences of them that you didnt’ know about here on earth? That would be hell for some of us (figuratively), but if we lived our life doing good for others, and putting them before us we would be able to relive that instead, and see how we helped them find God. My favorite part of the book or my idea of heaven is the ending. You’ll have to read the book. What better prize is there than that?

I know it’s a fiction book, but until I know of any better idea of the place- I’ll hold onto this one.

What Will Heaven Be Like?

Good question.
About 3 hours ago, I was just talking with someone about this very question.

In heaven we will be fully recollected in God’s love.

The earth is but a mere reflection of Him. Here on this earth which God has so extravagantly given to us we are to obey and love Him.

Think of how difficult it is to be recollected of Christ’s love. But don’t we all love most, the times when we are in touch with God’s love?

Our lives are full of distractions and we don’t always obey God’s commands.

In heaven, there will be no more distractions, we will be fully and happily praising and loving God. We will have all the beauty of the earth plus more than we can imagine. We will be free of our bodies and all earthly troubles that burden us here.

[quote=EJLAFOSSE] Then I asked them to tell me what they would experience in heaven for all of eternity. Their answers were very vague e.g. “you will be in God’s Kingdom.” or “You will be perfectly happy for all of eternity.” And I continued to probe asking,** “What is God’s Kingdom like?”** and “What will make you perfectly happy there?” And they could not get down to any detail substance. I left them with this thought, "The best way to get to hell is to try not to go there, the best way to get to heaven to want to go there. To want to go any place is to know that place."
[/quote]

What is it about heaven that will make us happy? How will we know that it is God we are with? How will we recognise Him?

It seems as if EJLAFOSSE’s last statement is true. It seems that a continual seeking after what heaven is like is very much a prerequisite to getting there.

These are some of the reasons that I believe that the advent of movie-making is the advent of heavenliness. (Culminating in the perfect father/directors Federico Fellini and David Lynch. “Be perfect even as your heavenly father is perfect.” To these two directors, everything in the world - even sin - is a useful plaything.) This is why I believe that God had to reveal himself ultimately through a movie (Mulholland Drive).

Well if hell is the absolute absence of God then Heaven is the absolute presence of God. To describe it physically is impossible as we can’t even fathom basking in the light of his glory. I personally don’t think hell is hot…I think it is very very cold and lonely. Heaven would be warm from the Fathers love. A love so good and so pure that it would be bright and warm…

[quote=BlestOne]Well if hell is the absolute absence of God then Heaven is the absolute presence of God. To describe it physically is impossible as we can’t even fathom basking in the light of his glory. I personally don’t think hell is hot…I think it is very very cold and lonely. Heaven would be warm from the Fathers love. A love so good and so pure that it would be bright and warm…
[/quote]

So you think the saying should go …
— when Hell thaws
not
— when Hell freezes over!?

Hi Fashina…Yup I hate cold weather…so that is how I picture hell. Cold and lonely!!!
I prefer when hell warms up…
or
when satan has to put his toboggan away…

We were made by God and destined for God. In essence, we are incomplete until we are in perfect union with Him (I believe someone said “Everyone has a God shaped hole”). Heaven is perfect union in the love of God (with all the faithful) (and God is love :wink: ). Hell is (at least is what frightens me about it) eternal seperation from God and eternal damnation with Satan. shivers

[quote=katieq]We were made by God and destined for God. In essence, we are incomplete until we are in perfect union with Him (I believe someone said “Everyone has a God shaped hole”). Heaven is perfect union in the love of God (with all the faithful) (and God is love :wink: ). Hell is (at least is what frightens me about it) eternal seperation from God and eternal damnation with Satan. shivers
[/quote]

See KatieQ gets shivers from the thought of Hell too…
I still maintain hell is a cold lonely place due to the complete absence of our Fathers love…burrrr

Hell is hilariously ridiculous dullness (from the outside). Maybe hell is even like a T.V. set that’s always on in heaven - as a continuous source of entertainment for the saints? We all know that there is nothing on this earth funnier than watching another person ‘duking it out’ with the various inanimate objects that get in the way of his will being done…don’t we?

I read a wonderful analogy once for you dog lovers…

You can take a dog to a strange place, behind a strange door. But if he/she hears his masters voice on the other side he will do everything to gain entry and be reunited, not knowing or caring what else may be there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.